Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 New 23 LSV with 450 or 2016 25 LSV with 450 indmar and 250 hours

Raleigh

19 hours ago, hethj7 said:

But, I think I'd take the 2019 23LSV if prices were basically equal.  

There would probably be about a spread of $20k-$25k between these boats after all is said and done.

19 hours ago, hethj7 said:

That is a pretty tight window to always have the first of the next generation boat

This is so true. It almost takes some of the strategy out of it. Just get what you want and deal with the resale design differences as they come. It makes it very difficult to forecast resale potential with all these unknowns.

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I don't think there is a right and wrong, just better and best. 

Damn fine point.

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

You could be unhappy with all of your options too, if that is also your demeanor.  

Agree completely. I will just have to be happy with what I have. I will say I am not unhappy now... just that I would like to get into an inboard and that 25 wave looks really nice! The A20 would even be a huge upgrade for me. So perhaps I am splitting hairs here. 

23 hours ago, Raleigh said:

I hadn't considered this.  The 2019 as an outdated boat seems ridiculous at first (we are in the year 2019), but now I see what you are saying here completely. 

I disagree with 2019 being dated in any way. 

I have spent time with the new screens and other than changing colors and a cheap built in android device (that will stop being supported in a few months), it is a lipstick change.

The 2019 has the new hull introduced in 2018 and goes unchanged in 2020.

The 2019 has the larger surf gates (introduced in 2019).

The (late) 2019 models have the new Malibu motors which are also unchanged.

The 17" prop and some denser foam are all I see in the 2020 23 LSV.  Is this a big change? .... yes it is.  Its it a must have .. only for the 1%-er's on this forum.  Since you are in "Paralysis by Analysis" (per your signature), then go buy a brand new 2020 25 LSV.  We can always find fault in anything but the latest and greatest.   :biggrin:  There are 1,000 2019 23 LSVs out there with families making the best of memories.  Fact is, you can't win if you don't play .. so pick something and don't look back!

51 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Agreed.

@Raleigh - we were in a similar situation no more than 45 - 60 days ago.  We were more looking at new for the warranty aspect.  But, like most on this forum, I am very analytical.  I had been charting all the quotes that I had been getting on everything from a G23 to a X23 (and all in between).  And to make a very long story short - I was able to get a '19 23 LSV for virtually the same price as the same equipped '18.  Actually better when you consider the swim step - which is a huge hit.  There is a lot of inventory at the end of this season.  We felt it was our time based on the value we were getting and where interest rates are (yes, I financed my boat - polarizing topic around here - I know).  If you can find something that is a late '19 that you like - I would look very closely.  A ton of value.  I am confident that a 2020 isn't going to hold the same value nor are they going to have the same levels of inventory at the end of 2020. 

Just my experience.  Love following!

Edited by Five Cent Worth
typo
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Agreed.

@Raleigh - we were in a similar situation no more than 45 - 60 days ago.  We were more looking at new for the warranty aspect.  But, like most on this forum, I am very analytical.  I had been charting all the quotes that I had been getting on everything from a G23 to a X23 (and all in between).  And to make a very long story short - I was able to get a '19 23 LSV for virtually the same price as the same equipped '18.  Actually better when you consider the swim step - which is a huge hit.  There is a lot of inventory at the end of this season.  We felt it was our time based on the value we were getting and where interest rates are (yes, I financed my boat - polarizing topic around here - I know).  If you can find something that is a late '19 that you like - I would look very closely.  A ton of value.  I am confident that a 2020 isn't going to hold the same value nor are they going to have the same levels of inventory at the end of 2020. 

Just my experience.  Love following!

+1 on this for sure.  I'm in the same situation you were in 45-60 days ago looking at a '19 23LSV and moving our 2017 22VLX that we've only had for a season......

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

+1 on this for sure.  I'm in the same situation you were in 45-60 days ago looking at a '19 23LSV and moving our 2017 22VLX that we've only had for a season......

Yea, had the 21' VLX for 1.25 seasons.  ~130 hrs bought in May of '18.  We are very happy with our move.  

On 10/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, Raleigh said:

Specking a 2020 is something to consider as well, but I think my dealer is not going to give me the kind of deal I would expect for a new build. 

Start working on them now!

@Raleigh Go ride a 23. Then go ride a 25. Let the smiles on your face make your decision. I rode a 17 23LSV,  & 18 23 LSV. I ended up ordering a 25LSV without even doing a demo. So glad I did. I tweek the wave a little here and there. It could be way better, and it is still better than either 23 that I rode.

42 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Yea, had the 21' VLX for 1.25 seasons.  ~130 hrs bought in May of '18.  We are very happy with our move.  

We love our 22 VLX, but could use a little more space.  I've been on a couple 23LV's and they are certainly better than the 22 VLX.  I'm just waiting for my local dealer to get their crap together on the deal......

We're close, but not where I need to be. 

9 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I have spent time with the new screens and other than changing colors and a cheap built in android device (that will stop being supported in a few months), it is a lipstick change.

The 2019 has the new hull introduced in 2018 and goes unchanged in 2020.

The 2019 has the larger surf gates (introduced in 2019).

The (late) 2019 models have the new Malibu motors which are also unchanged.

The 17" prop and some denser foam are all I see in the 2020 23 LSV.  Is this a big change? .... yes it is.  Its it a must have .. only for the 1%-er's on this forum.  Since you are in "Paralysis by Analysis" (per your signature), then go buy a brand new 2020 25 LSV.  We can always find fault in anything but the latest and greatest.   :biggrin:  There are 1,000 2019 23 LSVs out there with families making the best of memories.  Fact is, you can't win if you don't play .. so pick something and don't look back!

I think the 2019 is a great boat and I'd be proud to own one if it was my boat.

But, if you look at Malibu's recent track record think about the boats that would be high on your list as a used boats:

2014-2017 - The 2014 I owned was a great boat. New hull, surfgate but old electronics. 2015 is a "tweener". 2016 and 2017 are very similar in this generation. I know a few of the trouble spots from the 2016 were fixed in the 2017 but almost all of those would have been addressed under warranty for a 2016. If I was looking to buy in this generation I'd only be looking at 2016 and 2017s

If Malibu stays consistent with their current generational path then it is not unreasonable to say that the 2018 was the new hull with almost everything else from the previous generation. The 2019 has a lot of great qualities but the 2020 and 2021 will be the boats from this generation that are the most desirable on the used market when we are all looking at new and used boats in 2022 and beyond.

Everyone on this forum has the same blessing...we own a Malibu or did at one time and still care enough to be a part of this forum. All I'm trying to say to @Raleighis that if I was buying a boat in this generation of Malibu's at this point in time I'd seriously consider the 2020. You can discredit the new screen and say that a 17" prop is only for the 1% (which is hilarious that we're arguing about the 1% on the MalibuCrew) but I think those are the types of upgrades that stand out in previous generations if you're shopping for a used boat.

For $125k I think you could build out a perfect 2020. It might not have docking lights, it might not be covered in flake front to back, it might get aftermarket tower speakers (Love Exile) and it will certainly have the G3.5 tower but it would also have Malibu's latest generation of screen and software, a 1 year bake on the new engines, a 17" prop and you might be able to squeeze in the M6 motor.

My $.02. @Raleigh On this forum we all own depreciating assets. If you're looking to buy one of these amazing depreciating assets buy one that #1 makes you and your family happy and #2 is the depreciating asset that is the most desirable within it's own generation. That way if you ever want to sell, trade or otherwise change your holding of said depreciating asset you'll have a better chance of doing so.

9 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I think the 2019 is a great boat and I'd be proud to own one if it was my boat.

But, if you look at Malibu's recent track record think about the boats that would be high on your list as a used boats:

Its a carrot on a stick .. you can always find something.  
2015 - game changer .. new screens
2016 - game changer .. new motor, malibu trailer and updated screens
2018 - game changer .. new hull
2019 - game changer .. new motor
2020 - game changer .. 17" proper and new screens (that do the exact same thing)
2021 - game changer ... (insert improvement here)

For $125k you should get EVERYTHING you want.  If you can't, I'll sell you a used 2020 with zero hours on it.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 10/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, Stevo said:

I’d pass on the 2016 25 just for the 15’in prop,  the 17 is the way to go to move that beast 

dont be so convinced, 17in prop steeper angle less fwd motion compared to 15, which does just fine.. more bow rise on the newer 17 in models as well.. odd..given that bigger angle but interesting. I think maybe a trans gear ratio differences well ? 

2016 heck of a deal for 95-105k range fully loaded these days. and a better taller G4 compared to that junk g3 .. ok 3.5 tower..  

hard to beat one of the top 3 surf waves on the market of any brand make or model for around 100k 

Edited by The Hulk
4 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

dont be so convinced, 17in prop steeper angle less fwd motion compared to 15, which does just fine.. more bow rise on the newer 17 in models as well..

2016 heck of a deal for 95-105k range fully loaded these days. and a better taller G4 compared to that junk g3 .. ok 3.5 tower..  

Not that I doubt this. But a steeper prop angle with ‘less forward motion‘ is going to equal more upward force on the stern. The moment will result in a pivot of the bow down, not up. You can’t have both without more variables.  So what’s the variable? That has to be properly named and considered to be fairly compared.  

G3.5 is fine. G4 is fine. They serve different functions. Both better and worse than the other. Otherwise you’d only see one. Not two. 

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

dont be so convinced, 17in prop steeper angle less fwd motion compared to 15, which does just fine.. more bow rise on the newer 17 in models as well..

I did not experience this.  Having owned  a 16 25 LSV and an 18 25 LSV I found the opposite to be true.  The stern seems to be pushed up driving the bow down compared to the 2016.  This also allowed a much more consistent planing speed at slower MPH without constant throttle adjustment because of the stern being up and the bow down. 

• Like 2

did the rear PNP change? I know some folks have bags as high as transom others about 8in below

I have noticed if I get my bow sac about 1ft too far rear in the cabin then it's too much in the rear and bow rises too high so perhaps its PNP differences?

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

did the rear PNP change? I know some folks have bags as high as transom others about 8in below

I have noticed if I get my bow sac about 1ft too far rear in the cabin then it's too much in the rear and bow rises too high so perhaps its PNP differences?

PNP is just suggested by malibu, not provided. It’s up to the boat owner to decide what bags they are going to use. 

• Like 2