Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 New 23 LSV with 450 or 2016 25 LSV with 450 indmar and 250 hours

Raleigh

Ok we’ve found two boats the wife likes. We’re still looking at other options (building an Axis) but these two boats are good deals now that the season is ending for us here and fit our fear of losing money on future trades. One of our main concerns is resale (besides surf wave). 

Both boats work for us color ways wise and we’re resolving our towing issues in the spring.  We’re between a 2016 25 LSV with the 450 Indmar (15” prop) and 250 hours all freshwater for ~95k and a new 2019 23 LSV with the GM 450 for ~125k. Prices are negotiable for both. 

We boat at 200’ elevation mostly, with an annual trip at 3000’ and a weekender at 800’.

The 25 LSV is the front runner as we like the colors a bit more and the speakers and everything are better. Interior needs some detailing but it’s been well cared for and maintained. It will be out of warranty when it transfers to us, however. 

The 23 LSV is newer obviously and has the swim platform which is nice. The 25 LSV engine will be louder but the size of the swell (and the speakers) should more than make up for that. 

Any and all comments appreciated. 
:werule:

I’ve ridden in my 21 vlx, dads 23 xti, and bros 25 lsv . No comparison on ride between the 3. 25 hands down is the smoothest through chop, and has best wave. Go for the 25! 👍

Edited by BlindSquirrel
44 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Links to boats, or pics? You know i will say 25... and fwiw, work harder on those prices.... 

Will do. Thank you! 

10k bow thrusters ouch I'd pry do engine upgrade over those if had the choice, unless money is no object, it would be nice but I'd hardly use other than tight restuarant parking on occasion.

25 and you'll never go back!!!

Thanks for the comments! There seems to be a split decision. Half saying used 25 all the way; half saying new 23 LSV. Hmm. Decisions decisions. 

@Dfowkes boat is so sick. My wife and I are very particular on color. Wife basically has said only white or navy blue gelcoat base; black accents OK. Only white, light graphite, navy blue or tan interior. I am also picky but would take any blue all day. She is not a fan of the grey and black boats. Her mindset is more traditional. She won't get in the water really and its a boat for our family and other family's we know with small kids, so that's where we are. 

5 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Thanks for the comments! There seems to be a split decision. Half saying used 25 all the way; half saying new 23 LSV. Hmm. Decisions decisions. 

@Dfowkes boat is so sick. My wife and I are very particular on color. Wife basically has said only white or navy blue gelcoat base; black accents OK. Only white, light graphite, navy blue or tan interior. I am also picky but would take any blue all day. She is not a fan of the grey and black boats. Her mindset is more traditional. She won't get in the water really and its a boat for our family and other family's we know with small kids, so that's where we are. 

No worries. It’s important to love the color. Happy wife happy life.

• Like 2
On 10/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

The first, I would take the one that was offered to you in this thread, second the new 23 to have a piece of mind on warranty and all.

25 all the way.  I agree about working that price on the 25 in particular.  That is now a 4 year old boat, and it has had a revision since then as well.  

22 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Alright then, I  have a nearly identical build as @Dfowkes but in Blue/White and will offer up the same deal.   (Don't tell my wife!). 

But, assuming you don't let your budget creep come into play, as much as I love the 25, I'd go new 23LSV vs. last generation 25LSV.   Of course, that price gap as others mentioned should be bigger, so that could sway that recommendation.   

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

25 all the way.  I agree about working that price on the 25 in particular.  That is now a 4 year old boat, and it has had a revision since then as well.  

Def less than 90k for the 25... agreed on these statements. 

58 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Alright then, I  have a nearly identical build as @Dfowkes but in Blue/White and will offer up the same deal.   (Don't tell my wife!). 

But, assuming you don't let your budget creep come into play, as much as I love the 25, I'd go new 23LSV vs. last generation 25LSV.   Of course, that price gap as others mentioned should be bigger, so that could sway that recommendation.   

Why would you say over last gen 25? Resale? Wave? 

1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

Why would you say over last gen 25? Resale? Wave? 

I think @hethj7 meant the 2016 25lsv vs a 2019 25lsv.  The hull was changed a bit for 2019, so why pay a premium for a used boat, that is the prior generation vs a new 23lsv at the same price point.

• Like 3

I really think these comparisons are tough because in the end there really isn't a concrete right or wrong answer. Both boats could be the right answer for one family and could be the wrong answer for another family regardless of price.

I personally love the new 25 LSV. My wife and I love it so much that we started getting serious about buying a 2020 25 LSV after we sat in one at the 2019 Portland Boat Show. I spent a good part of the 2019 boating season thinking about how my experience on the water would be different in a 25 vs the 2017 23 LSV I have now. What I realized is that for a number of reasons bigger probably wouldn't be better for us and that the 23 is the perfect size. Now I'm thinking one more year in my 2017 and getting serious about a 2021 23 LSV.

In regards to the 2019 23 LSV I would be concerned about it being an outdated boat already. Here's why I say that. If you look at the previous generation 23 LSV that I own the model years were 2014 - 2017. In that generation there is a real difference between 2014 and 2017. In the later model years you got PW2, the new dash, a 5 year warranty and new (I like my Raptor 410 so I say better) engine options. I owned a 2014. Great boat. But I really love my 2017 for the reasons above and more.

Now look at the current generation of 23 LSVs model years 2018 - 202x. In 2020 you are going have a new dash, the second year of new engines, PW3 and, I think most importantly, a 17" prop. These are big improvements that when we're looking back on this current generation of 23 LSVs in 2022 are going to be very desirable over the 2018s and 2019s.

I think in the price range you're already considering you could spec out a new 2020 23 LSV that may not have every bell and whistle but will give you the big benefits that come with the later years in this generation. I would compare that 2020 23 LSV to the 2 amazing 25 LSVs you've been offered above.

1 hour ago, asnowman said:

I think @hethj7 meant the 2016 25lsv vs a 2019 25lsv.  The hull was changed a bit for 2019, so why pay a premium for a used boat, that is the prior generation vs a new 23lsv at the same price point.

Gotcha; thank you. I plan to really negotiate fairly aggressively with either of these outdated or soon to be outdated models. 

For the 25 LSV, I  would much rather have a 2019, but I feel my negotiated dollars might be better spent on the 2016. My concerns were around the reliability of the 2016, future repairs, how well it performs, how loud it is, and, what I will be able to sell it for when I upgrade in the future. 

The 2016 25 LSV seems like a decent enough boat, minus some Indmar concerns people have. I guess I really can't go wrong either way, unless I pay anywhere close to what they are asking. 

My top priority is surf wave, so the 25 LSV will probably edge out the win in that regard.

Edited by Raleigh
1 hour ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I really think these comparisons are tough because in the end there really isn't a concrete right or wrong answer. Both boats could be the right answer for one family and could be the wrong answer for another family regardless of price.

I personally love the new 25 LSV. My wife and I love it so much that we started getting serious about buying a 2020 25 LSV after we sat in one at the 2019 Portland Boat Show. I spent a good part of the 2019 boating season thinking about how my experience on the water would be different in a 25 vs the 2017 23 LSV I have now. What I realized is that for a number of reasons bigger probably wouldn't be better for us and that the 23 is the perfect size. Now I'm thinking one more year in my 2017 and getting serious about a 2021 23 LSV.

In regards to the 2019 23 LSV I would be concerned about it being an outdated boat already. Here's why I say that. If you look at the previous generation 23 LSV that I own the model years were 2014 - 2017. In that generation there is a real difference between 2014 and 2017. In the later model years you got PW2, the new dash, a 5 year warranty and new (I like my Raptor 410 so I say better) engine options. I owned a 2014. Great boat. But I really love my 2017 for the reasons above and more.

Now look at the current generation of 23 LSVs model years 2018 - 202x. In 2020 you are going have a new dash, the second year of new engines, PW3 and, I think most importantly, a 17" prop. These are big improvements that when we're looking back on this current generation of 23 LSVs in 2022 are going to be very desirable over the 2018s and 2019s.

I think in the price range you're already considering you could spec out a new 2020 23 LSV that may not have every bell and whistle but will give you the big benefits that come with the later years in this generation. I would compare that 2020 23 LSV to the 2 amazing 25 LSVs you've been offered above.

I hadn't considered this.  The 2019 as an outdated boat seems ridiculous at first (we are in the year 2019), but now I see what you are saying here completely. 

Specking a 2020 is something to consider as well, but I think my dealer is not going to give me the kind of deal I would expect for a new build. 

20 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

I hadn't considered this.  The 2019 as an outdated boat seems ridiculous at first (we are in the year 2019), but now I see what you are saying here completely. 

Specking a 2020 is something to consider as well, but I think my dealer is not going to give me the kind of deal I would expect for a new build. 

Please don't get wrong. The 2018 and 2019 23 LSV are amazing boats. I've had the pleasure of riding behind both of @NWBU's and they are certainly a step above my 2017. I can't wait to ride behind his 2020.

I simply share my experience because I bought the "early years" of the last generation at a time when I could have spent a little more and purchased a new 2016. It would have cost me less in the end to do that rather than upgrading 2 years later to the 2017.

Yep, you all nailed it.  The 2016 25LSV is a beast and a great boat, and I'm not aware of any common issues with the 2016 Indmar power plants, so wouldn't be too concerned there.   But, I think I'd take the 2019 23LSV if prices were basically equal.  

And yes, the 2016 is the "previous gen".    I get it, you can always chase next year's best thing, but some key changes between 2016 and by the time 2019s rolled out was the hull, M6 motor, PW3, and 17" prop.    Plus the interior layout changes with the cooler compartment, integrated table/wakeview seat,  Wetsounds stereo with factory zone control, etc., etc.   But, significant price delta too between a 2016 and 2019 (or 2020) 25LSV.   

So again, just sticking to the 2016 25LSV or 2019 23LSV, I'd lean 23LSV.  

The refresh cycles on models are running what, every 3 years or so?   That is a pretty tight window to always have the first of the next generation boat, especially when for most folks the 2019 boating season is 4 months around the summer and by the middle of that, 2020 boats are already being delivered.    

21 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I don't think there is a right and wrong, just better and best.  We often overthink these things and let it take away from our enjoyment of what we have.  This is a classic first world problem, I can't wait to see what you end up with!  You will be happy with all of the options you have suggested, if that is your demeanor.  You could be unhappy with all of your options too, if that is also your demeanor.  

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I don't think there is a right and wrong, just better and best.  We often overthink these things and let it take away from our enjoyment of what we have.

Great point!  This can also be an expensive lesson to learn. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I bought the "early years" of the last generation at a time when I could have spent a little more and purchased a new 2016.

I appreciate this for sure. Based on this comment I would lean to the 25 LSV. I already know what I would be getting into here. I would hate to know I could have all these upgrades on the 2020 and buy the 2019 based on pricing alone.