Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

most fun watersports

zags

I'll second what @UWSkier said. Collegiate 3 event skiing was one of best times of my life. I was never great, but the people you meet and the overall atmosphere is awesome, it may or may not be one of the reasons it took me 6 years to graduate.

1. Jump - although I haven't jumped in years, and only went 100'+ in practice (unfortunately never when it counted!) the whole thing is just awesome. Accelerating towards the jump, the loud "bang" when you hit it, and then silence for a few moments. Riding out a good jump is probably my favorite thing to do in sports.

2. Slalom

3. Surf

4.+ Most everything else on the water, I don't really care what it is. Just being on the water is better than not...

• Like 2
On 10/13/2019 at 4:34 PM, hethj7 said:

I think surfing is just the easy button and so for us it still is overwhelmingly the thing done most on our boat (well, and the ZUP for the kids).  But I am a bit bored of surfing (doing and watching).  It is still a great time on the boat but no doubt other activities are more fun.  And while I really may try to focus on progressing again on the wakeboard next season, it is harder and I do worry about injuries.  So, surfing remains the go to for most.  

wake board and skate would be my top 2

surfing close 3rd or second 

Had a great wakeboarding season this year (140 hours so far snd 1/3 or more was wife and I riding ) and learned and progressed but finally jacked my old nasty knee 3 weeks ago,  one week off pulling wife,  next weekend surfed,  last weekend skate and surf ,  hope to ride next weekend or following  ,  concern for the injuries is certainly a reality ,  snd mine was just on not getting back inside the wake after a trick with someone else’s wake approaching mine,  should have never happened but it did

i think the rule is if you can go to work on crutches and run your life outside of work on crutches for 1-3 months then go for it,  snd who said all tricks have to be two wake snd not one wake( lots of fun and less dangerous)

if you can’t risk the crutches ,  learn your skate surface turns if all varieties goofy and regular front and backside ,  board slide forwards and backwards ,  takes the skate to another level of skill and fun without the danger of one foot on and one foot off accident injuries from airs snd shuvs 

the day I did it I surfed for an hour afterwards in some pain before all the swelling occurred because I figured I might lose some time ,  thought I may have damaged my femur repaired with nail from 4 years ago,  hows that for desperate and stupid!

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...
ahopkins22LSV

1) Slalom without question.

2) I’ll agree with @Woodski for teaching someone new or even helping someone get better with slalom

3) Surfing. It is a challenge to try new tricks

Don’t wake board anymore but still have the itch sometime. Maybe someday I’ll pickup a board again since I have a “wake boat”. I remember the falls though too lol

On 10/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, rakr said:

I'll second what @UWSkier said. Collegiate 3 event skiing was one of best times of my life. I was never great, but the people you meet and the overall atmosphere is awesome, it may or may not be one of the reasons it took me 6 years to graduate.

1. Jump - although I haven't jumped in years, and only went 100'+ in practice (unfortunately never when it counted!) the whole thing is just awesome. Accelerating towards the jump, the loud "bang" when you hit it, and then silence for a few moments. Riding out a good jump is probably my favorite thing to do in sports.

I did a jump clinic in Coopersville last summer with the Western, MSU and UofM teams.  GVSU got there a little after after I left.  Let me know if you want to join us next summer, it's a blast.  Great group to hang out with too while waiting for your turn.  We each did 4 runs, on two pulls, $20 for the day including lunch.

Specific to jumping - few people know what you are describing, but it's amazing!!  I'm hooked.  The form is so weird, standing up over your toes, different to anything I'm used to.  And, not spotting your landing but looking instead at the treeline (knees, trees, freeze).  I am all over it for our shows next summer, hoping to break that 100' barrier and land consistently.

So my favorites are:

1)barefooting

2)jumping

3)I gotta go with throwing the Waboba ball in 2.5' of water at the beach

1. Foiling (sit down). Once I got up on it I haven’t looked back. It’s something I don’t think I will ever get tired of. Met a ton of great people at flyins and two great friends that I ride with frequently. It can be really painful learning new tricks.Strained muscles, crazy bruises(external and internal) and I even broke my nose a few weeks ago. The equipment is crazy expensive once you step into the advanced skis. It’s all worth it!

2. Slalom. The speed is awesome but I’m out of shape and the runs are so short.  I’ll break out the stick once a year  

3.Kneeboarding. I didn’t see anyone else say this. I still have fun on it for a few minutes. Show the kids how to do it. 

4. Tubing. My kids don’t like it so I only bring it if they have friends out with us. I still make them try real tow sports first. I was always up for a 2 tube battle royal with my sibs and niece and nephew but I think those days are gone. 

I tried surfing. It was too slow for me. I’d like to try wake skating.