Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

19 23 LSV switching to 2020 25 LSV pros and cons

Azraie218

Hey guys and girls, 

I’m strongly considering trading my 19 23 LSV with the 409 engine for a 2020 25 LSV with the big 555 engine, for those of you that have gone to the bigger boat, please tell me some of the pros and cons... ie. surf wave, room, handling, parking and so on.... I’m just not 100% sure what I wanna do... the M240 is out of the question due to the wallet and wife lol 

Edited by Azraie218
ahopkins22LSV

The 25 is my favorite boat in the LSV lineup. The additional space and storage is great regardless of crew size. People with crews of 3-5 always come back here to say how much they love the additional space. Then obviously if you have a larger crew, it will be better as well. The surf wave is also going to be better. I don't notice any decline in handling around docks or riders with the 25 compared to a 23 other then the additional length. It is pretty nice how Malibu has been able to maintain that.

For towing and storage, obviously the boat is bigger and heavier. Those need to be factored in but that is dependent on what you actual tow vehicle and storage options are.

The only con I see is the added cost however it's relatively nominal.  

I was surprised at how well the 25 handles.  It's a big, beautiful, and strong performing boat.  IIWM, and I had the $$ and storage space, I'd already own one. 

A lot of people have made the jump from a 23 to a 25 and never look back, many wish they would've done it a long time ago. The extra cabin room is amazing and the wave is much longer and you'll have less bow rise. I'd try to wait to see if Malibu's new supercharged motor, the LT4 (I believe) will be available in the 25LSV and get that. Right now I think the 25's still have the PCM 550 supercharged.

5 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The 25 is my favorite boat in the LSV lineup. The additional space and storage is great regardless of crew size. People with crews of 3-5 always come back here to say how much they love the additional space. Then obviously if you have a larger crew, it will be better as well. The surf wave is also going to be better. I don't notice any decline in handling around docks or riders with the 25 compared to a 23 other then the additional length. It is pretty nice how Malibu has been able to maintain that.

For towing and storage, obviously the boat is bigger and heavier. Those need to be factored in but that is dependent on what you actual tow vehicle and storage options are.

I agree with all of the above! I've owned a 2016 23 lsv, 2017 23 lsv and now I own a 2019 25 lsv and I will never ever go back to a 23. IMO Malibu should quit making the 23 and stick with the 25. haha

6 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

25LSV is my favorite LSV as well.  Really fun to ride behind.  I'd rank my favorite wakes (non M series) as follows- 24MXZ-->25LSV--22MXZ--23LSV--21VLX

Just curious... where does the T22 fall in that list?

11 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Just curious... where does the T22 fall in that list?

Is it bad i have never been in an axis? If they brought back the 98-06 closed bow response as an axis, i would order it though. Sorry off topic.

Thank you so much every one for the reply’s, space for me isn’t an issue as I lived at my shop it’s 50x100 so lots of interior bays, we also have 1.2 acre for outside storage, got that covered. The tow vehicle will either be my 17 f350 or the old mans F450..... my 23 already can’t be towed by the wife’s vehicle so we have learned to work around that. 

im chasing the wave.... I know folks have said the M240 will kill it in wave output but I’ve heard such great things about the 25, I pretty much strictly surf due to a mangled body from motocross and a small heart condition.... low impact sport for this guy LOL 

inhave hear good things about the new DI engines.... I found with my 23 however the 409 just wasn’t enough some times, i fought with props this summer trying to find a balance between torque for getting out of the hole and decent surf RPM, few of my friends have the super charged engines in their boats and said they would never look back, however I will ask the dealer about the new one that’s in the M240 and see if it’s available for the 25LSV. 

That brings me to my next question, is the stern thruster worth the 10k ( Canadian pesos) ? I don’t mind the 23 in the marina now that I understand a little better how those big pigs operate at slow speeds, but definitely wished I had it some times..... i was worried about the larger boat and handling in the marina, however it doesn’t sound like it’s a whole bunch worse than the 23LSV. 

bow rise and less of it is always good by me... we had to learn where to place people this summer with the 23, depending how many folks the wave was absolutely amazing... and then it was a fight to keep the boat balanced and still make a decent side wave.... im a just over 200LB and like a big broad wave with lots of push

9 minutes ago, Azraie218 said:

I'm chasing the wave.... I know folks have said the M240 will kill it in wave output but I’ve heard such great things about the 25

I do not think you will be disappointed by the 25.

I never thought i would want a thruster on this size boat (i had them on a 53' viking where we definitely needed it) but after using it on the 23 MXZ this summer i wanted it enough to order it for our 2019, cause i just can't justify ordering a 2020 right now. Unless at high altitude, the m6 should be enough engine.

10 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

After 4 hrs in our 25LSV, She was throwing sticks at the 23LSV that she wanted. 

That is why you need to get out in one if you are even sort of considering it!

• Like 2

Food for thought. You can not get rear thruster option with 2020 25lsv 550 supercharged motor. Has to do with the alternator system that comes on engine. Or any other BU with that motor.  If you get the 450. You can😬

Edited by Capdoogie
7 hours ago, Capdoogie said:

Food for thought. You can not get rear thruster option with 2020 25lsv 550 supercharged motor. Has to do with the alternator system that comes on engine. Or any other BU with that motor.  If you get the 450. You can😬

Aftermarket!!!

On 10/11/2019 at 8:03 AM, Suggy said:

A lot of people have made the jump from a 23 to a 25 and never look back, many wish they would've done it a long time ago. The extra cabin room is amazing and the wave is much longer and you'll have less bow rise. I'd try to wait to see if Malibu's new supercharged motor, the LT4 (I believe) will be available in the 25LSV and get that. Right now I think the 25's still have the PCM 550 supercharged.

I wouldn't do a 23 unless I had towing or weight concerns.  25 has a better wave, and even with a small crew, it is nice to have space.  

The PCM 550 is hardly a bad engine by any stretch, in fact it actually has a track record.  Supercharged motors have more in them to go wrong.   Getting a brand new engine that has not had the same testing as a tried and true motor seems like it is not something I would do.  I would not delay based on what motor is available at the time of your order.  

• Like 2