Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25 LSV Short Range Towing - W/ Suburban Help - 2WD with 8.3k towing or 4WD with 8.0k towing (both have 14k total capacity)

Raleigh

1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough response!

That Max is pretty sweet. It might be on the table next year. Maybe that’s a @justgary tell the wife she’ll drive what I say she will decision. The towing capacity is really nice and the interior looks great.

It looks like 4WD is the only way to go. Thank you.

I’m not a Ford guy, but it was hard not to go with this one. It was priced new at about the same price as a 16/17 Yukon XL Denali. 

it’s my wife’s daily driver, and she likes it a LOT better than the old Yukon. 

Edited by RyanB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, RyanB said:

You mention the boat ramp. I can tell you that more than once, on a steep ramp, my LSV pulled the Yukon down the ramp several feet with all 4 of the Yukon’s tires locked up. 

I was hoping someone would chime in on this. And @RyanB has a 23. On our ramp. It is steep. I will not launch my 25lsv in 2wd. And that is with a Ram 3500CC long bed. Loaded with tools I did make that mistake twice. My truck is heavy (work truck with tools) and it still drags me. The 25 is heavy and will drag you down a steep ramp @IXFE, @Stevo

Edited by Sparky450
23 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I’ll knock wood on this one. I tow with a f350 longbed.

ask @IXFE @Pnwrider and @Slayer about launching the 25 at Lake Norris with the Yukon Denali 

About 2 mins after this pic was taken, Norris almost swallowed up the Yukon whole. 

p.s. I bought a Super Duty shortly after this and will NEVER go back  

61FE0B4E-7EDE-403E-A890-78D763BB01C5.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
7 hours ago, RyanB said:

I’m not a Ford guy, but it was hard not to go with this one. It was priced new at about the same price as a 16/17 Yukon XL Denali. 

it’s my wife’s daily driver, and she likes it a LOT better than the old Yukon. 

It is hard to believe the 3.5L V6 is more capable than the 5.7L V8, though. I take it you are a believer! I’m open to it.

14 minutes ago, IXFE said:

About 2 mins after this pic was taken, Norris almost swallowed up the Yukon whole. 

p.s. I bought a Super Duty shortly after this and will NEVER go back  

61FE0B4E-7EDE-403E-A890-78D763BB01C5.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I wanted to see the 4-wheel burnout @Slayer did to get out of there but I was too busy doing brake stands with @bamaboy ‘s new Dirtymax

Man!!  That was one of the freakiest boat launching experiences I've ever had!!  The 25LSV pulled the Yukon down the ramp with the brakes locked up!  I told @IXFE that he better be ready to start the boat and pull off the trailer as soon as it hit the water.  Thankfully, he was on point.

@Stevo I wish you could have witnessed it.  It was a trip to say the least!

12 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

It is hard to believe the 3.5L V6 is more capable than the 5.7L V8, though. I take it you are a believer! I’m open to it.

You should drive one and put a load on it.  I was surprised at the first 3.5L ecoboost I had in 2011.  I pulled 10,000# with it easily.  It was equipped with the max tow package.  My 2018 is better with the 10-speed trans.  I was skeptical at first, but it does great.  That said however, I would prefer a longer wheelbase pulling a 25LSV.  

57 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

It’s absolutely stronger than a 350. And, at the very least, on par with the 6.2. 

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Man!!  That was one of the freakiest boat launching experiences I've ever had!!  The 25LSV pulled the Yukon down the ramp with the brakes locked up!  I told @IXFE that he better be ready to start the boat and pull off the trailer as soon as it hit the water.  Thankfully, he was on point.

@Stevo I wish you could have witnessed it.  It was a trip to say the least!

@IXFE, @Stevo, @bamaboy, @Slayer -

So, where is the thread containing a detailed trip report of this event?  I need it now.  You know, full-on @Afun style with the topsiders and the shirt off and everything!

Wait a minute!  Is this the *same* boat ramp event?  Did some dude come up to you guys with his shirt off, asking you to move your tired little tow vehicles off the ramp so he could load?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, justgary said:

@IXFE, @Stevo, @bamaboy, @Slayer -

So, where is the thread containing a detailed trip report of this event?  I need it now.  You know, full-on @Afun style with the topsiders and the shirt off and everything!

Wait a minute!  Is this the *same* boat ramp event?  Did some dude come up to you guys with his shirt off, asking you to move your tired little tow vehicles off the ramp so he could load?

This was a few years ago and no, @Afun was not there, toppless with sperrys on.  There is no detailed thread and there likely will never be one.  Rest assured that it was a great time with great people.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Thanks guys! It definitely seems getting the 2WD would be a bad idea. 

:werule:

When you watch the youtube videos of them pulling submerged vehicles out at the boat ramp you always see just the back tires dragging. I have never seen one where all 4 wheels were engaged.

10 hours ago, Raleigh said:

5.7L?  It's been a LONG time since GM offered a 5.7L motor in a SUV or truck.  

8 hours ago, MLBurns said:

When you watch the youtube videos of them pulling submerged vehicles out at the boat ramp you always see just the back tires dragging. I have never seen one where all 4 wheels were engaged.

Thats funny, i was just watching some of those videos. Totally true. 

3 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

5.7L?  It's been a LONG time since GM offered a 5.7L motor in a SUV or truck.  

True. I’m thinking of my Jeep Hemi 5.7L engine. 5.3L correction; that’s right 

Guys 

On my home ramp. I launched my 07 21LSV. Went to pull out with an empty trailer and could not get out. This was on launch. 

I AM NOT EXAGGERATING OR KIDDING.

After the second time my 25lsv almost pulled my Ram 3500 CCLB into the water I decided, never launch in 2wd. I have only had this happen one time before with my 21lsv. That was when my DD was in the shop and I needed a water fix. I launched with one of my old utility beds with disc front and drum rear. 

I am a contractor loaded with tools. My truck is so heavy it sits 2-3 inches lower than a normal homeowners truck. My work truck is my DD. Contractors will understand. 😎 I keep waiting for one of these guys to show up, to our ramp with 23LSV/25LSV/24MXZ in a German suv, especially at low tide. 😂😂

Edited by Sparky450
1 hour ago, Sparky450 said:

Guys 

On my home ramp. I launched my 07 21LSV. Went to pull out with an empty trailer and could not get out. This was on launch. 

After the second time my 25lsv almost pulled my Ram 3500 CCLB into the water I decided, never launch in 2wd. I have only had this happen one time before with my 21lsv. That was when my DD was in the shop and I needed a water fix. I launched with one of my old utility beds with disc front and drum rear. 

I am a contractor loaded with tools. My truck is so heavy it sits 2-3 inches lower than a normal homeowners truck. My work truck is my DD. Contractors will understand. 😎 I keep waiting for one of these guys to show up, to our ramp with 23LSV/25LSV/24MXZ in a German suv, especially at low tide. 😂😂

Dude, that’s insane! I can only imagine.

8 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Guys 

Guess your ramp is extremely steep?? I put my 257 w/1k lead, in and out with my 2500 CTD never in 4wd, and my rear tires only get in the water about 10" deep or so . My ramp is steep compared to others, but yours must be very steep. In construction myself, I understand that your truck prolly weighs about 15k.

8 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I keep waiting for one of these guys to show up, to our ramp with 23LSV/25LSV/24MXZ in a German suv, especially at low tide. 😂😂

If we are talking a salt water ramp covered in green slime, there might not be any good way to launch at low tide.  I've seen slimy ramps on the sound that might as well be a sheet of ice that I would not even try and launch at low tide.  And then traction is really more a function of the best tire to get traction on slime, rather than tow-vehicle size.  Hard E-rated truck tires are great for towing but are not always the best tires for traction on slimy ramps.   

On 10/11/2019 at 5:50 AM, Raleigh said:

It has more to do with what Ford has done with everything else to make it tow and handle better than the GM products.  I liked the interior better on our GM and it always ran great but there is no comparison when hooking up the boat.  I have the past generation of the Expy but have heard the new is even better.