Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 23 lsv trailer bunk lengths

stein09

Needing to buy carpet for my boat trailer. Noticed there were a few holes already worn in the carpet the other night when I was loading the boat. Does anyone know the lengths of each bunk? My boat is in storage and I was hoping to buy some carpet to redo the bunks before I go back out to my boat. Im planning on using stainless staples to secure it. With the carpet being new is there any problem with carpeting over the current carpet that is on the trailer?

I can get you the lengths tonight. IMO, carpet on carpet is going to be a soggy, stinking mess that will most likely increase bunk rot rates. Because of how loose the new carpet will be I would be willing to bet that it will be even more prone to getting destroyed from all of the sliding around. You will most likely have to use crazy long staples to get through both sections of carpet to get it to stay. JM2C

Edited by wdr
sp

Good points wdr! Sounds like I am better off ripping the old carpet off. Might give me a chance to assess the integrity of the bunks too.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my bunk carpet which was getting some small holes in it after 4 seasons (I never power load either) with Gatorbak bunks this past Spring. Night and day difference, since I have 2x6 bunks I believe it was the GB550 I got along with the end caps. The carpet also collects sand/debris and since my hull is black, the carpet was scratching the hell out of the bottom of my boat. The Gatorback is made of composite and is ribbed. Cost is much higher initially of course (think I paid roughly $550 for full replacement materials including the stainless screws needed) but it will also last forever and being ribbed the water flows off the bunks almost immediately....the Gatorbak design also keeps the P.T. wood bunks from rotting cause the dont hold in the water like the carpet does. My carpet would still be wet 2 days after pulling the boat out and that is also not good for the gelcoat and I have seen that cause gelcoat blisters on some hulls.

Anyway....may be worth checking into the Gatorbak bunks

• 5 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 5:44 AM, Infinitysurf said:

I replaced my bunk carpet which was getting some small holes in it after 4 seasons (I never power load either) with Gatorbak bunks this past Spring. Night and day difference, since I have 2x6 bunks I believe it was the GB550 I got along with the end caps. The carpet also collects sand/debris and since my hull is black, the carpet was scratching the hell out of the bottom of my boat. The Gatorback is made of composite and is ribbed. Cost is much higher initially of course (think I paid roughly $550 for full replacement materials including the stainless screws needed) but it will also last forever and being ribbed the water flows off the bunks almost immediately....the Gatorbak design also keeps the P.T. wood bunks from rotting cause the dont hold in the water like the carpet does. My carpet would still be wet 2 days after pulling the boat out and that is also not good for the gelcoat and I have seen that cause gelcoat blisters on some hulls.

Anyway....may be worth checking into the Gatorbak bunks

How are the gatorbak bunks working for you?   I am about to re-bunk my trailer and was curious if you were happy with them.

Boz

On 4/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, Bozboat said:

How are the gatorbak bunks working for you?   I am about to re-bunk my trailer and was curious if you were happy with them.

Boz

Love them, so many benefits.

I am unable to post pics here but am happy to send you some directly if that would help you determine if they are right for you.

They cost quite a bit more but considering that they should last for quite a while and fact that they dont damage my black hull with scratches or stay wet for days at a time after dunking it... I think I made the right call especially considering my boat lives on the trailer.

33 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

Love them, so many benefits.

I am unable to post pics here but am happy to send you some directly if that would help you determine if they are right for you.

They cost quite a bit more but considering that they should last for quite a while and fact that they dont damage my black hull with scratches or stay wet for days at a time after dunking it... I think I made the right call especially considering my boat lives on the trailer.

My 2012 VLX had blisters only where the bunks supported the hull. My carpet probably never dries out all summer as the boat goes back in lake every weekend and setting in the garage all week does not allow carpet to dry when boat is setting on it. Only reason I know it blistered is because I would sometimes wipe hull down while floating in lake on long weekend trips where boat stayed in water all weekend.

Betting lots of boats are blistered like this and never noticed.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/15/2020 at 6:52 AM, dalt1 said:

My 2012 VLX had blisters only where the bunks supported the hull.

@dalt1How long had you had your boat before you noticed these? Did you have to repair your hull and was/is there any warranty protection for something like this? Especially since Malibu makes both the hull AND the trailer (thus can't blame trailer maker). Makes me nervous about having a boat that lives on carpeted bunks.

@InfinitysurfAfter reading this, I think I might replace carpet with Gatorbak. We have a Ramp N Clamp, so we power load our boat. Is that possible with Gatorbak?

Edited by formerathlete
On 8/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, formerathlete said:

@dalt1How long had you had your boat before you noticed these? Did you have to repair your hull and was/is there any warranty protection for something like this? Especially since Malibu makes both the hull AND the trailer (thus can't blame trailer maker). Makes me nervous about having a boat that lives on carpeted bunks.

@InfinitysurfAfter reading this, I think I might replace carpet with Gatorbak. We have a Ramp N Clamp, so we power load our boat. Is that possible with Gatorbak?

Boat was at least 4 years old when I noticed. Never did anything with it as it will never be seen. Sold that boat 3 years ago.

• Like 1