Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter Storage Ideas (snowy canadian winter)

mjbet91

So the barn i typically store my boat in is being repurposed and no longer a winter storage option for me. In the remote area the boat is located, there isn't another indoor storage option. Thus i am left with a few scenarios: 

1) shrink wrap ($20 / sf and despite hating the cost i hate wasting plastic every year) - strong preference not to

2) Buy a shelter logic type plastic car port (30'x16'x10') for approx. $1,200 (maybe worth it if it works out as i can easily reuse, but $ are tight at the moment ) and keep normal cover on also

3) Buy a boat cover that goes over the tower (was also thinking of leaving on the normal cover and buying a large RV cover - thoughts?) i can add a rear teepee support so between the tower and that snow should have a slope. Also can reuse next season. See link for an idea of one that can go over tower (intended for t-top but comments say it works). do not use normal stock summer cover

4) Big strong tarp, maybe with rear teepee structure, and normal button on cover below 

insight appreciated ! 

Edited by mjbet91
edit

look into transhield covers from greatlakesskipper.com.  I got one for $150 delivered (less than a tarp :-D).  Well made, shrinkable, and re-useable for a few years.  I was going to go the #2 route and am glad I went with the transhield first.  A couple weeks of my freeloading boat crew hearing me whine about my boat sitting out in the weather all winter and miraculously, one of them is storing it for me now.  He's a realtor and flips houses a lot, I suggest making friends with these types of people.

Personally if it were me I would be willing to drive a few hours or so if that meant my boat could spend winter inside. I don't know where you are in Canada but over here on the west coast keeping moisture problems away is next to impossible when stored outside. 

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

If you have a permanent piece of property might be worth the investment. Most would pay for this is in 4 years of storage rates. 

https://www.costco.ca/Lifetime-11-ft.-x-21-ft.-Storage-Shed.product.10365120.html

That is pretty neat - wish I had room for it.  But I pay about 600 bucks a winter for storage so it would take a while to pay that off.