Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 A22 Pricing

AdrianGarside

Looking at ~$86k + tax for a new custom build 2020 Axis A22 with roughly the following specs for delivery next season:

• Power wedge 3, surf pipe, surf band
  • Plug n play ballast (inc bags).
  • Heater
  • Stereo pack 2 with one set of tower speakers
  • Lower spinner board racks
  • Skybox seating + spinning driver seat
  • Soft grip flooring
  • Dual batteries
  • Ski pylon
  • Storage lights + underseat lighting
  • Trailer w/ transom step
  • Various misc. things, probably in a typical build but not sure.

Is this a good deal, a great deal or am I being taken for a ride? It's so hard to get prices online that it's hard for me to know. The sticker price (MSRP?) that I got shown is basically $100k so if I believe that then I'm getting at least a good deal.

Edited by AdrianGarside

Agreed; that sounds like a good deal on a new build. Have you ever checked out seedealercost.com? You can add all the options and get a feel for the dealer margin (estimated). That boat is probably around $79k for the dealer so that’s 5-6k of profit which is good for them but not great. It sounds like a fair deal for both parties.

Thanks. seedealercost.com looks to be a great resource but does't have the 2020 Axis A22 yet so I'll have to make estimated adjustments based on the sticker price I've been given. MSRP looks to be 25% over invoice.

Yes, they told me the price increased about $5k with the new engine. The sticker has $75,066.00 for the base boat vs $71,076.00 for 2019 on seadealercost so $4k increase in MSRP 2019->2020. But part of the appeal of the 2020 for me is that quieter more efficient engine. That's the biggest thing pushing me towards new vs trying to get an even better deal on an unsold stock 2019 or a second hand 2018/2019 (I want power wedge).

Plus they've been very helpful bringing over a boat to confirm it will fit under my existing custom boat canopy (which has legs that are 102" apart, which is the specced beam of the A22) and answer all my questions so they've already built good will with me. I thought it would be an extremely tight fit or not fit at all but there's about an inch spare so it's tight but doable. Hopefully it won't be a constant annoyance that it's such a tight fit.

Edited by AdrianGarside
8 hours ago, AdrianGarside said:

Thanks. seedealercost.com looks to be a great resource but does't have the 2020 Axis A22 yet so I'll have to make estimated adjustments based on the sticker price I've been given. MSRP looks to be 25% over invoice.

Yes, they told me the price increased about $5k with the new engine. The sticker has $75,066.00 for the base boat vs $71,076.00 for 2019 on seadealercost so $4k increase in MSRP 2019->2020. But part of the appeal of the 2020 for me is that quieter more efficient engine. That's the biggest thing pushing me towards new vs trying to get an even better deal on an unsold stock 2019 or a second hand 2018/2019 (I want power wedge).

Plus they've been very helpful bringing over a boat to confirm it will fit under my existing custom boat canopy (which has legs that are 102" apart, which is the specced beam of the A22) and answer all my questions so they've already built good will with me. I thought it would be an extremely tight fit or not fit at all but there's about an inch spare so it's tight but doable. Hopefully it won't be a constant annoyance that it's such a tight fit.

So what negotiation technique did you use to get to $86k? Did that include year end incentives? 

9 hours ago, AdrianGarside said:

Sounds like a good deal to me. Does that include Plug and Play bags? Also sounds like the dealer is really willing to take care of you if they brought a boat to your place to see if it would fit. Dealer relationship and service after the sale is a huge deal!

They offer a good base deal anyway (as far as I can tell) - a fixed 15% on top of invoice. I'm getting an additional couple of discounts for ordering in advance (w/ deposit) to be bought at boat show pricing (January) for delivery in ~April.

Edited by AdrianGarside
typo msrp->invoice
4 hours ago, Danimal154 said:

I was 13% off msrp on mine.

Going by the sticker price of $99,683 (inc. a $4250 freight & prep charge but not the $650 title & registration), then I think I'm getting around 13.8% off msrp before title & registration.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, AdrianGarside said:

Plus they've been very helpful bringing over a boat to confirm it will fit under my existing custom boat canopy (which has legs that are 102" apart, which is the specced beam of the A22) and answer all my questions so they've already built good will with me. 

Can't beat Darren, Zac (NW Inboards) and Bakes. I've had a great experience all the way through with them.

Edited by formerathlete
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

Can't beat Darren, Zac (NW Inboards) and Bakes. I've had a great experience all the way through with them.

Yeah, they've been great. Definitely that experience is a large chunk of why I went from looking at second hand to signing up to buy new from them.

59 minutes ago, AdrianGarside said:

They offer a good base deal anyway (as far as I can tell) - a fixed 15% on top of invoice. I'm getting an additional couple of discounts for ordering in advance (w/ deposit) to be bought at boat show pricing (January) for delivery in ~April.

We were going to do exactly that but they ended up having one final build of a '19 A22 in May, so we ordered it then and had boat by July 2. Decided to go for it in spring vs fall because it was easier to move our old boat (2000 Epic X-22) in the spring vs the fall.  Boat sold in 3 hours and we had a new boat for pretty much the entire summer, so it worked out great.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

86k seems to be a great deal seeing as there boat show price on the navy A22 they had was 88K. Only main difference i noticed of the top of my head was the speaker package maybe, the boat at the show had 4 tower speakers and you mentioned 2. I was also told that having a colored gel coat will add extra money.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, tappsdrinker said:

Only main difference i noticed of the top of my head was the speaker package maybe, the boat at the show had 4 tower speakers and you mentioned 2. I was also told that having a colored gel coat will add extra money.

There are a few differences...different engine (M5Di vs 409), tower (now can be assisted), steering wheel and slight differences in badging among other little things that I'm likely forgetting. I'm not sure all colored gel coats cost more but any flake definitely does. I think Ebony and a few other colors cost more but I don't think all colors do.

Edited by formerathlete
  • 2 months later...

What is this group's thoughts on a 2020 that has the 409 engine vs the M5Di?  I think power spec wise they are pretty comparable as far as performance.  As I have been window shopping 2020 A22's, I'd say 50% of them have the Monsoon 409 and the other 50% have the M5.  My local dealer has an in stock unit that is a color combo I like, with all the options I'd want...but it is powered by the Monsoon 409.   The base price is the higher amount $75,066 that was mentioned earlier so I'd say the sticker for 2020 in general went up regardless of the engine.

-- Mike

the 409 is fine, the m5di is better.

m5di burns less gas

m5di is quieter

m5di has more torque where its needed

m5di doesnt require belt removal to switch impeller

m5di is closed cooled

• Like 1