Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New (to me) Response TXi

braindamage

23 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Both. With just a driver, try moving the 50# bag under the bow cushion to the port passenger cushion. Basically the bag on the port passenger side of the bow never moved. That is also where I had my anchor. I am pretty sure it was level like that. I am 175lbs for reference. ACME 515 prop. Prop could influence it as well.

What I might try is to always keep the bow weight but add another 50# weight that I can shift from the port to middle of the spotter seat when I have a 3rd. I didn’t have my anchor in, but it lives in the storage area just behind the spotter in port side.

i have the acme 515 but I’m going to also try my OJ from the SSLXi 

@UWSkier

Edited by braindamage

One other weird thing. When I start from my lift, the depth gauge only reads 1ft. It never changes. If I turn off power then re-initialize in deeper water it reads correct. 🤷‍♂️

@braindamage - Please report your Acme 515 to OJ prop comparison, I and sure others will be very interested in how they compare.  Specifically how they affect the wake.  Will you be able to compare slalom and barefooting with both?  That and specifically which OJ is it?  Thx in advance.

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2
On 4/5/2020 at 8:07 AM, braindamage said:

What I might try is to always keep the bow weight but add another 50# weight that I can shift from the port to middle of the spotter seat when I have a 3rd. I didn’t have my anchor in, but it lives in the storage area just behind the spotter in port side.

i have the acme 515 but I’m going to also try my OJ from the SSLXi 

@UWSkier

rotation of the prop naturally pulls the starboard side down running steady state.  I have a battery and 100 lbs of lead all the way up against the port side wall.  I also have 80 lbs box of floor tiles up under the front bench seat offset as far to port as possible.

Even with all of that, if it's just a driver of 200 lbs or more, the boat slightly lists to starboard when underway, but it's much better than not doing those things.

On a 2006 R LXI I changed from a ACME 515 to an OJ 13 X 11.5 LC 1 1/8" XMP 3-blade #330.

OJ has better out of hole pickup, 3 mph higher top end, and softer wake at -22'.  I will not be going back to the 515 unless needed as a temporary spare.  Plus going back and forth between props on our course require resetting PP Baselines.

No comment on barefooting.

Edited by Joeprunc
39 minutes ago, Joeprunc said:

On a 2006 R LXI I changed from a ACME 515 to an OJ 13 X 11.5 LC 1 1/8" XMP 3-blade #330.

OJ has better out of hole pickup, 3 mph higher top end, and softer wake at -22'.  I will not be going back to the 515 unless needed as a temporary spare.  Plus going back and forth between props on our course require resetting PP Baselines.

did your RPM go up or down with the OJ ?   I run a 525 with is Acme's 13x11.5 and 15 off is great - 22 off is a little stiff so that has me interested.

1 minute ago, SkiPablo said:

did your RPM go up or down with the OJ ?   I run a 525 with is Acme's 13x11.5 and 15 off is great - 22 off is a little stiff so that has me interested.

If you try a 330 and it improves, LMK!  I think the old CVP actually had a slightly softer wake at 28 off than the ACME 515 I run, but the 515 is better in every other way.

1 hour ago, Joeprunc said:

I am quit sure that is the prop I a running on my Rlxi 07.  I a very happy with the performance of the prop. I also thought it helped the wake. But I never thought the OME prop was bad. I thought this prop is just a little softer, all our runs are at 35off at 36 or 34 mph.

6 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

this is exactly my OJ Prop.  Thanks for the info!

Oops...I think I might be wrong about he prop. The PO file says it’s a 525 13x11.5. What’s the difference?

also-I found a Malibu slicker in the file so she found a new home!

8B81A5CD-B81F-4E6B-9E55-62DDA24A6875.jpeg

Edited by braindamage
  • Like 1

@braindamage -  You probably know but different pitch (first number is diameter, second is pitch (which is distance travel per one revolution without any slip).  So 525 is less pitch than a 515 and to better answer your question should be 150 - 200 RPM higher in engine speed for a given across the water speed around the 30-40 knot speed range.  At your elevation (less than 1,000') and if you are more ski centric, the 515 is more the standard choice or factory prop.  515 is closer to 100 RPM per 1 mph of boat speed, 525 will spin ~ 150 - 200 RPM higher and is probably the preferred choice for slower speed activities.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@braindamage -  You probably know but different pitch (first number is diameter, second is pitch (which is distance travel per one revolution without any slip).  So 525 is less pitch than a 515 and to better answer your question should be 150 - 200 RPM higher in engine speed for a given across the water speed around the 30-40 knot speed range.  At your elevation (less than 1,000') and if you are more ski centric, the 515 is more the standard choice or factory prop.  515 is closer to 100 RPM per 1 mph of boat speed, 525 will spin ~ 150 - 200 RPM higher and is probably the preferred choice for slower speed activities.  Hope that helps.

Yeah...brain fart. It seems that my OJ is the better choice.

Black wire goes behind the amp mounting panel panel, so presumably to the amp. I don’t have time this am to remove and look behind.

i took another pic. It has 2 green hard plastic things sticking out of either side.

9E1C1036-45EA-4A8F-BE70-58E0B9B982BF.jpeg

@oldjeep - Do you know anybody that has used one, do they boost the radio reception signal?  My radio reception with the original antenna is rather limited, pretty much only use the radio when drying off the boat on the lift, but would be nice to get better radio reception.

2 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@oldjeep - Do you know anybody that has used one, do they boost the radio reception signal?  My radio reception with the original antenna is rather limited, pretty much only use the radio when drying off the boat on the lift, but would be nice to get better radio reception.

My first Bayliner had a similar type of device which is the only reason I recognize it.  Can't say that we ever used the FM radio much even in that boat, so I don't know.

My radio reception stinks, but the reason I found it was that there was a unconnected ground wire. I connected it , so I’ll check and see if there’s any improvement.

thanks!

Edited by braindamage
On 4/20/2020 at 8:30 AM, braindamage said:

My radio reception stinks, but the reason I found it was that there was a unconnected ground wire. I connected it , so I’ll check and see if there’s any improvement.

thanks!

I've got the same boat as you,  we picked up ours at the end of last season (its a 12 TXI open bow, white hull with blue and metal flake silver, ghost edition meaning no side decals) and we love it.  Bought what my son calls a "doggle".   Lets you hook up a phone or other device inside the glove box so you can stream music via bluetooth thru radio and avoid all the radio reception issues.  Maybe that cable you are seeing is the same thing?   The crappy WI weather is keeping us from dropping ours, but the dock and hoist are waiting in the water for it.

1 hour ago, twinlakes said:

I've got the same boat as you,  we picked up ours at the end of last season (its a 12 TXI open bow, white hull with blue and metal flake silver, ghost edition meaning no side decals) and we love it.  Bought what my son calls a "doggle".   Lets you hook up a phone or other device inside the glove box so you can stream music via bluetooth thru radio and avoid all the radio reception issues.  Maybe that cable you are seeing is the same thing?   The crappy WI weather is keeping us from dropping ours, but the dock and hoist are waiting in the water for it.

I bought a BT (see below) so I’m good on the music side. I’m pretty sure it’s an FM antenna, though like you said the weather has kept me from checking on it.

TUNAI Firefly Bluetooth Receiver: World’s Smallest USB Wireless Audio Bluetooth 4.2 Adapter with 3.5mm AUX for Car/Home Stereo Music Streaming; Auto On, No Charging Needed - Car Kit (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDO66NK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RuYOEbEQV0XVS

• 2 weeks later...