Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020MXZ
Posted (edited)

This is a discussion space for owners of Malibu MXZ's to share thoughts on general topics and help each other better understand the inner workings of the boat, both off the line and aftermarket. To kick this thread off with a topic has anyone been battling with installing their own transom lighting? If so do you think it would be more cost efficient to have the feature added to the purchase package or added aftermarket, from what I've found (light searching) lighting can cost between $50-600's.

Edited by 2020MXZ

roonedoggie

the wiring hardness is there to tap into... I would go dealer, I had them install after I got the boat. install price was negligible.  Just have to turn it on in setting to recognize.

ahopkinsVTX

IMO, if you want under water transom lights, check the box if you are ordering a boat. MSRP for my 2019 build was $767.00. They are pretty dang bright and everything is done from the factory. Once you factor in your % off MSRP you are paying the same or less than aftermarket lights. Lets assume 20% MSRP, so I paid 613.60 installed.

For 2020 the lights are updated and in a new location to be less disturbed by the wedge and surf pipe.

Here are some pictures of mine. You can see how the surf pipe slightly blocks the port light.

IMG_5822.JPG

LED1.jpg

LED2.jpg

Five Cent Worth

One of our favorite features of our 19 is the under water lights.  The blue is awesome.  Kids love them.  Wouldn't get another boat without them.

Chappy
Posted (edited)

Following! I have a 2019 24 MXZ and love it! We went with the factory led lights so sorry I can't help with that but like the idea of a dedicated MXZ thread.  Especially with all of the MXZ haters on this forum:biggrin: Pickleforks rule:rockon:

Edited by Chappy

2020MXZ
On 10/2/2019 at 2:18 PM, roonedoggie said:

the wiring hardness is there to tap into... I would go dealer, I had them install after I got the boat. install price was negligible.  Just have to turn it on in setting to recognize.

Thank you! Sounds like something we’ll be doing being that we didn’t ‘check the box’ to have them included, think they would install third party parts?

2020MXZ
On 10/3/2019 at 8:20 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

One of our favorite features of our 19 is the under water lights.  The blue is awesome.  Kids love them.  Wouldn't get another boat without them.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

2020MXZ
On 10/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, Chappy said:

Following! I have a 2019 24 MXZ and love it! We went with the factory led lights so sorry I can't help with that but like the idea of a dedicated MXZ thread.  Especially with all of the MXZ haters on this forum:biggrin: Pickleforks rule:rockon:

Love the passion, “they hate us cuz they ain’t us!” Let’s get this thread poppin’ 

2020MXZ
On 10/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

IMO, if you want under water transom lights, check the box if you are ordering a boat. MSRP for my 2019 build was $767.00. They are pretty dang bright and everything is done from the factory. Once you factor in your % off MSRP you are paying the same or less than aftermarket lights. Lets assume 20% MSRP, so I paid 613.60 installed.

For 2020 the lights are updated and in a new location to be less disturbed by the wedge and surf pipe.

Here are some pictures of mine. You can see how the surf pipe slightly blocks the port light.

IMG_5822.JPG

LED1.jpg

LED2.jpg

Thank you for the transparency and insight into the cost/benefit to your experience. Those pictures are BA! Love the look when you’re rippin’! Pretty incredible how noticeable that power wedge light blockage is... 

2020MXZ

Thanks guys I think that lighting for night cruising is pretty prime, sounds like something to strongly consider... Enjoy the thread and share any/everything - love reading content about this boat

PNWoke

this thread hurts because its both interesting, and a reminder that I bought a Bu this summer, held out to find one with transom lights, then never got a chance to run it at night.  **facepalm** :-D

ahopkinsVTX
1 hour ago, 2020MXZ said:

Thank you for the transparency and insight into the cost/benefit to your experience. Those pictures are BA! Love the look when you’re rippin’! Pretty incredible how noticeable that power wedge light blockage is... 

That blockage is from the surf pipe, not the wedge. That’s why it’s only on one side.