Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE on older Malibu

RzrbackAV

I have a new to me 2004 23LSV I'm doing updates to and I was curious how important FAE was to anyone with current or older Malibu's?  Is it worth the investment?  Engine noise doesn't really bother me too much but my boat has a distinctive gas smell, especially with full tanks, that I didn't know how much FAE would help with.  Open to any and all feedback.  TIA.

Chris

If you have a manual wedge the FAE does not work on your boat - at least the wedge (with FAE installed) cannot be moved up or down without someone getting in the water.  I tried on my 2005 and returned the FAE.

I love the FAE because it really quiets the boat.  A secondary reason is that it allowed me to remove the muffler and that opens up a lot of room at the back of the engine compartment, making impeller changes much easier.

As for the gas smell with full fuel, you definitely have a fuel leak.  It's probably not a big one, but you need to find it and get it fixed...the consequences are not worth it.  I would bet you a beer that all the hose clamps at the tank (2 fill hoses, 1 vent hose, 1 engine feed hose) haven't been re-tightened in some time...go tighten them and any other hose clamps associated with the fuel system.  Be sure to look/smell for any leaks next time out; it shouldn't be too hard to find the source.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

If you have a manual wedge the FAE does not work on your boat - at least the wedge (with FAE installed) cannot be moved up or down without someone getting in the water.  I tried on my 2005 and returned the FAE.

I definitely have the manual wedge so it sounds like a no-go for me.  Thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, RzrbackAV said:

I definitely have the manual wedge so it sounds like a no-go for me.  Thanks for the info!

https://www.freshairexhaust.com/your-boat/malibu/

You can add it with a manual wedge.  Just have to have a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the swim platform to mount it to.  I have an FAE on my 2004 23LSV, but I do have the floating wedge too.  Sure is a nice stereo upgrade.  Nice when you are surfing, boarding, cruising to be able to talk to the others in the boat without shouting the whole time.  Nice as a rider to hear the stereo and the water.  As a surfer sure is great to not have the constant exhaust tone in you face and the CO lingering there too.  

22 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

https://www.freshairexhaust.com/your-boat/malibu/

You can add it with a manual wedge.  Just have to have a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the swim platform to mount it to.  I have an FAE on my 2004 23LSV, but I do have the floating wedge too.  Sure is a nice stereo upgrade.  Nice when you are surfing, boarding, cruising to be able to talk to the others in the boat without shouting the whole time.  Nice as a rider to hear the stereo and the water.  As a surfer sure is great to not have the constant exhaust tone in you face and the CO lingering there too.  

So if I go the route of getting FAE I have to adjust it from in the water and no longer can raise/lower from the window in the swim platform?

4 minutes ago, RzrbackAV said:

So if I go the route of getting FAE I have to adjust it from in the water and no longer can raise/lower from the window in the swim platform?

Yes.  Or get a floating wedge.

40 minutes ago, RzrbackAV said:

No.  Look at the pictures on the FAE website and it appears the you can still use the door.  

I re-looked at the photos myself.  Unless you can spider monkey your hand thru the door, it will be difficult to use the door.

Edited by blk93jeepzj
spelling, correction
On 10/1/2019 at 12:45 PM, minnmarker said:

Why is it even an issue with someone getting in the water to move the wedge?  I don't have a door on my platform, so I've always done with with my old manual wedge and current floater (with and without the FAE).

On 10/1/2019 at 12:24 PM, RzrbackAV said:

Is it worth the investment?  Engine noise doesn't really bother me too much but my boat has a distinctive gas smell, especially with full tanks, that I didn't know how much FAE would help with.

Gas smell, especially if the tank is full = fuel leak.  Stop using your boat until that is fixed.  The FAE will reduce exhaust fumes greatly, which is especially important when surfing.  The boat being quieter is a nice plus and the best stereo upgrade you can do for when the boat is running.

• 4 weeks later...

The gas smell could be coming from the vent line if the tank was filled to the top.  FAE won't help with that.  I would find out where the smell is coming from.  If it is the vent just avoid topping off the tank or just know some fuel will come out of the vent until a little bit of fuel is consumed.  Just be careful no one is smoking around it.  It could also be an environmental issue as CA marinas potential have large fines for any amount of fuel spilled into the water. 

If you have exhaust smell the FAE will help with that especially if you don't have catalytic converters on your engine. 

I have a 2010 LSV with the 350 Monsoon.  I added the FAE and really like it.  I wanted both reduced engine noise and reduce any exhaust in the surf zone.  I did notice a slight decrease in engine performance after adding the FAE.  With full ballast and full wedge pre-FAE I was already taking a bit of time to get to 22 mph, no issues while surfing.  After the FAE the struggle at wake board speeds was more obvious, could still get there but took a longer than I liked.  I still have the factory prop and called ACME to see about a prop change.  They helped me pick a new prop and after adding it was like having a new engine.  Immediately gets to speed no matter what amount of ballast or wedge I am using.  I also only lost about 1 mph on the top end which was important as I also slalom and barefoot quite a bit behind the boat.  Couldn't be happier.  (I needed a prop change even without the FAE.)

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2019 at 4:26 PM, BSUBU_Kris said:

The gas smell could be coming from the vent line if the tank was filled to the top.  FAE won't help with that.  I would find out where the smell is coming from.  If it is the vent just avoid topping off the tank or just know some fuel will come out of the vent until a little bit of fuel is consumed.  Just be careful no one is smoking around it.  It could also be an environmental issue as CA marinas potential have large fines for any amount of fuel spilled into the water. 

If you have exhaust smell the FAE will help with that especially if you don't have catalytic converters on your engine. 

I have a 2010 LSV with the 350 Monsoon.  I added the FAE and really like it.  I wanted both reduced engine noise and reduce any exhaust in the surf zone.  I did notice a slight decrease in engine performance after adding the FAE.  With full ballast and full wedge pre-FAE I was already taking a bit of time to get to 22 mph, no issues while surfing.  After the FAE the struggle at wake board speeds was more obvious, could still get there but took a longer than I liked.  I still have the factory prop and called ACME to see about a prop change.  They helped me pick a new prop and after adding it was like having a new engine.  Immediately gets to speed no matter what amount of ballast or wedge I am using.  I also only lost about 1 mph on the top end which was important as I also slalom and barefoot quite a bit behind the boat.  Couldn't be happier.  (I needed a prop change even without the FAE.)

What prop did you wind up going to???