Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fulton Jack ready to Collapse?

CoachRipp

Hey,

Looking for some advice on what is happening to my new Fulton Jack.  Just bought my 2012 23 LSV.  Came with a 2019 AXIS Trailer and Fulton 1500lb Jack.  I store it in an outside Lot when not in use. I have never Rolled the trailer on it's wheel.  I always hitch it on the truck or park it stationary on the Jack.  I just noticed the front wheel is self destructing and the jack seems to be riding the wheel and preventing the wheel from moving. See Pics.

Questions:

1 - What is causing this?

2 - Should I be storing the boat on a jack stand or something different than the wheel?

3 - Is this Fulton defective is there a better jack that I should replace it with?

Fulton Pics

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

CAll Fulton - I have found their customer service to be quite good.  Maybe they'll replace it?

My experience was to call Fulton and get the run around and the 3rd degree about how I abused my less than 90 day old “Fulton wench”. I would temper my expectations if I were you.

Edited by wdr
20 minutes ago, wdr said:

My experience was to call Fulton and get the run around and the 3rd degree about how I abused my less than 90 day old “Fulton wench”. I would temper my expectations if I were you.

Weird - I called twice and they sent free parts.  YMMV I guess.

I have had great luck getting parts replaced just by going through Boatmate warranty.  From there they usually forward on to the oem like fulton.  It takes a week or two but worked out great.  Just used it to replace the entire 2 disc surge hitch unit that I probably broke in frustration of a seized brake rotor... lol long story 🤷🏼‍♂️☺️

Thanks Guys!

So the consensus is: It's ok to store the boat on the jack/wheel but that I just may have a faulty wheel issue?  Again, I never moved the boat on this wheel.just raised the jack and left it.

Appreciate the quick responses as I think my jack is about to collapse... :(

1 minute ago, Bozboat said:

While it doesn’t look like it will collapse soon, I don’t know how I could sleep knowing that that poor thing was struggling to hold up my bu. 😳

Right?  I put some wood blocks underneath the tongue.  But I need to change that wheel.  Should I do something different while it sits in storage?  Is it too much weight on the wheel for long periods of time?

1 hour ago, CoachRipp said:

Right?  I put some wood blocks underneath the tongue.  But I need to change that wheel.  Should I do something different while it sits in storage?  Is it too much weight on the wheel for long periods of time?

I usually throw a jack stand under the tongue and let it is support 90% of the weight for long term storage. If you are worried about the Fulton failing, I would throw one under it for sure. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, CoachRipp said:

Thanks Guys!

So the consensus is: It's ok to store the boat on the jack/wheel but that I just may have a faulty wheel issue?  Again, I never moved the boat on this wheel.just raised the jack and left it.

Appreciate the quick responses as I think my jack is about to collapse... :(

This is not a faulty wheel, it is operator error.  To be very clear, *somebody* pulled your boat with the jack down.  If you didn't do it, it might do you well to figure out who did.

The wheel looks strong enough to me, but I can't see the tilt pin to see if it is bent.  In one picture it looks OK, in another one it doesn't.

Boatmate replaced mine under warranty. After that happened in 2017, I started putting the trailer tongue on a block and taking the weight off the jack, it has held up GREAT since then with no issues. I think the gears just suck in these, I took the old one apart and normal use had the gears stripped and bearings rolling around in there

17 hours ago, CoachRipp said:

Questions:

1 - What is causing this?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

So after thinking about this some more, here's my theory on what happened:

You hitched up the boat to take it out, and when you tilted the jack up it didn't quite latch in the horizontal position.  After you started moving, the jack fell and rolled on the ground.  This overheated the wheel at its axle, since it has no bearings and isn't made to go fast at all.  As the wheel melted and wallowed out at the axle, the outer edge of the wheel eventually began rubbing against the wheel frame, essentially putting a brake on the wheel.  At that point the wheel began hopping more than rolling, so one good hop caused it to latch in the horizontal position, where you thought you had it all along.  The result is this mysterious damage that just happened somehow.

Buy a new wheel, install it, and you won't have any more problems with the jack as long as you verify that it is latched before you go.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 6:02 PM, PNWoke said:

I have had great luck getting parts replaced just by going through Boatmate warranty.  From there they usually forward on to the oem like fulton.  It takes a week or two but worked out great.  Just used it to replace the entire 2 disc surge hitch unit that I probably broke in frustration of a seized brake rotor... lol long story 🤷🏼‍♂️☺️

Boatmate warranty replaces mine in a day shipped straight from Boatmate ,  3 so far in 5.5 years ,  only the last time did the counter parts guy made me talk to service/warranty manager ,  after his return call one day replacement  

Might be a little confuision here(correct me if I am wrong):

2019 trailer is not a boatmate trailer it's a malibu trailer.  While boatmate has great customer service they wont be any help here.  I am also questioning whether someone got good customer service from calling fulton or if they were in fact calling boatmate for a fulton issue as fulton generally does not have great customer service. 

Edited by vanamp

My 2019 is Malibu trailer. I have never had a problem dealing with BoatMate. Fulton on the other hand leaves much to be desired! Overall build quality of the trailers seems to be about the same between the two. 

Edited by wdr
Sp
16 hours ago, vanamp said:

Might be a little confuision here(correct me if I am wrong):

2019 trailer is not a boatmate trailer it's a malibu trailer.  While boatmate has great customer service they wont be any help here.  I am also questioning whether someone got good customer service from calling fulton or if they were in fact calling boatmate for a fulton issue as fulton generally does not have great customer service. 

I went directly back to Fulton for an issue on my 2018 Malibu trailer with a Fulton Jack that I had issue with. They shipped me a complete new Jack after sending pics of my issue.