Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Ford Super Duty Numbers

RyanB

I can't wait for TFLT to race these trucks up Ike hauling 30,000 lbs.  Ford's reported numbers are pretty sick, especially the HP number of the Diesel.       

Edited by jjackkrash

I am not a Ford guy..but...crazy numbers. Guess they didnt want Ram to be torque king. It is a game. All the big 3 have to do is make a programming adjustment. Wala. +75 ft*lbs torque. Cant believe they dont design the supporting components with this in mind. I have a 200hp tune on my 13 Ram can change it to 5 diff levels 

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Is Ford not offering a F350 dually anymore? There is a huge ride difference between the 350 and 450 dually. 

It’s a bit of a game. Not sure if it is still this way, but in the past the only way Ford could claim some of the best in class towing and payload was with the F450. The RAM 3500 had higher ratings than the F350. 

2 hours ago, RyanB said:

It’s a bit of a game. Not sure if it is still this way, but in the past the only way Ford could claim some of the best in class towing and payload was with the F450. The RAM 3500 had higher ratings than the F350. 

Makes sense, kind of like using a different gear ratio for advantage on towing challenge. :whistle:

When will this up the tow rating game stop on these 3/4 ton trucks?  It's not a power issue; it's a chassis issue.  Handling that payload and braking are the concerns I'd have - I'm sure all of the big 3's diesel offerings have the power to tow 40,000 lbs right now stock.

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

When will this up the tow rating game stop on these 3/4 ton trucks?  It's not a power issue; it's a chassis issue.  Handling that payload and braking are the concerns I'd have - I'm sure all of the big 3's diesel offerings have the power to tow 40,000 lbs right now stock.

Exactly.  I'm pretty sure that my 28 HP Kubota tractor could easily pull 40,000 pounds on wheels.  It can't go fast, but it could probably get that load moving easier than your big truck can.

Heck, three of us pushed an F-16 by hand back in the day.  I was shocked at how easily it moved.

Stopping the load safely is by far the harder thing to do.

• Like 1

Where you also really need the truck to shine is downhill around curves and situations like emergency lane changes for collision avoidance.  

But stopping and handling aside, you need HP to tow heavy over a pass at freeway speed.  And it is nice to tow heavy at full freeway speed over a pass without the engine or tranny getting too hot.  It is one thing to get something moving, it is another to hold 65 or 70 MPH for an hour with 20,000 lbs. strapped to your rear end heading up a 6% or steeper grade.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Ford is offering a F600 cab and chassis along with the F450.  I think these would handle the loads a lot better than the traditional F250 and F350.  I couldn't agree more on the handling and braking,  not only the ability of the machine but the driver.  I nearly got plowed the other day by a woman on the phone in a dually F350 pulling a 30"+ loaded horse trailer.

Ram also has a 4500 & 5500, and Chevy has 4500, 5500, and 6500. Why throw a F450 at the unknowing consumer as a class leader when the others are putting up 1 ton dually numbers? Not trying to start a brand bashing thread. I just don't understand why TFL would accept this truck for a fair comparison test.

4 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Ram also has a 4500 & 5500, and Chevy has 4500, 5500, and 6500. Why throw a F450 at the unknowing consumer as a class leader when the others are putting up 1 ton dually numbers? Not trying to start a brand bashing thread. I just don't understand why TFL would accept this truck for a fair comparison test.

My guess is that it comes with a standard box and all other interior and  cab configurations as the rest of the line up.  It would be fun if they did one with the bigger trucks with flat beds.

I don't understand the "F450" designation on that truck, as it is still has a 14,000 GVRW and is considered a Class III/light duty truck, from what I understand.   I am pretty sure the GM 4500s are on the Kodiak platform and have more than a 14k GVRW and are considered Class IV/medium duty trucks.  There are some difference in the F450 over the F350, like heftier tires and wider front axles (but a shorter wheel base), but it has the same GVRW as the F350 DRW.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 3 months later...

I am not sure you can go wrong with any of the new truck offerings.   Sort of like wake boats, there are great offerings from many manufacturers and it starts to come down to style and preferences.    I am starting to get antsy for my new truck, but a VIN hasn't been assigned yet.  It will still probably be March before I get it.  

• Like 2

They need to do the same test at 90+ temps to compare cooling and egt temps to see how much they affect performance and how much the tune will limit power under heavy towing. 

11 hours ago, MLBurns said:

They need to do the same test at 90+ temps to compare cooling and egt temps to see how much they affect performance and how much the tune will limit power under heavy towing. 

Good luck with that.  Temps rarely get that warm at that elevation.