Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Change my VTX 20 for the Axis A22?

Burgy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and I was wondering if anyone can help me make a decision between keeping my 2015 VTX or moving to a 2018 new Axis A22 with 5 years of warranty.  I really like my VTX however our family has been doing more surf than any other sport with the boat plus were normally 6 to 8 on the boat most times out and starting to run out of space.  Space is not my main concern here it's really about the surfing.  

So my question,  Is the 2018 A22 surf wave that much better  than the 2015 VTX and  worth me moving to the A22?  Dealer told me I won't need to deploy the wedge with the A22 and I will save on fuel.  Also said it make double the size of the 2015 VTX. 

Help please and thanks in advance.

I’d be sure it has a wedge and surf gates! You’ll be want the option to change. The A22 is a beast. Won’t ski as well but otherwise a good option if your focus is surf. 

Demo them first on the same day to compare! 

Thanks everyone,  I did demo the A22 today and the surf wave does look a lot cleaner and a bit longer.  I tested both with the auto wedge and without and both waves were nice.  Without the wedge it clean and long and with the auto wedge deployed it's a bit steeper.  The A22 is also deeper and that extra 2 feet makes a big difference, you also get that rear flip seat which is nice and the beam is also 4 inch wider.  I also noticed that the nose is a lot lower than my VTX while surfing so you don't need to stand to see in front while driving.  With all this information I still don't know if I should spend that extra 25k to get a new boat??  The A22 has lots of plastic inside compared to my VTX.   I'll do some more thinking I guess? Thanks again everyone for the input.

I would hope it would be a steal of a deal on a 2018 at this point. Especially since the A22 was re-designed for 2019. I wouldn't let that stop you, but just something to think about.

If you don't care about skiing anymore, I think it's worth it. Much larger boat (4" wider & 2' longer), larger base engine (409 vs. 350 I assume), new surfgates/actuators & 5-year warranty again. The 5-year warranty is a big thing and will be super nice to have again.

3 hours ago, Suggy said:

I would hope it would be a steal of a deal on a 2018 at this point. Especially since the A22 was re-designed for 2019. I wouldn't let that stop you, but just something to think about.

If you don't care about skiing anymore, I think it's worth it. Much larger boat (4" wider & 2' longer), larger base engine (409 vs. 350 I assume), new surfgates/actuators & 5-year warranty again. The 5-year warranty is a big thing and will be super nice to have again.

You assume correct Suggy 409 over 350 for the engine.  The good deal is on a 2019 MLX 21 right now however it would be an extra 25k compared to the 2018 A22.  

4 hours ago, Burgy said:

You assume correct Suggy 409 over 350 for the engine.  The good deal is on a 2019 MLX 21 right now however it would be an extra 25k compared to the 2018 A22.  

I’d take the A22 all day for that price delta.

12 hours ago, Raleigh said:

I’d take the A22 all day for that price delta.

So would I, as long as it has Power Wedge. A22 will have a better wave and is a much bigger boat.

The switch from your VTX to the MLX wave wise would be huge, but space wouldn't be much different at all. The A22 offers both wave and size upgrade.

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

It’s holdover because of the auto set wedge and year before redesign ,  don’t over pay 

The 2018 A22 that I am looking at is auto wedge only.  If I go 2019 A22 with a Power wedge I can get a demo 2019 MLX 21 for the same price.   

Sit in both snd if you have big crew, get the bigger boat , if regular small crew get the Malibu if you like it’s bling 

more surfing?  Or a mixture of wake , surf, ski,  go MLX

A22 will be superior surf snd if you run just stock, wedge and crew without pnp for wake you will get a better wakeboard wake as well 

22 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Sit in both snd if you have big crew, get the bigger boat , if regular small crew get the Malibu if you like it’s bling 

more surfing?  Or a mixture of wake , surf, ski,  go MLX

A22 will be superior surf snd if you run just stock, wedge and crew without pnp for wake you will get a better wakeboard wake as well 

We mostly surf and some intermediate wake boarding.   The Axis I am looking at does not have the power wedge 3 at that price.  I normally have a small crew since I'm on the lake.  I tried the 2018 A22 with Auto wedge and the 2019 MLX 21 and I must say the the wave look about the same except that the mlx had a nicer curl at the end.  Not sure if the wave is difference between the 2018 A22 and 2019 I think the surf gate is a bit bigger on the 2019 now?  And this is the next question the salesman says I don't need the power wedge and I think he's just trying to sell me a boat with auto wedge because I know on my current VTX the power wedge 2 makes a big difference, specially when the young one "9 year old" surf helps cut down the wave for them.  However with the PNP rear bags of 550 on the 2019 MLX and wedge not deployed the wave was really clean and long also keeps the nose down.

6 hours ago, Burgy said:

We mostly surf and some intermediate wake boarding.   The Axis I am looking at does not have the power wedge 3 at that price.  I normally have a small crew since I'm on the lake.  I tried the 2018 A22 with Auto wedge and the 2019 MLX 21 and I must say the the wave look about the same except that the mlx had a nicer curl at the end.  Not sure if the wave is difference between the 2018 A22 and 2019 I think the surf gate is a bit bigger on the 2019 now?  And this is the next question the salesman says I don't need the power wedge and I think he's just trying to sell me a boat with auto wedge because I know on my current VTX the power wedge 2 makes a big difference, specially when the young one "9 year old" surf helps cut down the wave for them.  However with the PNP rear bags of 550 on the 2019 MLX and wedge not deployed the wave was really clean and long also keeps the nose down.

Do not judge on the look of a wave , put on a suit snd ride it and use the wedge on the mlx and adjust it with surfband,  then the a22 with snd without wedge  

10 hours ago, Burgy said:

The hull and whole boat got a redesign in 2019 on the A22. The 2019 surfs better. Get the PWII or III. I am passing on the hand wedge, if only for the surf band and lift mode without having to mess around with the wedge.