Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Axis Wakeboard Wakes

theloungelife

Hey all, I've demoed the 2020 A22 and T22.  Thought the wakes were similar with the T22 seeming a little less wide and a little more peaky.  At this demo I also rode the new 23 MXZ.  That wake was insane.  This had me thinking maybe it's due to a biggerheavier boat in part.  How do you find the wakeboard wake compares in the T23 and A24 to their smaller brothers?  Do any of these boats compare to the new 23 MXZ?  

Note, most concerned with wakeboard wake, as we rarely surf.  

Did the A22 have plug n play? If so, what setup? What about the MXZ?

The A22 gets big for sure. It requires 750s, some bow weight and usually wedge setting 4.

The 23 MXZ and A24 also get huge and have the benefit of the 17” prop. That’s really what allows those boats to push more weight.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 3

At the Demo, I'm pretty positive the A22 had 450s in the rear pnp and whatever sac is normally in the nose.  I also brought a 400lbs sac for on top of the seats in the nose, which was full.  We had that with wedge at 4.  I did like that wake, but it didn't seem much different from my current 2013 A22 wake.  I did like that with the PW3, it seemed like there was room to grow weight wise that seemed to create increased potential over my current boat.

Not sure on the MXZ PNP, but I know it had something in there.  

30 minutes ago, theloungelife said:

At the Demo, I'm pretty positive the A22 had 450s in the rear pnp and whatever sac is normally in the nose.  I also brought a 400lbs sac for on top of the seats in the nose, which was full.  We had that with wedge at 4.  I did like that wake, but it didn't seem much different from my current 2013 A22 wake.  I did like that with the PW3, it seemed like there was room to grow weight wise that seemed to create increased potential over my current boat.

Not sure on the MXZ PNP, but I know it had something in there.  

750s man. The game will be changed. It must have been jumping out of the hole, which is tell-tale sign that you can go bigger on ballast. Even my boat with 750s in the rear and lead in the bow (plus all other ballast full) gets on plane EASILY with just a driver. I can tell you right now, my 2019 A22 wake is WAY bigger (like, different playing field bigger) than my 2011 A22 wake was, and that thing was loaded with weight.

Let's be real though. Buy the biggest boat you feel comfortable affording. The jump from A22 to A24 will DEFINITELY give you a bigger wake.

End of the day though, it takes time to dial in a wake. I have ridden in so many different Axis, Malibus, Moombas, Nautiques, etc... , and all of them have some slightly unique way that the owner sets it up to get the wake just right for the boat. It's hard to be disappointed these days.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 3

But that said, the A22 wake is still extremely good dialed in. Maybe my last comment was an overstatement. The 22' boats don't need that set up to optimize the haul. That being said though I wouldn't buy a 24' without the 17" prop no matter who the mfg was. 

On 9/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, boardjnky4 said:

750s man. The game will be changed. It must have been jumping out of the hole, which is tell-tale sign that you can go bigger on ballast. Even my boat with 750s in the rear and lead in the bow (plus all other ballast full) gets on plane EASILY with just a driver. I can tell you right now, my 2019 A22 wake is WAY bigger (like, different playing field bigger) than my 2011 A22 wake was, and that thing was loaded with weight.

Let's be real though. Buy the biggest boat you feel comfortable affording. The jump from A22 to A24 will DEFINITELY give you a bigger wake.

End of the day though, it takes time to dial in a wake. I have ridden in so many different Axis, Malibus, Moombas, Nautiques, etc... , and all of them have some slightly unique way that the owner sets it up to get the wake just right for the boat. It's hard to be disappointed these days.

That's good to hear coming from another gen1 A22 owner.  We weight my current a22 pretty well (hard tanks removed with 1000lb sumos on each side of the engine that probably fill to 900, mid ship tank, arrow sack in the nose, and a 540 on top of the seats + autowedge).  With all that even with the LS3, it takes bit to get on plane due to elevation (5,700').  I could see the new A22 with PW3 and the M6DI allowing even more weight to really juice it up.  

1 hour ago, theloungelife said:

Anyone have any experience with the newer T23 vs A22/A24 wakeboard wake wise?

The A24 wakeboard wake is superior to the T23 IMO. It’s like a wall of water. Also better than A22 due to length of boat and how far back the wakes are, they are all good though. 

• Like 1

I recently switched from a 2007 23LSV to a 2019 A24, and have wakeboarded behind a 2019 T23 and 2012 22MXZ.  I liked my old 23LSV and fully planned to buy a T23 to get more freeboard, but thought I should try the A24 just to be sure.  The wakeboard wake between the T23 and A24 was not even close.

My 2007 23LSV Setup was Power Wedge 2 or 3 clicks up plus roughly 4K in ballast (1250 stock + 750s in lockers + 1100 on floor + about 600 bow sack) + small crew.  This was right at the limit of my 15x12 prop.  I had to have the speed around 23.5 (checked with phone GPS) or the wake would get too soft, but it was a good wake.  The bow was really low when weighted like this and required a lot of attention.  I demoed a 2019 T23 and the wake seemed very similar to the LSV.

I’ve been out behind a couple 2012 MXZs.  Both had a slightly less tall, but longer and meatier wake (more substance on the other side of the lip) than my 23LSV and could be ridden a bit slower.  I believe both had sacks in each locker and another in the bow.  This config maxed out the Monsoon with a 15x12 prop.  Good wake but both could have used a bit more weight.  I’m going to guess the A22 is pretty similar but would be able to get more weight on plane.

I ride my 2019 A24 with Power Wedge at 3 plus roughly 4.5K in ballast (1875 built in + custom 850’s in lockers + 1100 on floor) + small crew and stock 17x15.5 prop.  The wake is more similar in shape to the 22 MXZ, but much taller, longer, and wider.  Because the wake is so meaty, I ride at 22.3 (checked with phone GPS) which is really nice.  The takeoffs and landings are super smooth and predictable which I think is due to the longer transition as well as the absence of any trough.

Definitely demo the A22 and A24, they may not be as similar as you would think.

2 minutes ago, Daren said:

I recently switched from a 2007 23LSV to a 2019 A24, and have wakeboarded behind a 2019 T23 and 2012 22MXZ.  I liked my old 23LSV and fully planned to buy a T23 to get more freeboard, but thought I should try the A24 just to be sure.  The wakeboard wake between the T23 and A24 was not even close.

My 2007 23LSV Setup was Power Wedge 2 or 3 clicks up plus roughly 4K in ballast (1250 stock + 750s in lockers + 1100 on floor + about 600 bow sack) + small crew.  This was right at the limit of my 15x12 prop.  I had to have the speed around 23.5 (checked with phone GPS) or the wake would get too soft, but it was a good wake.  The bow was really low when weighted like this and required a lot of attention.  I demoed a 2019 T23 and the wake seemed very similar to the LSV.

I’ve been out behind a couple 2012 MXZs.  Both had a slightly less tall, but longer and meatier wake (more substance on the other side of the lip) than my 23LSV and could be ridden a bit slower.  I believe both had sacks in each locker and another in the bow.  This config maxed out the Monsoon with a 15x12 prop.  Good wake but both could have used a bit more weight.  I’m going to guess the A22 is pretty similar but would be able to get more weight on plane.

I ride my 2019 A24 with Power Wedge at 3 plus roughly 4.5K in ballast (1875 built in + custom 850’s in lockers + 1100 on floor) + small crew and stock 17x15.5 prop.  The wake is more similar in shape to the 22 MXZ, but much taller, longer, and wider.  Because the wake is so meaty, I ride at 22.3 (checked with phone GPS) which is really nice.  The takeoffs and landings are super smooth and predictable which I think is due to the longer transition as well as the absence of any trough.

Definitely demo the A22 and A24, they may not be as similar as you would think.

Do you surf at all? How is the surf wave on the LSV vs the A24 if so?

I'm not super into surfing but we do surf.  The A24 is better (longer wave, taller, more adjustable), but I will surf any boat and have fun ... definitely not the case with wakeboarding.  The rollers that we send down the lake are embarrassingly huge.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daren said:

I'm not super into surfing but we do surf.  The A24 is better (longer wave, taller, more adjustable), but I will surf any boat and have fun ... definitely not the case with wakeboarding.  The rollers that we send down the lake are embarrassingly huge.

Love it! I bet it is fun!

10 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Do you surf at all? How is the surf wave on the LSV vs the A24 if so?

Get that surf talk out of here...  haha, this is wakeboard thread. 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  Sounds like I need to demo an A24 and A22 in the same day.  Also sounds like it is worth skipping the T23.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A22 slammed throughs a hell of a wakeboard wave. the biggest limit you will have is the motor (409 and 15" prop). But a couple pros have ridden it, loved he shape landed doubles and mobe 5s.... so yea no issues there with size.

The A24 slammed is in the same class as G23 / SA550 / Xstar wakes. With the new m6di in it, i can only imagine the size. 

• Like 1