Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phase5 skim board help

asnowman

I have the opportunity to buy a (maybe a couple) phase5 boards for next season. Need to put the order in before the end of month for 2020 boards.  My 12 & 13 year old boys have done really well on the prop we bought this summer, but want something they can progress to, as well as something i can ride. I am 5'11" about 185 lbs, my 13yo is the best in our family, learning to do 360's, and transfers. He will probably be pushing 6' and about 120-130 lbs. 

I have been using a hyperlite broadcast for several years, and now have a happy pill as well, but want something more responsive that we can grow into. 

Has to be phase 5 boards on this one. 

6 hours ago, asnowman said:

I have the opportunity to buy a (maybe a couple) phase5 boards for next season. Need to put the order in before the end of month for 2020 boards.  My 12 & 13 year old boys have done really well on the prop we bought this summer, but want something they can progress to, as well as something i can ride. I am 5'11" about 185 lbs, my 13yo is the best in our family, learning to do 360's, and transfers. He will probably be pushing 6' and about 120-130 lbs. 

I have been using a hyperlite broadcast for several years, and now have a happy pill as well, but want something more responsive that we can grow into. 

Has to be phase 5 boards on this one. 

I went from the Broadcast to the P5 Model X.  You will notice a big difference in the speed of the Model X compared to your broadcast.  I would probably go with the Model X or the Diamond.  Both boards have 3 fins and you can remove them as you and your kids progress.  The Diamond has smaller fins than the model X making it a little more advanced.  You can always get different fins for the model X making it harder to ride as everybody advances.  I removed the two outer fins from my Model X and bought a 1" tail fin.  That made a big difference and much easier to spin.  Me personally, if I don't go surf style, my next board is either going to be the MVP or Matrix.  I still haven't out surfed my Model X yet.

6 hours ago, Chia said:

If you have a decent wave the weight ratings are meaningless.

I don't think the wave will be our limiting factor any more.

1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

I went from the Broadcast to the P5 Model X.  You will notice a big difference in the speed of the Model X compared to your broadcast.  I would probably go with the Model X or the Diamond.  Both boards have 3 fins and you can remove them as you and your kids progress.  The Diamond has smaller fins than the model X making it a little more advanced.  You can always get different fins for the model X making it harder to ride as everybody advances.  I removed the two outer fins from my Model X and bought a 1" tail fin.  That made a big difference and much easier to spin.  Me personally, if I don't go surf style, my next board is either going to be the MVP or Matrix.  I still haven't out surfed my Model X yet.

We could have grabbed a scamp this summer, but 13yo liked the prop better. I was leaning towards a diamond, but haven't ridden any of them, and didn't want to go for too big a jump in performance.

• 1 month later...

Get the MVP ist great and light and fasst, but u may want to get their deeper fin to swap with the shallow one to help stop spinning.. otherwise a 360 is hard to stop, even with deeper fin 720s are difficult to stop

Hammerhead new lighter construction one is not bad but tad slower, IMO have one used once I'll make deal on.. Wall art now.. 

I may try the model x next as everyone says it's faster but not sure how it compares to the MVP for weight.. the lighter the board construction the better I've found. 

I ended up using a diamond turbo when we were out on the m240, and ordered one of those. I'm not able to do a 360 yet, but that's my goal for next summer.

The diamond turbo feels fast and light compared to what i had ridden until then.