Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 RAM EcoDiesel MPG Test

RyanB

Did they change motors in it this year? A coworker bought one last year and if he really tries to get best mpg possible, the best it has done so far has been 28mpg at 65 mph. Has to be a calculation mistake or pump meter is wrong, my mom had a VW Jetta TDI and it only did 45-50 mph on hwy. 

Edited by MLBurns
add on
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I have no idea what you call a "small car" but 12 mpg is not part of that equation.

12 was towing.  It got 40 MPG solo.

52 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

Did they change motors in it this year? A coworker bought one last year and if he really tries to get best mpg possible, the best it has done so far has been 28mpg at 65 mph. Has to be a calculation mistake or pump meter is wrong, my mom had a VW Jetta TDI and it only did 45-50 mph on hwy. 

Yes, it is the 3rd generation of that motor.  I also think that the pump is suspect, but I don't know why they wouldn't just re-test right then.

As far as MPG is concerned, I have a 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee.  My best MPG so far is 29.73.  I usually set cruise at 80, and it gets 24 - 26 at those speeds.  It gets 20 MPG with cruise set at 70 MPH towing my fishing boat, so higher speeds do have a dramatic effect on MPG.  All my numbers are hand calculated.

That would be awesome if 40 is a real number.  I also wonder if because its a pre-production model whether if it has been tested to meet emissions standards. 

Edited by jjackkrash
4 hours ago, RyanB said:

12 was towing.  It got 40 MPG solo.

Yes, it is the 3rd generation of that motor.  I also think that the pump is suspect, but I don't know why they wouldn't just re-test right then.

As far as MPG is concerned, I have a 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee.  My best MPG so far is 29.73.  I usually set cruise at 80, and it gets 24 - 26 at those speeds.  It gets 20 MPG with cruise set at 70 MPH towing my fishing boat, so higher speeds do have a dramatic effect on MPG.  All my numbers are hand calculated.

They need to make another YouTube video for the $$$.

Impressive results.  I hope they have fixed all the flaws from the previous generations.  

The towing numbers aren't very good.  I'm getting better than that on my 5.3 GM towing over 7K (weighed on scales), and an additional 1000 lbs in the truck, over multiple 7000 ft passes.  And, there is no way it got 40 mpg, something is wrong there.

If they somehow prove the numbers are correct and it does get 40 mpg unloaded an 12mpg towing, it says a lot about the towing performance of this truck. That is barely over 25% performance with a load, would make me think that it doesn't have enough performance to do much of anything except go to the store and get groceries. The reason I say that is diesel fuel has more energy than gas and if you lose close to 3/4 of your energy efficiency when towing it must be straining horribly under a load. The ecoboost looses around 1/2 of it's efficiency while towing.

2 hours ago, mrothwell said:

The towing numbers aren't very good.  I'm getting better than that on my 5.3 GM towing over 7K (weighed on scales), and an additional 1000 lbs in the truck, over multiple 7000 ft passes.  And, there is no way it got 40 mpg, something is wrong there.

I agree, my hemi can beat 12 mpg(flat ground pulling around 6K) . However if they are managing to squeak 40mpg out unloaded they might have the truck geared super steep.

Car and driver is saying they got 24MPG out of an ecoboost rebel, which seems more believable.  I'd expect a non rebel to get a little better

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28918699/2020-ram-1500-rebel-ecodiesel-by-the-numbers/

Edited by oldjeep

It doesn’t sound too crazy I guess. My 6.7 Cummins 2500 gets 20-21 if you drive easy and stay under 65 mph. Is that truck half the size, weight, and have a smaller engine than mine? Plausible I guess. Although when I worked for Lexus no one ever got the mpg the manufacturer said they would. Why should this truck be any different? 

59 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Although when I worked for Lexus no one ever got the mpg the manufacturer said they would. Why should this truck be any different? 

We get better gas mileage on our Pathfinder than advertized.

• 2 weeks later...