Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VLX won't go over 3,000rpm's with throttle all the way open

I was cruising around today and found myself in an unexpected shallow area (1-2 feet on the depth gauge) full of weeds. The maliview display gave me a "LOW OIL PRESSURE WARNING" for a brief moment and then went away. I was going very slow when I found myself in this shallow area (full of weeds) and went very slow until I was out. it was a 2-3 minutes in this area before I could get all the way out. Not sure how shallow it really was in there as I don't think it was actually only 1-2 feet deep. There were a bunch of weeds I think that were setting the depth gauge off.

Once I got out of this shallow area full of weeds, the boat wouldn't go past 3,000rpm's (around 25-26 mph). I've pulled up weeds in the past and its had a different effect on the boat. When I've pulled up weeds in the past, the engine gets all bogged down when I go to throttle and it won't really accelerate hardly at all. I'll then hit the throttle a few times between reverse and forward to clear things out. Then I've always been able to get it running fine shortly after. 

This time was different which makes me think it wasn't just the weeds. It runs perfectly fine with full normal acceleration and power up all the way until the engine hits 3,000rpm's, then it tops out and won't go past 3,000. I'll continue to push the throttle more and more open, but it has no affect as it won't go past 3,000rpm's.

I ran about 25-30 minutes home. It never went past 3,000rpm's. It was like a preset was set to keep it at 3000rpm's, but I double and triple checked to make sure nothing was set to stop the speed of rpm's. I tried to hit the throttle a few times between reverse and forward a few different times during my 25-30 minute trip home, but it had no affect on helping the situation.

Any idea what could have happened? What should I do to try and fix this?

THANKS!!!

Edited by Fish209

Sounds like the engine went into limp mode, limiting RPMs to 3000.  My understanding is that instead of shutting the engine down, if it is already running it will go into limp mode, but if the ECM switch thinks you have low/no oil pressure upon start, you will get a start but will engine will not continue to run after the initial key-up fuel is burned since the oil pressure switch inhibits the fuel pump (except key up.)  Could also be related to engine over head (clogged intake from weeds?) but sounds to me like it is oil pressure related.

Side note, normally there would be an audio/beep alarm associated with this...so I'd make sure that is fixed regardless if this is your issue or not.

2r289lk.jpg

Edited by formulaben

Thanks! It might have beeped as well when I got the Low Oil Pressure Warning. I just don't remember if it did beep or not.

For someone not very mechanical (ME!), what steps should I take to check the oil pressure? Or should I have someone that knows what they're doing take a look to make sure all is good before running the boat again?

Thanks!

I'm willing to bet that the oil pressure is just fine, it's the switch (the one on the right as pictured above) that is bad.  It's a very simple fix, they fail somewhat often so I'd just swap it out and keep an eye on the indicated oil pressure on your dash, as they are 2 separate sensors.  Bakes has them  here.

Edited by formulaben

Thanks formulaben! Could this switch go bad just because I ran over some weeds? The Low Oil Pressure Warning came on just as I was entering this shallow, weed filled area. The warning went away after a couple seconds.

Is the switch you linked the exact one I will need for a 2009 VLX?

Thanks again formulaben!

No, the weeds have nothing to do with oil pressure except only other thing I can think of is an overheat condition due to the weeds, but since the low oil pressure warning came on, I'd go with that first.  Look on the starboard side of your engine and if it looks the same as the picture above then I'd wager it is a match...I don't think that switch has changed but not 100% positive.  You can call Bakes and verify or just take the old one to your local auto parts store and get a match, as it's not marine specific.