Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 axis a22 vdrive locked up? Need help

Wrbrackett

HI EVERYONE

AWESOME FOURM!

i have a 2015 axis a22 I bought new only has 100 hours on it.all service up to date from the dealership.i took it out today on the lake.driving about 10 mph I heard a bang from the engine compartment.sounded like I hit something.i shut the boat off and locked for anything I could have hit or maybe run over someone ski rope.

checked the prop and it was fine.boat started right back up no error codes.

when I went to put it in gear forward or back it would shut off the engine.seems like the drive is locked up?

any advise or input?

bot is out of warranty so I’m trying to get a idea on what this is going to cost me.

thank you everyone Bill

Check the vdrive, see if there is enough gear oil in it or if there is water in the oil.  There are two small square head plugs on each side of the rear of the vdrive, take one of them out to check the attached dipstick.  Your owner's manual should have a diagram of the vdrive to help you find it.  If the vdrive is seized, the motor will stall when you shift into forward or reverse.

Thank you guys!i honestly didn’t know where to even start.

what does a v drive usually cost to replace?

its disappointing that the v drive would go at only 100 hours.i have always tried to really take care of the axis and have always had it serviced at the dealership.they aren’t open till Monday so I was trying to get a idea on the cost before I spoke to my dealership.

again I really appreciate all the help and insight 

sincerely Bill

That just means it had/has water in it some how. Not a good sign though. Is there a way to turn it by hand? What about spinning the prop? It’s going to make a moan sound, but should be able to turn by hand.

Oh, sorry, didn’t know she was not on a trailer. Turning the prop would tell you for sure if it is locked up or not. Tough to say if the vdrive is toast. They rarely go bad, even with some water intrusion, is why I’m hesitant to jump to that quickly. 

I will pull the boat and see if I can turn the prop at all.I really appreciate all your help.Is it safe to say if I the prop doesn't move the v drive is seized?If it is seized any idea on what is involved in the repair costs?Sorry for the the questions I'm just trying to get as educated as I can before I drop it off to the dealership.

thank you Bill

All good man, yes if it doesn’t turn... I’d say you are right. Something with the vdrive is not working right. I don’t know the difficulty of changing one, maybe someone else can shed some light on that. Doesn’t look that hard.. but it could be. Either way it will be expensive, parts and labor, from the dealer.

11 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

@Wrbrackett On second thought.... same thing may have happened to their vdrive...worth a read for you.

Yup, this just happened to my 2015 A22 as well.  @Wrbrackett, has your boat had a cracked hull?  You can read the story of my boat on the thread BlindSquirrel posted.  Sorry to say it sounds like you'll need a new vdrive.  I heard that PCM doesn't sell individual parts so you can't repair seized vdrives and need to buy new ones (~$5,000 plus labor).  Maybe you could find a used one?  I didn't find any when I looked.  Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for all the help.

i was reading there was some type of recall/letter sent out to axis owners about a v drive oil vent issue?

any one know if this or if it effected the 2015 axis a22?

thank you again !

21 hours ago, Wrbrackett said:

Thank you for all the help.

i was reading there was some type of recall/letter sent out to axis owners about a v drive oil vent issue?

any one know if this or if it effected the 2015 axis a22?

thank you again !

If you find out more about that recall please let me know.  I did a little research, but didn't find anything definitive.  It does seem like there should have been a recall as it's not just us two with 2015 A22 bad vdrives...

• 6 months later...

My 2015 T22 literally just did same thing. Can't turn prop at all. But my tranny fluid looks good, not milky at all. What ended up being the issue? 

• 2 months later...

Mine didn’t lock up but was making a weird grinding noise. Took it to the dealer. Waiting to hear a price but dealer said my 2015 A22 needs a new v drive. 370 hours. 

• 3 months later...

Fellas,

I too have a 2015 Axis T22 around 300 hours.  There are lots of us with smoked vdrive units from Pleasurecraft.  Failure comes with squealing, screaching, grinding, and eventual lock-ups.  

Have you guys seen this service advisory, SAP2016-04 - Vdrive Oil Level Check / Vent Operation?  Do you have the new vent kit installed on your vdrive?  I recently replaced my vdrive because of a whining noise.  Turns out I was low on fluid because of a defective vent design.  DM me if you want a copy of the SA.  

@ Mogey5, stephon777, and rbrently how did your situations turn out?  

Best !

• 8 months later...

Any updates on this fellas. Mine did the same thing today.  Just trolling along & a clunk & shuts down.  My fluid looks good clean & clear.  Would love to hear what happened.