Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All about biggest/best surf wave. T23 vs A24

massew

20 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Do you use lift mode at all out of the pocket? I heard this helps with underpowered engines but obviously not enough in your case for wakeboarding. I've spent 23 years with an underpowered engine so I am heavily leaning towards the M6. Just in case!

Yes.  It makes a world of difference. If youre questioning it at all, go for it, cause youll regret not.  

Discussing with a major Malibu/Axis dealer. Going bigger boat wont equal a bigger surfwave!?. The T22 would be the best sweet spot. Going to T23 or A24 wont be significant. Compared to my 2012 21 Vride. The difference will be in the newly overhaul hull to better work with surfgate. There should be a difference in shape and lenght. If putting too much weight surf gate become too much under water and over wash the surf wave. 

Anybody have feedback on this? Recent T22 -> T23 -> A24 ? surfwave difference.

Its almost to a point where the surface gate should be adjustable in height?! Anybody have tried puting a 2-3inch add on on top? some kind of aluminum piece?Just saying...🤗😝

I may be stuck in old thinking ways. But convenience at the expense of more $$$ and lesser waves is not my type. We should always/everytime ride the wave at its full potential!

4 hours ago, massew said:

Discussing with a major Malibu/Axis dealer. Going bigger boat wont equal a bigger surfwave!?. The T22 would be the best sweet spot. Going to T23 or A24 wont be significant. Compared to my 2012 21 Vride. The difference will be in the newly overhaul hull to better work with surfgate. There should be a difference in shape and lenght. If putting too much weight surf gate become too much under water and over wash the surf wave. 

Anybody have feedback on this? Recent T22 -> T23 -> A24 ? surfwave difference.

Its almost to a point where the surface gate should be adjustable in height?! Anybody have tried puting a 2-3inch add on on top? some kind of aluminum piece?Just saying...🤗😝

I may be stuck in old thinking ways. But convenience at the expense of more $$$ and lesser waves is not my type. We should always/everytime ride the wave at its full potential!

Having demoed the 2019 T22, T23 and A24, as well having a little bit of time behind the latest 23 and 25 LSVs, the old adage of “there’s no replacement for displacement” is as true as ever. Maybe the salesperson is trying to work within your budget but otherwise their statement is just not what you’ll see in reality. Especially if they know how to set up each of their boats.

The T22 has a fine wave and I’d be happy with it. But it definitely gets better with the bigger boats. I realize you’re only talking Axis but the T22 and 25 LSV are night and day different for wave size and length.

As for surfgate effectiveness, the issues come when all the weight is stacked at the rear of the boat, putting the boat out of balance. However, the typical complaint we hear in that situation is having trouble getting to speed, which is because the prop is angled down and trying to push the boat towards the sky, rather than forward.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, NWBU said:

Having demoed the 2019 T22, T23 and A24, as well having a little bit of time behind the latest 23 and 25 LSVs, the old adage of “there’s no replacement for displacement” is as true as ever. Maybe the salesperson is trying to work within your budget but otherwise their statement is just not what you’ll see in reality. Especially if they know how to set up each of their boats.

The T22 has a fine wave and I’d be happy with it. But it definitely gets better with the bigger boats. I realize you’re only talking Axis but the T22 and 25 LSV are night and day different for wave size and length.

As for surfgate effectiveness, the issues come when all the weight is stacked at the rear of the boat, putting the boat out of balance. However, the typical complaint we hear in that situation is having trouble getting to speed, which is because the prop is angled down and trying to push the boat towards the sky, rather than forward.

Thanks

what is your preference between T23 vs A24?

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

I doubt you could tell the difference between the waves but I’m a traditional bow guy, so would prefer the T23 for that reason.

Well ! Thats pretty much the comment I was waiting for. Somebody who demoed T22-T23-A24.

FOR SURF WAVE SIZE AND SHAPE, The A24 should not be worth the extra money then.

2 hours ago, NWBU said:

I doubt you could tell the difference between the waves but I’m a traditional bow guy, so would prefer the T23 for that reason.

so I am a traditional bow kind of guy myself. any input on the  t23 as far as gas consumption vs the a24. I see all the post about the 17" prop being a big deal on the bigger boats but wondering if the t23 is the worst of all given its size and small prop. ( right now my only big issue with my t 22 is the 42 gallon gas tank.  its annoying going to the pump all the time.!)  hopefully  the 2021 t23 will get the upgraded prop size

4 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

so I am a traditional bow kind of guy myself. any input on the  t23 as far as gas consumption vs the a24. I see all the post about the 17" prop being a big deal on the bigger boats but wondering if the t23 is the worst of all given its size and small prop. ( right now my only big issue with my t 22 is the 42 gallon gas tank.  its annoying going to the pump all the time.!)  hopefully  the 2021 t23 will get the upgraded prop size

No idea but I'm guessing the T23 also has a larger tank since the 23 LSV is ~65 gallons. 

I too read about this 17" prop and 2:1 ratio . Not sure what that mean in Surf Wave Shape perspective. Something else that seems to mean the world to others.

T23 has a 15'' vs A24 as the 17''

Just got messages on instagram from an Axis Wakesurf pro that the wake on the A24 is ''definitely'' better than the T23.

When you have the chance to invest a new boat with high money value, You dont want to miss out on the opportunity to have a better wave for a bit more investment.

So much different opinion on this matter.

But thanks a lot for everybody to help and post their thought.

I do appreciate, since I dont have the opportunity to test drive.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:13 PM, massew said:

I too read about this 17" prop and 2:1 ratio . Not sure what that mean in Surf Wave Shape perspective. Something else that seems to mean the world to others.

T23 has a 15'' vs A24 as the 17''

Just got messages on instagram from an Axis Wakesurf pro that the wake on the A24 is ''definitely'' better than the T23.

When you have the chance to invest a new boat with high money value, You dont want to miss out on the opportunity to have a better wave for a bit more investment.

So much different opinion on this matter.

But thanks a lot for everybody to help and post their thought.

I do appreciate, since I dont have the opportunity to test drive.

@massewI rode behind the A24 and T23 when i was looking to buy my 19. I really felt like the A24 had a wider wake that keeps you locked in. We also got the A24 to go out longer with still plenty of push. Initially, I was pushing hard on the T23 because of the traditional bow, which i'm huge on!!. But after driving and surfing both, the A24 made way more sense. Plus the bow size is noticeably different. I have also upgraded to an 18" prop after doing some prop testing and spending a significant amount of time talking with ACME directly. We swapped out the PnP bags for 850s and threw like 300 lbs upfront. The thing is a beast!! Even with just a crew of 4 we get a solid wave. 

If you have any specific questions - happy to answer them!! Good luck

14 hours ago, Arbie44 said:

@massewI rode behind the A24 and T23 when i was looking to buy my 19. I really felt like the A24 had a wider wake that keeps you locked in. We also got the A24 to go out longer with still plenty of push. Initially, I was pushing hard on the T23 because of the traditional bow, which i'm huge on!!. But after driving and surfing both, the A24 made way more sense. Plus the bow size is noticeably different. I have also upgraded to an 18" prop after doing some prop testing and spending a significant amount of time talking with ACME directly. We swapped out the PnP bags for 850s and threw like 300 lbs upfront. The thing is a beast!! Even with just a crew of 4 we get a solid wave. 

If you have any specific questions - happy to answer them!! Good luck

Thanks a lot for this feedback! 300lbd up front on seats including front pnp underseat?

On 9/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, Raleigh said:

That sounds just about perfect to me. That 200# of lead seems like a reasonable amount without overweighting the boat for trailering. 

I really want the A24 but am second guessing myself with all the 23LSV  fanboys out there and resale potential. Your A24 comments have been very helpful. 

What engine are you working with? I’m debating M6 or M5. With the lift setting on the wedge I’m currently leaning M5 but still debating.

I’ll probably have 2-4 people on the boat regularly and up to 8 at rare times so it seems like a similar setup. I just want the extra space when needed and I like riding in the bow when others drive so the a24 legroom is nice.

No doubt the 23 LSV is a great option as well.  I'm running the 409, of course it has the 2-1 and 17" prop.  

I had a 13 LSV w Surfgate and had four LCD screens go out on me...  I purposely wanted to get back to an analog environment and was not as concerned with a Mercedes-style interior.  But certainly can see the appeal to the LSV, no question there.  Probably similar wave and nicer finish out.

A24 for sure over the T23. The 17" prop and 2:1 tranny makes a huge difference. My buddy ordered the A24 with the m6, and my A22 will have the m5. 

As with all of these boats, if you get the big pnp, you will NEED to run more bow weight, or fill you rear bags 1/2 way. 

Who ever said you dont want the gates that deep is right, but you can always run more nose weight to bring them out after a certain point. 

We run approx 28 x 50 lead bags on top of stock and pnp for wake, but if you are only surfing you should have no isse with 1/3-1/2 that much lead or extra weight. This is in a A24 with the 450.

10 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

A24 for sure over the T23. The 17" prop and 2:1 tranny makes a huge difference. My buddy ordered the A24 with the m6, and my A22 will have the m5. 

As with all of these boats, if you get the big pnp, you will NEED to run more bow weight, or fill you rear bags 1/2 way. 

Who ever said you dont want the gates that deep is right, but you can always run more nose weight to bring them out after a certain point. 

We run approx 28 x 50 lead bags on top of stock and pnp for wake, but if you are only surfing you should have no isse with 1/3-1/2 that much lead or extra weight. This is in a A24 with the 450.

Do you add this much weight in the A22? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 6:48 AM, massew said:

Thanks a lot for this feedback! 300lbd up front on seats including front pnp underseat?

Yes sir! Plus we put our cooler in the front storage as well to help put some more weight up. I just laid down some slip stuff so it doesn't move around. 

• Like 2

A24 all the way.  I can go with my 2 daughters, slam the tanks, set the wedge and the wave will push my 230 pound fat*** all day.  Let me say it again “A24”.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:28 AM, smuurph84 said:

Kinda silly just because of walk thru windshields that my ‘14 a20 has a 48 gallon tank snd these bigger newer boats have less ???

Edited by granddaddy55

Yeah, that's one of my biggest complaints about our '19 A22. The fuel tank is marketed as 48 gallons but it's for sure only 42 gallons. CARB says it's only 42 gallons as well. Not sure why they market it as 48. But then the '19 T22 actually got the 48 that it's marketed to have (at least according to CARB) . Bizarre. 6 gallons isn't a huge deal but it would be nice.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, formerathlete said:

Yeah, that's one of my biggest complaints about our '19 A22. The fuel tank is marketed as 48 gallons but it's for sure only 42 gallons. CARB says it's only 42 gallons as well. Not sure why they market it as 48. But then the '19 T22 actually got the 48 that it's marketed to have (at least according to CARB) . Bizarre. 6 gallons isn't a huge deal but it would be nice.

If you remove the vdrive cover the tank should be visible. My a20 is marked 42 on it. Have you checked that?

Edited by onewake09
1 hour ago, onewake09 said:

If you remove the vdrive cover the tank should be visible. My a20 is marked 42 on it. Have you checked that?

Not yet but I should just to make sure. I'm almost positive it's 42, though. When the gauge is reading 1/2 full, I'm lucky to get 18-19 gallons into it to fill it. I'd imagine that number would be quite a bit higher if it was a 48.

Edited by formerathlete
17 hours ago, formerathlete said:

Not yet but I should just to make sure. I'm almost positive it's 42, though. When the gauge is reading 1/2 full, I'm lucky to get 18-19 gallons into it to fill it. I'd imagine that number would be quite a bit higher if it was a 48.

I can only put 30-32 gallons in my boat when the fuel light comes on and the gauge reads damn near E. 

On 10/16/2019 at 6:44 PM, formerathlete said:

I have a 48 on a ‘14 and at half full it will take 23 gallons, but at empty only 34-37,  I have 10-12 gallons left for two hours surfing when empty 

On 10/16/2019 at 5:20 PM, onewake09 said:

Where is the marking?, it has never stood out to me when cover is off frequently to wipe down snd vacuum in there 

This site compares many Malibu and Axis models to other brands. It is interesting that the 22 LSV and A22 have the same wave and the 23 LSV and T23 have the same wave in these tests.

https://www.guinnpartners.com/boat-testing/

Compare the 24 MXZ (A24 proxy) to the T23 and here you go: same exact wave height, length, and pocket. 

On 10/20/2019 at 8:54 AM, Raleigh said:

This site compares many Malibu and Axis models to other brands. It is interesting that the 22 LSV and A22 have the same wave and the 23 LSV and T23 have the same wave in these tests.

https://www.guinnpartners.com/boat-testing/

Compare the 24 MXZ (A24 proxy) to the T23 and here you go: same exact wave height, length, and pocket. 

I know when riding other boats, the PUSH or feel of the wave can be very different even though they look fairly similar. Just a word for the wise, looks arent everything. Bigger boats (bigger displacement) gives added push in general

• Like 2