Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Boat Wake Surf Comparison

jjhoops22

Hey all,

Hoping you can help provide some insight for me as I begin my search for a new boat. I’ll start by saying I had an 06 21’ VLX that I sold in 2013 and this would be the first boat since that one. We have really gotten into surfing over the past few years when our on the lake with friends and family and are looking for a boat that has a superb wake for surfing along with plenty of room for friends.

We unfotunately can not afford many of the brand new boats from Malibu (budget less than $95K) and are presented with a few options. Should we consider a brand new 21’ VLX, 21’ MLX or pursue a slightly used 2016-2018 23’ LSV or 22’ MXZ? Wake performance is obviously really important to us, but so depreciation curves and maximizing the value of boat for the $.

We of course plan to demo each of these and see for ourselves but would love to get your thoughts as well all. Thank you in advance!

Edited by jjhoops22

Surf wake on the 25 lsv is amazing, and you can absolutely find a nice 2016 model under that budget. The 23 lsv is also great, a little less room inside, but still a great wake, i had 2018 and 2019 models under that budget a month or so ago. If you like the bigger bow, the mxz series is great too, but not everyone's style. 

I agree with @asnowman, 25 LSV would be my first choice if I could find one and have the space for it. A close second would be the 23 LSV. You will like the additional space and wave over the 21 vlx. I bet you could get a left over 23 LSV for close to that with full warranty or a 2018 with four years left on warranty.