Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Let's see the monster wave shots of the year ... I'll start with this:

Imracin68j

13 hours ago, potterm said:

Yes vertically.  The M235 puts out a much bigger, steeper, and longer wave than the 23 LSV.  

F9831C35-284B-4AED-A4C3-B2067EBAB5D2.jpeg

This was your 23 LSV wave? What year was your LSV and how tall are you and bodyweight?

4 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

This was your 23 LSV wave? What year was your LSV and how tall are you and bodyweight?

5 ft 11 inch and 180lbs.  2015 23 LSV with full plug and play and 250lbs of lead in the bow.   Surfing behind a 23 lsv is okay; however, it’s just not in the same league as the M235.   If you want the best surf wave from Malibu go M series.  It just depends how picky your surfers are if it’s worth the upgrade.

1 hour ago, potterm said:

5 ft 11 inch and 180lbs.  2015 23 LSV with full plug and play and 250lbs of lead in the bow.   Surfing behind a 23 lsv is okay; however, it’s just not in the same league as the M235.   If you want the best surf wave from Malibu go M series.  It just depends how picky your surfers are if it’s worth the upgrade.

I wanted to do a custom order for this boat as I’ve never done one before and doing an M240 up here in Canada with poor exchange rate and tax would run me over $300,000k. The new 2020 should surf a bit better than your 2015 as upgrades have been done since that year I believe. Next boat will be a M240 when I outgrow the LSV. 

ahopkins22LSV

@2020LSV23 there is no denying the M series wave is very very good and the best of the malibu lineup. That said the 23 LSV wave is very very good too. Don’t worry about your purchase at all. It’s a great wave, look up @NWBU’s setup as he has his the past two years DIALED. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I think you'd be lucky to get it for $300K CAD.  Don't forget the Liberal Luxury Tax - 10%  And Horgan's share.  And GST.

I was not aware the Luxury tax was implemented already?

26 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

I was not aware the Luxury tax was implemented already?

It is as good as done with the first sitting of the House  next week.  Would not surprise me if it was retroactive.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

It is as good as done with the first sitting of the House  next week.  Would not surprise me if it was retroactive.

Lets hope its delayed. Our spray date is December 5th so I am hoping we have boat by January if thats possible? Then hope to avoid that extra tax.

Not excited to be potentially paying almost $37K in taxes.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, Imracin68j said:

2008 VLX
900 LR 700RR 400 locker 800 nose.  Wedge down + 2 clicks up.  swell suck gate.  

Rider height: 5/10  - Lake: Pine Flat, CA. - Prop: 2315

69227733-10156722226607106-3829925451418

Ok, that got my attention.

I have the same boat running the same prop.

Are your built in ballast filled and if yes, do your stated weights include the built in ballast?

Where is your suck gate attached? Do you have any pictures of where it is attached?

Thanks

bob

• 5 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 1:11 AM, Imracin68j said:

That’s my daughter. She is 5 foot 10.  For wave reference.  She’s 13 years old.  

Here's her mom, my wife.  10/10.  nic1.jpg

you aint lying,    12/10

• 3 months later...

I've been running my '17 22MXZ with 1300 lb PnP and 200 lb of lead in the nose for 2 seasons.

The wake was decent, but I just felt that this boat should be capable of better.  The pocket had nice push, but the back of the wave had nothing.  As soon as we fell out of the pocket, we went down. I just felt this hull should be capable of a taller, longer wave, with some push behind the pocket. 

I wanted to try additional weight, but didn't want to buy a bunch of lead or water bags only to find it didn't help and be out the money. So, I was looking around my garage, and saw a bunch of these 27 gallon, plastic totes that my wife stores things in. I put 2 of them in the cockpit, and 1 in the nose, and filled them to about 25 gallons each, using a cheap bilge pump. 

We fine tuned the wave with the wedge and speed. "Fatboy" likes a shorter pocket with more push, I, "Slim," like a longer wave and don't mind working a bit to move forward into the pocket. 

I'm happy with the result. We finally have some solid push from the back of the wave, along with a nice, long pocket. These are just some snapshots from the driver's seat. For some reason, the wave doesn't look as clean in the images as in real life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

20200818-143518.jpg

20200816-153539.jpg

20200816-153521.jpg

For reference, "Fatboy," is 6 foot tall and over 200 lb. He is riding my 15-year-old son's 48" Phase5 Matrix.  He is casually working his way out of the back of the pocket. I don't have any images with him down in the flat, unfortunately. 

20200816-173216.jpg

This was our first test with all 75 gallons (600+ lb in the nose) (plus the 200 pounds of lead). We found that we could put 2 of the 3 totes in the cockpit without significant changes to the wave.  

In reflecting on why we need this much ballast, it makes sense that a boat that is designed to carry 15 people would need extra ballast when carrying 3 adults, a teen, and a kid. 

Edited by bigskydoc

Looks good. Those totes will never drink your beer or hog riding time either.  

The problem with this is you will never want to go back.  I find myself always chasing the best wave I've ever had. 

Wakemakers has good sales in the winter and if you are a supporter here you get a 10% code.

Hahaha.  You nailed it.  After we did the first tote test, we were headed back to the lake, and the wife asked if we could do without the totes this time.  My son said, sure, it would probably be ok.  I said, sure, but I'm tossing the totes in the truck, "just in case."

After his first set, he got in the boat and said, "sorry mom, but let's get those totes and fill em up."

I've never seen my wife agree to spending money on the boat so fast as she did when I said we could get rid of the totes if we bought another 600 pounds of lead.  Now I'm thinking of tossing the totes back in to see what happens with 1200 pounds of ballast.  LOL

And yes, it's probably time I became a supporter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have paid for my subscription many times over through the discounts and you get a decal, everyone loves stickers. 

My wife also grumbles about the money hole in the boat but when she see a big improvement she gets over it pretty quick.  I bought her a new wakeboard this year and she was not happy on what I spent until the first time she rode it.  She is riding better than she has in five years.  No one has mentioned the price again.

If you can wait until winter Leadwake usually has a little better deal then.

Sadly we just sold our boat.

But this was me 6’1 and 235 pounds 

2020 23 LSV 

800 pounds of lead.

580 X 2 wake maker bags in lockers full

no wedge.

No crew just me and wife 

17F57D12-9D17-46AC-BD26-B12C3880C430.jpeg

C0AFD4FD-2CA7-4544-880D-7A701E3B13DF.jpeg

Edited by 2020LSV23
12 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Sadly we just sold our boat.

But this was me 6’1 and 235 pounds 

2020 23 LSV 

800 pounds of lead.

580 X 2 wake maker bags in lockers full

no wedge.

No crew just me and wife 

17F57D12-9D17-46AC-BD26-B12C3880C430.jpeg

C0AFD4FD-2CA7-4544-880D-7A701E3B13DF.jpeg

With your choice of screen name, you're kindof pigeonholed as to what your next boat should be...  :)

On 8/25/2020 at 9:38 PM, wakesonthesnake said:

My wife also grumbles about the money hole in the boat but when she see a big improvement she gets over it pretty quick.  I bought her a new wakeboard this year and she was not happy on what I spent until the first time she rode it.  She is riding better than she has in five years.  No one has mentioned the price again.

It's funny how that works. I bought a used surfboard 2 summers ago for $100 and last year traded it for a newer board that was better for our smaller direct drive wave. Even though the new board was more than twice the price she was grumbling that I should spend my time doing better things and not always searching for new boat stuff. The next weekend she surfed on the new board and fell in love with it. "This is sooo much better than that old board!" hahah. I havn't heard any grumbling since 

• Like 1