Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

phase 5 Panther

LucasC

On 9/18/2019 at 9:25 AM, LucasC said:

Looking to add a new board , The Panther looks interesting has anyone had any experience . thanks

I had a 56" Panther this summer.   It IS a VERY interesting board.   Very responsive, maybe even a bit squirrely.   Fast.    Definitely a more advanced board, I bought it at the boat show last January with intent to get a 360 done this summer, and then have a board that we could grow into with more advanced tricks.  I was thinking the straps would help me get around on the 360.   It accelerates very fast, and it you THINK spin, it does spin, so easily I did not need the straps to spin.  In fact, it spins so well that I was getting 540's before I would crash and burn.    I personally did not try it with the straps, as I was trying to get the 360 done before I took the next step, and candidly, I probably needed to improve my form even more before I could REALLY take advantage of the straps.   But I loved the board even without the straps.   I have three boards on the boat, a Hyperlite Broadcast (the "boat board", one that I use to teach new surfers).   The next is  Phase 5 Model X, which is our intermediate board, which quickly became my go to board for everyday riding.   The Panther was the most aggressive board, with tons of room to grow.

Unfortunately, my Panther had a defect out of the wrapper, the traction pad was mounted about a half inch too far back - which covered the holes for both the fin and the straps).   Our dealer filed a warranty claim, and made some temporary mods... and then something happened with the claim... weeks passed, and when we followed up, Phase Five no longer had a Panther to replace it with.     The took care of us by offering to either repair the Panther, or replace it with an alternate board that they had in stock.   I opted for the latter, and chose a Diamond Turbo 54.      

I would describe the Diamond as a board between the Model X and the Panther but with no straps of course.    With all fins attached, it is fast, and responsive, not as squirelly as the Panther was, but hooks up a bit better coming out of a spin (at least at my proficiency level).    By my second ride, it was my favorite board on the boat nudging out the Model X, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Model X.    I also am taken with the traction pad on the Diamond... It has a different feel, seems to grip really well, but feels a little harder.   For me (big guy, 230ish), both the Model X and the Diamond were initially prone to burying the nose, but you quickly get used to either... each board seems to need a slightly different weight distribution, and as a consequence, different performance.   I never landed a 360 this year (I can get through the spin, but tend to fall off the back of the wave upon completion).     The Panther would spin FAST, and on a dime, but I had trouble controlling it coming out of the spin... me, not the board.   My early experience (maybe four sessions?) with the Diamond is that it spins almost as fast as the Panther, but hooks up on the wave upon completion, but that was causing me to lose my balance, and I was falling off the back of the board.  Just a matter of getting used to it.

Net, I think if you are looking to get into advanced tricks, the Panther is a winner...  The straps give you something to grow into in  BIG way.   If you are looking for an advanced intermediate board the Diamond Turbo is a great board.   For a second board, (intermediate) the Model X was a spectacular choice. I am also finding that the Model X is a decent learning board for beginners... especially for those who are smaller/lighter than me.   The broadcast is still a great cruiser board, and beginner board for a lot of my crew.

Thanks for the detailed response , I am currently using the Matrix and the  Hammerhead , Love the Matrix but struggle to get along with the hammerhead , I Have ridden on my buddys diamond turbo and really like that . Thanks Dan