Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No spark

malibuowner

2001 response. 5.7 Indmar monsoon

bypassed kill switch years ago. Replaced coil, cap and rotor. Checked fuses  

Driving at approximately 30 mph and boat just died. Won’t start now. 

What am I missing?

Double checked the kill switch. Also read through the NO Start thread but will read it again. Just hoping for something I missed. Maybe a hidden relay or something like that. 

Mine did that this summer too, ended up being the ECM relay.  The week prior the Fuel pump relay went bad.   Check that the 3 relays are still good, Fuel pump, starter, and ECM.  If it's cranking over then the starter relay is still good, if you hear the fuel pump whine at key up it's still good.  Could be the ECM relay then.  Swap them around and see if the symptoms change as you move them.

16 minutes ago, malibuowner said:

Swapped all the relays. Cannon connector was inspected and looks good. Still no spark. 🤬

It's always a good idea to spread the male contacts gently to make sure they make a good connection.  Looks good and is good aren't always the same on connectors.

Verify 12V to the ECM with key on.  Does the fuel pump prime at key on?  

Ground the oil sensor.

14 minutes ago, justgary said:

It's always a good idea to spread the male contacts gently to make sure they make a good connection.  Looks good and is good aren't always the same on connectors.

Verify 12V to the ECM with key on.  Does the fuel pump prime at key on?  

Ground the oil sensor.

I spread the male contacts. How do I ground the sensor

1 hour ago, malibuowner said:

I spread the male contacts. How do I ground the sensor

This is from memory, but I think the sensor is normally closed.  Literally ground the wire at the oil pressure sensor that goes to the ecm.  If the fuel pump is priming, skip this.

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2019 at 3:16 PM, malibuowner said:

Problem solved. It was the Ignition Control Module (under the rotar)

How did you test/diagnose that it was the control module?