Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Payload capacity question

psb0424

I’m taking delivery on a new 2019 23 LSV this weekend and now need a tow vehicle (yes, I realize I may have the cart before the horse but I just couldn’t help myself!).  My question is, when choosing a tow vehicle, is it more important to focus on the payload capacity of the vehicle and then calculate the total weight of the expected cargo (passengers, tongue weight of boat, boat fuel, vehicle fuel, and general cargo) to ensure all of that is within the payload capacity as compared to the towing capacity of a vehicle?  

Would prefer to go with a standard size SUV like a Chevy Tahoe as opposed to something like a 1/2 ton truck.  Payload capacity is about 1,700 pounds but I’m not sure if that is enough.  Suggestions and comments are appreciated!

You’ll get a ton of opinions on what you should do. But seeing how you are going to buy a SUV specifically to tow, I’d recommend the new Ford Expedition with the max tow package. I believe it can tow close to 3,000 pounds more than the Tahoe/Yukon. 

The weight on these really adds up. The 23 is 5500 pounds dry. So with gear and fuel, say 6000 pounds. Trailer is another 1500+ pounds. Add family, coolers, etc...go for the SUV with the best towing available. 

• Like 1

Expedition has the most towing capacity and I believe payload.  The Max Tow has a tow rating of 9200 pounds, I think it is about 1000 more than the GM's.

You will be close on payload.  Tongue weight will be around 700 pounds, leaving less than 1000 for everything else (if that is what you care about).

• Like 1

If the manufacturers are using j2807 for SUV's (I think some are and some aren't), here is a pretty good summary of what goes into towing capacity plus the assumptions (there's probably been a few revisions since the article):

https://jalopnik.com/what-is-sae-j2807-what-does-it-mean-for-trucks-1593305929

Payload capacity (or carrying capacity) is another independent weight limit.  It is a good practice to make sure your tow rig can both tow the trailer's weight under j2807 and also independently carry the weight you intend to load in the vehicle and on the hitch (as you pointed out, this includes both tongue weight and cargo and passengers, etc.) 

Edited by jjackkrash

If you go gm, make sure it has the 10 speed and 6.2 l engine. My 17 yukon xl denali has the 8 speed, and it just isnt right, and we just turned 25k miles last week. I drove a loaner 19 denali xl, totally different animal. Going to test he warranty on ours this weekend when we tow the 25lsv home.

I have never cared for ford products, but this issue has me ready to give one a try.

It’s nearly impossible to stay within all the weight ratings when you have a bigger boat and want a full size SUV. 

Im almost positive that GM still only rates their hitch to 5000 pounds if you’re not weight distribution. I know that the Expedition is 6200 without weight distribution. 

14 hours ago, RyanB said:

It’s nearly impossible to stay within all the weight ratings when you have a bigger boat and want a full size SUV. 

Im almost positive that GM still only rates their hitch to 5000 pounds if you’re not weight distribution. I know that the Expedition is 6200 without weight distribution. 

I thought the newer GM SUV's got the same hitch as the newer trucks.  My truck's is 12000lbs, no WD requirement.

Thanks, everyone. I’m coming to the conclusion that a Tahoe or comparable SUV likely isn’t the best choice, particularly when we tow up to the mountains. I’m now heading in the direction of late model used F150 or Silverado 1500. Appreciate the comments. 

Consider the Ram 1500, IMO its the best interior for 2019, very comfortable and smooth. With tonneau cover I can comfortably take our family of 4 away for a weekend and have plenty of room the extras required. Nice large crew cab with lots of room. My 2019 with 5.7 engine/8-speed trans  & 3.92 gears, 4x4 crew cab short bed Laramie....has 11,500 towing and 1,540 payload. Bigger brakes, etc. Handles my 24ft boat very well and WAY better than a 2016 Chevy 1500 with max tow and the 5.3 engine. I didn't get air suspension on my Ram but am sure it would be even better with that option. I did install the Timbren bump stops and that keeps it from sagging tho mine only sagged 2" max anyway at rest. My boat/trailer combo is pushing 8000lbs.

Once you add the 800-1000lbs. of tongue weight of the boat, 4 euro-size 150 lbs. people, and a hitch, you are out of payload capacity for any more gear on the Ram.  My personal preference would be at least a 3/4 ton for that size boat especially if you want to bring a family and load any other gear in the bed of the truck.    (I know my retrax pro tonneau cover weighed over 100 lbs. installed as well; installed items also take away from payload capacity).  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 2 weeks later...

Yikes! This is making me second guess towing an A24 or 23LSV with my Suburban. Going to a 2500 truck seems like overkill but I am starting to believe. 

On 9/18/2019 at 8:33 PM, Nitrousbird said:

I thought the newer GM SUV's got the same hitch as the newer trucks.  My truck's is 12000lbs, no WD requirement.

Hey, what package do you have that gets to these numbers?  My dad is looking at 1/2 tons, and it looks to me like the 5.3s are all 9000k (at least the '19s we have shopped on the lot).  Do you need the 6.2l to get to 12k lbs. if you know?

I have a 3/4 ton diesel and a 1/2 ton silverado with 6.2/10 speed trans and upgraded to 10 ply tires. For long trips you will always see the boat behind the 3/4 ton. I have had some close calls where someone pulled out in front of me and have had to get on the brakes hard. My trailer brakes work perfectly but the boat will still push the tow vehicle under hard braking and the bigger truck doesn't feel like it is on the edge of control when this happens. I towed several times behind our Yukon Denali and felt like I had to stress over the vehicle straining and plan farther ahead than normal for traffic on the road. My opinions are not about brands since I have had the same boat since 2009 and it has been towed with other brands of vehicles. Just because a vehicle might be rated to tow it doesn't mean it or the driver will like it, especially for long trips. I use my Polaris ranger to move my boat in and out of my shop, it handles it just fine for that. I put a bed cover on my trucks, they have more room for luggage and gear than the Yukon had.

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

Hey, what package do you have that gets to these numbers?  My dad is looking at 1/2 tons, and it looks to me like the 5.3s are all 9000k (at least the '19s we have shopped on the lot).  Do you need the 6.2l to get to 12k lbs. if you know?

I was talking about the hitch itself, which is the same regardless of package.

On the '14-18 trucks, you needed the 6.2L + Max Tow to get the 11,900 on the crew cab, short bed 4x4.  The numbers change slightly if long bed, double cab, 2wd, etc.  I think it is the same on the T1 ('19+) series trucks - it should be as the trucks and drivetrains are similar.

There were not any Max Tow 6.2L trucks on lots when I bought my '18, as I would have preferred that.  So I went with a Z71 suspension package instead.  Max tow only gets you:
- Different mirrors.  Those mirrors suck to retrofit on SLE and lower trucks, SLT and Denali's are much easier.  Mine is a SLT (no max tow on a Denali)
- SLIGHTLY different radiator.  From testing, the improvement is not measurable = worthless
- Garbage shocks.  The early K series Z71 shocks also sucks, the later ones were better.  The Max Tow shocks are just garbage regardless.
- Stiffer rear leaf springs - cheap/easy retrofit, though airbags are better
- 3.42 (instead of 3.23) gearing in the 6.2L (at least '15+, not sure on the 6-speed 2014 models).  5.3 got 3.73's for the 6-speed and I don't think any change for the 8-speed, but not positive on that

ahopkins22LSV
12 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

@Nitrousbird, thanks, that was very helpful.  

For reference:

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/articles/truck-life/trailering-and-towing-guide/02-pdfs/2019-silverado-1500-trailboss-trailering-chart.pdf

Hopefully the PDF link works, if not use this link and download the guide.

Also, as @Raleigh mentioned it is dependent per VIN. Your dealer can look it up for the VIN of the truck you guys are looking at.