Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 21' MLX vs. VLX

smb

They are very very similar. The MLX is pickle fork and the VLX is traditional bow. That’s the biggest difference and the choice between that is all personal preference. I personally like the look and layout of the VLX better. 

13 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@IXFE I did not know that! Agreed though, that is a significant difference though. 

Yeah, it’s pretty easy to see when they are side by side like in that pic I posted. Between the bigger bow and deeper cockpit, the MLX just feels like a more substantial boat. I think it weights 4,000 lbs, which is I recall is 500 lbs more than a VLX. 

• Like 2

I purchased that blue MLX above in 2018 at the Dallas boat show. It’s been a great boat, almost 300 hours. We regularly have 4-8 people with us and it’s size is perfect.  My only complaint was how loud the engine was at surf speed, had the dealer install a surf pipe over winter and it’s much quieter. The MLX weighs 4,500lbs, 500lbs more then the VLX. Let me know if you have specific questions, happy to answer them. 

I have a 19 MLX I bought last year around this time.  We've put 140 hours on it and love it.  My wife and I only have one kid (and dog) so the size is great, and the bow seems roomy enough, although i've never been in a VLX.  The wave seems pretty much the same as our friends 22MXZ.  I think the main differences between the 18 and the 19 would be the newer captains chair and the engine (ford to GM).  

Best boat I've ever owned, love it.  

@IXFE @ahopkinsVTX @tex599

Thanks- that helps!  Appreciate the input. Change is hard- After 20 years old girl is due for an upgrade. We have the next generation (9 & 10yr olds) coming up- we have to practically swamp our current boat (3 sacks, 1500lbs lead and a velcro wedge) to get a good surf. But we LOVE the VLX wake for wakeboarding! 

Edited by smb