Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat won't start - Monsoon 340

Hey guys,  

Boat won't start.  Friday and Saturday, noticed boat was having a little bit of trouble starting, would take 4-5 seconds vs 1-2 seconds, but would still start and run no problem.  Sunday, boat wouldn't start.  Turn the key everything sounds normal but will not start.  Checked fuel pump, works.  Checked all the spark plugs and the spark plug wires, they all looked quite good and tested all the wires for spark, all good. Checked the air intake, and that all appeared to be working correctly.  Full tank of gas.on the last start attempt, after checking everything above, 3 codes popped up:

EtcTps1Range
SPN 65602
Undefined FMI Diag Code
FMI 31

======

EtcTps2Range
SPN 65601
Undefined FMI Diag Code
FMI 31

========

MapSensor
SPN 106
Data Valid But below normal range
FMI1

====

Not 100% sure what to make of these, I looked up the codes but the exact ones aren't listed as far as I can tell.  
The only thing I can think of is changing out the sparkplugs for new ones but, I don't feel like that's the route cause.  Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2008 23 LSV
Monsoon 340
428 Hours

I

It's maybe telling you that you have poor connections with the throttle sensor and the manifold pressure sensor.  Check around the throttle body and pull apart every connector you can find, carefully inspect for bent or pushed pins, then reconnect.  If you have contact cleaner, use that also. 

You might want to check the big connectors at the ecm also. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I figured out why the codes popped up, in my haphazard diagnosing, I cranked the engine with all those sensors disconnected, that was when they all showed up, so not terribly worried about those.  Engine would occasionally turn over, but 95% of the time would just crank endlessly.  Replaced all the sparkplugs, which were due to be replaced anyways, no change.  Checked the spark again when I did this, and now am suspecting weak spark to be the culprit.  But I don't want to just start pulling parts off and replacing them based on a hunch, so dropped it off at the dealer today.  Will post here what they say.  Hoping its just the distributor cap and nothing more serious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...