Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Double Check my Winterization, 93 Sunsetter

j.robinson389

My family has owned the boat (93 Euro f3 Sunsetter with Mercruiser 350 Mag Tournament Ski)) for 7 Winters and never a problem with winterization until this past winter.  I know what step was forgotten but after all the time and money we spent to swap in a new long block I want one of you experts to double check what I did this year.

1. Remove the plug in the lower engine block. (One port, one starboard)

2. Remove the hose going into the bottom of exhaust manifold (One port, one starboard)

3. Remove the lower, rear plug in the exhaust riser (One port, one starboard)

4. Remove inlet and exhaust hoses from raw water pump

5.  Remove inlet (rear) hose to trans heat exchanger.  I could not get the exhaust hose loose from the trans cooler.

6. Remove water circulating pump inlet hose.

7. Removed raw water pump impeller.

8. Cranked engine over 5 or 6 revolutions 

9. Parked boat bow up and now down on boat ramp for a few seconds, since the engine is mounted on such an angle when boat is trailered.

How did I do? Did I miss anything?  The boat is in storage 250 miles away but I'll gladly drive down to correct something I missed.

Thanks in advance!

How about engine oil change and transmission fluid change?  Stabil gas treatment in the fuel tank for the winter?

Lots of good info in both of the above threads.  The links found in both discussions were helpful to me.

hope they can help you as well!

-Whitecap

Edited by Whitecap

Well done, here are a couple of additions if you want - many store boats with some RV antifreeze in case not all the water drained out, it is a good idea to fog the engine (basically oil sprayed in the carb when turning it over.  A tip - when you drain the block make sure there is no blockage by poking an ice pick through the hole to ensure no debris blocking the water coming out.

• Like 1

Not sure why I didn't get notified of the replies but I am just now seeing this.   Thanks for the re-assurance,  The notes about fuel stabilizer and oil changes, those were already completed, and I was confident in that aspect.  My worries were with the draining procedure, especially after last winter's debacle.

This site is a great resource for keeping these older boats running their best.  I have another question regarding the choke/choke adjustments on the Weber 4 barrel that's on this boat, I will start a new thread for that.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, j.robinson389 said:

9. Parked boat bow up and now down on boat ramp for a few seconds, since the engine is mounted on such an angle when boat is trailered.

Always a good idea with a direct drive.  I even do it with a v-drive.