Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

94 Flightcraft versus Echelon

TimVanDyk

I’m Getting ready to buy my first Malibu. There is a 94 echelon with 300 hours has a wedge. That’s $9000. There’s a 94 flight Craft for the barefoot bar and perfect pass or $7400. I’m going to be doing to being and some basic wakeboarding just wondering what you would be better

Tubing some bare footing. Would like to try some wake surfing too. 

The flightcraft has digital pro perfect pass is a big plus. Also had a barefoot bar. I suppose I could always add the wedge myself. And it’s almost $2000 cheaper 

Not sure you can add a Wedge to the FC - and it will be tought to get the mounting bracket.  I am not sure the transom will handle it.  And neither of the boats will be much for wakesurfing or not.  We can get a reasonable wake on out 99 RLX but that is a full crew, three sacks and a Wedge.

Fwiw, the wake table on a flightcraft is a little more firm than on an eschelon. I understand its a little more favorable for footing, but its not as nice to ski behind, just my opinion. Also, pretty sure you can't add a wedge on a flightcraft.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, TimVanDyk said:

I’m Getting ready to buy my first Malibu. There is a 94 echelon with 300 hours has a wedge. That’s $9000. There’s a 94 flight Craft for the barefoot bar and perfect pass or $7400. I’m going to be doing to being and some basic wakeboarding just wondering what you would be better

Go with the Echelon, if you are wakeboarding the wedge will make a huge difference.  It will be fine for footing too.  Barefoot booms are like $400.  Flightcrafts are not "wedge approved"....it might work but it might not.

Are you trailering or will it be kept on a lift?  Consider trailer conditions as well when making your decisions (cost of tires, bunks, degradation due to rust, etc.).

@TimVanDyk - both are great boats for their target market and at that time neither was aimed at big wake sports.  The Echelon would be the better compromise when adding weight and as noted is a great footing boat and a much better slalom machine v. the Flightcraft.  Neither are designed for a wedge, transom thickness was changed when Malibu introduced the wedge although wedges have been successfully added to older Echelons.  Not trying to dissuade you from your purchase, but if wake / surf sports are primary neither are really the best option.  If footing and slalom are priority, the Echelon is an excellent option and if footing only the Flighty.  At this time of year in the northern states, some great deals should start popping up.  Note - I am not qualified to comment on wake / surf for either but IMO my Echy wake w/o ballast is quite lame.