Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My 1st Wakeboard Boat need advice

Jjones1

Hello I was hoping to get some advice. I was born and raised on the lake and enjoy a variety of water sports. I'm in my late forties and have always owned a Stern Drive. I'm wanting to upgrade to a V-drive family boat. Would love to learn to surf as I love wakeboarding. Also want to teach my grandkids watersports and they will tube. I am currently looking at a 2001 Centurion Avalanche with the Deep V.Or a 2001 Malibu Wakesetter. Both have around 700 hours. Both are listed at same price. I know the Centurion has perfect pass and some type of hydraulic fin (cant recall what its called) . Unsure of all the options on the Malibu. As I said this will be my first wakeboard boat but I have many many years  boating  experience.. any advice would be appreciated. There is also a 2001 Sky Supreme that would be a possibility as well.Thank u!

V-Drives handle much differently that I/O's. Whatever you decide to get. Go out and drive it, dock it, trailer it multiple times. Don't get in a hurry, don't get upset when it doesn't steer in reverse. Enjoy learning it! It is a blast and a b**** all in one! You will never go back my friend! 

I love the early 2000 boats. I almost bought my original ‘01 Wakesetter back this summer. I missed it that much.  “Features” aren’t really something you get on boats that old. Back then we added everything after market. It was all bolt on off the shelf anyways. Perfect Pass costs a grand or so. And is a two hour job to install in the driveway. You NEED it. Don’t get hung up on that though. And newer perfect pass systems will last longer. The older ones have displays you can’t get anymore and require a completely new gauge and circuit board anyways. 

Get a suck gate for surfing. Get bags and pumps for boarding. Rear lockers, ski locker, under the bow seats. The wedge transforms the Wakesetter at that time with the right weight. That is a legitimate “feature”. 

Otherwise. Those hours are fine. Get a very good mechanic to go over your boat choices. Especially the engines. Really that’s more key.

If your interest sticks, then you can keep flipping to newer and more expensive boats. Stay under $30k for the first one though. 

20 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

I love the early 2000 boats. I almost bought my original ‘01 Wakesetter back this summer. I missed it that much.  “Features” aren’t really something you get on boats that old. Back then we added everything after market. It was all bolt on off the shelf anyways. Perfect Pass costs a grand or so. And is a two hour job to install in the driveway. You NEED it. Don’t get hung up on that though. And newer perfect pass systems will last longer. The older ones have displays you can’t get anymore and require a completely new gauge and circuit board anyways. 

Get a suck gate for surfing. Get bags and pumps for boarding. Rear lockers, ski locker, under the bow seats. The wedge transforms the Wakesetter at that time with the right weight. That is a legitimate “feature”. 

Otherwise. Those hours are fine. Get a very good mechanic to go over your boat choices. Especially the engines. Really that’s more key.

If your interest sticks, then you can keep flipping to newer and more expensive boats. Stay under $30k for the first one though. 

Thank you.Good info.Both are priced at 20k. I'm just torn as they both look to be very nice boats with good maintenance records. You mentioned that you had owned a wakesetter. Have you ever been in the Centurion Avalanche?

Yes as a matter of fact. My wife’s boss and my son’s best friends family both have one. It takes more weight to get the goofy wave I want compared to my old boat with the wedge. But it can be done with big bags or lead easy enough. 

I’d do either boat knowing I was going to spend some $ on bags and pumps. I think the wedge really helps offset some of the effort. 

Here’s an ‘01 (no diff from an ‘00) with an early surfgate copy. Bags in the bow, locker, and rear locker.  A little lead 75lb to list each way even with the gate  

And wakeboarding is great with both with the bags. I liked the ‘bu cuz I could fill a bow bag, drop the wedge, and do wake to wake easy with a mellow lip. 

Anyways, plenty of folks still riding these boats on the forum. They’ll find this thread soon enough and comment 

4 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Yes as a matter of fact. My wife’s boss and my son’s best friends family both have one. It takes more weight to get the goofy wave I want compared to my old boat with the wedge. But it can be done with big bags or lead easy enough. 

I’d do either boat knowing I was going to spend some $ on bags and pumps. I think the wedge really helps offset some of the effort. 

Here’s an ‘01 (no diff from an ‘00) with an early surfgate copy. Bags in the bow, locker, and rear locker.  A little lead 75lb to list each way even with the gate  

And wakeboarding is great with both with the bags. I liked the ‘bu cuz I could fill a bow bag, drop the wedge, and do wake to wake easy with a mellow lip. 

Anyways, plenty of folks still riding these boats on the forum. They’ll find this thread soon enough and comment 

Great Video Thank you! I'm sure it's going to take some time to figure out the whole weight thing to make a beautiful wave like that.Thx again

wake boarding leans to wake setter but surf and rough water ride lean avalanche. need more info on overall condition of each boat. coming from a 99 sunsetter to a 08 valanche was night and day. however i realize this is a malibu forum,  

I would not decide based upon if it has perfect pass or not since you can easy add it if needed or do without to start with. Use a speed app on your smart phone. Look for sure at condition like how is the vinyl interior? If a seat has a seam that is going south, or vinyl that is cracked then expect more to follow. I chose my SS vlx based upon diamond hull, and a great interior. If both brands equal that you are looking at, then test drive them and see how they handle,  check how it drives and handles, check storage, how well things work or if there are things that don’t, ergonomics, is it comfortable to you? If skiing is even a thought then take note how smoothly the wake is at 25 to 30. With the hours you mentioned it would seem both boats  were dialed into the sport that the owners enjoyed and was used with enjoyment, unless the owners just cruise. Enjoy the hunt. 

On 9/12/2019 at 6:39 PM, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

wake boarding leans to wake setter but surf and rough water ride lean avalanche. need more info on overall condition of each boat. coming from a 99 sunsetter to a 08 valanche was night and day. however i realize this is a malibu forum,  

The early 2000's vlx are the best value in entry level v drives, IMHO. They produce pro level wakeboarding wakes with the MLS and wedge. The slalom wake is decent. Freeboard isn't that deep on them, and they're not stellar in choppy water though. The fit and finish between the early 2000's Malibu will be better than other brands. I think now the other brands have closed that gap somewhat.