Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter picked up for cheap - going to need help

billybaru13

Just picked up my 1st inboard boat.  Got it for $2500 with about 1300 hours on it.  It was a trade in at a local dealer that has been sitting since 2017.  I was told it was winterized.  I figured I would start a thread where I can ask questions as they come up.

1st Question - what motor is it?  The motor serial number is - 1C972438, the boat serial number is - MB2W2224D000.  It looks like its fuel injected.  Indmar Monsoon 325?

2nd Question.  The starter is JUNK.  I tried hooking the battery right up and bypassed the bendix/solenoid and it was drawing a  ton of current.  I pulled it out of the boat and it was a solid rusty blob.  Where do you guys buy parts for these things.  I dont want to end up with some amazon Chinese

3rd question - Looking for a wiring diagram.  

Thanks in advance.

JAMG1rHHj-_91TbfzzjTdnGnjWMKiHYTvxGpPF3X7a82CRCUwht1O6wSuZUhAeFHcQRw2Fzc5xGOKRrZbnTS3TWw-3m_qnOrikSU1uTnQVTog6-z0dXbrzHcFIyEoj8qYrVd55FT-ekfo2dmiPBBcz2qYG4S-6coo3rNEoRrFuGG2HhZmzVCG6iipALXlI6mzRWSWX4u6QPnp9s0dIwlLjBd1as2IJQ_uHwH-dGm15vwwAOaAoFQOnWvlmS0QnGMO65Qx2UwcdzhiHXClynX6m1vtjEVNF3CKY6qYbqRENhVPqZj1y4jYlKaVUGnHWACWyqbQSN30CkvyU8WFerPbKGLs7xXr9fEc1pVx1VpbeSHWnT47PN8VSEwyzN5SUBl7TKIVCQDtzioO6Chu-QXCw8Q_1WX-rhNbDALXehgsWTOG1ow1jBPoVRW

Edited by Ronnie
Profanity

I'll help with a couple...

It's a LX model. 

Yep that's the 325 Monsoon. 

1300 hours is not a ton IF properly maintained.  The cover on the book tells me that might not be the case...but for the $$ you spent you might end up ahead depending how the project turns out and what your goals are.

1300 hours should be fine on the engine, they'll go past 2000 easily if maintained and the fuel injection helps that.

What won't go well and what it looks like is that it has been filled with water (drain plug left in and in the rain) which explains the green on the carpet and vinyl and rusted starter. Frankly, I'd go ahead and pull a spark plug and not be surprised if it's full of water.

Alternatively, maybe the mildew is from just sitting for a few years, which... Could mean a fuel system overhaul.

24 minutes ago, smileysteve said:

it looks like is that it has been filled with water (drain plug left in and in the rain) which explains the green on the carpet

Notice that the area under the engine box cover is just fine; has not been filled with water.  Just left out in the rain.  This would be a heckuva project, but for $2500 bucks?  Could be a steal.  To the OP:  DBelectrical for a starter.  Or bakesonline or skiboatparts. As an aside, I'd love to know if all the gauges still work.

13 hours ago, smileysteve said:

1300 hours should be fine on the engine, they'll go past 2000 easily if maintained and the fuel injection helps that.

What won't go well and what it looks like is that it has been filled with water (drain plug left in and in the rain) which explains the green on the carpet and vinyl and rusted starter. Frankly, I'd go ahead and pull a spark plug and not be surprised if it's full of water.

Alternatively, maybe the mildew is from just sitting for a few years, which... Could mean a fuel system overhaul.

I had the same thought you did when I pulled the starter out.  I quickly grabbed my spark plug wrench and pulled a couple plugs and luckily they looked perfect.  The boat was shrinkwrapped when I bought it, so hopefully the moss on the carpet was just from lasck of maintenance.

12 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Notice that the area under the engine box cover is just fine; has not been filled with water.  Just left out in the rain.  This would be a heckuva project, but for $2500 bucks?  Could be a steal.  To the OP:  DBelectrical for a starter.  Or bakesonline or skiboatparts. As an aside, I'd love to know if all the gauges still work.

Thanks for the starter info.  

Gauges were on my next round of questions.  I noticed that only the speedo seems to do anything when you turn the key on.  Here is a video.  What am I up against here?  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tdaopZhZuuuMgg797

Pretty common with the gauges. The rattle noise is normal on key up. The temp and fuel gauges don’t work because hopefully it’s just corrosion in the plug(s). There is a big plug on the engine called the cannon plug. Undo that and see what it looks like in there. If all is well there and on the back side of the gauge itself it might need a new computer, but start with the free stuff. For more information on the gauges, just search here on the forum.

Regarding the starter, make sure it's a marine starter that you get, they are made to operate in closed areas like your engine compartment without sparking and causing an explosion.  Not the same as automotive starters.  You have to have that frame of mind with all electrical components inside that engine cover.  That should be a great project boat!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Pretty common with the gauges. The rattle noise is normal on key up. The temp and fuel gauges don’t work because hopefully it’s just corrosion in the plug(s). There is a big plug on the engine called the cannon plug. Undo that and see what it looks like in there. If all is well there and on the back side of the gauge itself it might need a new computer, but start with the free stuff. For more information on the gauges, just search here on the forum.

Found the gauge info.  Doesnt look that bad at all.  Luckily I am an electrical engineer, so I would rather fix that type of stuff.

• Like 2

Regarding the fuel system.  Should I do anything to it before I try and fire it up for the 1st time?  I was planning on changing the fuel filter and running the fuel line into a fresh can of gas.  

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, billybaru13 said:

Regarding the fuel system.  Should I do anything to it before I try and fire it up for the 1st time?  I was planning on changing the fuel filter and running the fuel line into a fresh can of gas.  

I like your plan. It may have two filters, one silver high pressure about the size of a beer can just after the pump. The other is just an in-line that it sounds like you found. Don’t be troubled if you don’t find the high pressure one I’m talking about, some years don’t have one.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I like your plan. It may have two filters, one silver high pressure about the size of a beer can just after the pump. The other is just an in-line that it sounds like you found. Don’t be troubled if you don’t find the high pressure one I’m talking about, some years don’t have one.

Havent looked for any of the filters yet.  Just made and assumption that it had some ;)

Before you start it you should also put in a new water impeller, and make sure you have a fake-a-lake or have a garden hose going into the water intake hose.  There are other long term options to install a garden hose fitting inline, which I've done as well as lots of others.  Some quick internet searches will show you. With the work that you have waiting ahead of you it would probably be a good idea to make that happen, since you may be spending significant time getting the engine dialed in while it's on a trailer.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Before you start it you should also put in a new water impeller, and make sure you have a fake-a-lake or have a garden hose going into the water intake hose.  There are other long term options to install a garden hose fitting inline, which I've done as well as lots of others.  Some quick internet searches will show you. With the work that you have waiting ahead of you it would probably be a good idea to make that happen, since you may be spending significant time getting the engine dialed in while it's on a trailer.

OK, Yeah that sounds like a good idea.  Right now the cover and impeller are not installed.  They are in a bag with a couple brass plugs that I havent figured out (or looked) where they go.

36 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

this is all I get...image.png.0de0f65b5bd02258c4d54feb98d26b7d.pngand I've logged out and back in, with no luck!

They are hosted on Google.  Not sure if that helps

Edited by billybaru13
Just now, billybaru13 said:

OK, Yeah that sounds like a good idea.  Right now the cover and impeller are not installed.  They are in a bag with a couple brass plugs that I havent figured out (or looked) where they go.

Those brass plugs probably go in the hull.  Three drain plugs: one on the transom from the outside, one in the ski locker from the inside, and one bigger one near the engine (with a tee handle).  It is bigger so you can drop the oil drain hose through and drain the oil into a bucket outside the boat. 

If they are small plugs, they go in the sides of the block just above the oil pan.  They were pulled to drain the block for winter. 

• Like 1