Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crazy video of boat submarining for no reason

kylesullens

There's always a reason.

Video was posted a while ago. Running gear caught up in the course cabling when the driver ran over the buoy. Sudden stop from the anchor(s).

Edited by jk13
  • Like 2

yep what they said.  certainly crazy to watch, but underwater gear snagged one of the chains when the idiot went way off course.  I've driven tournaments in elevated winds in Hawaii and Phx and still never got off that bad running a course damn.

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • Like 2

I thought I read that it was a younger driver, I think the skiers son, and he panicked when he got that off course and threw the boat in reverse. The cables for courses are 5-6' down and most courses are set up with the buoys on surgical tubing to give with the waves and wind. I don't think the running gear got caught in the course.

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I thought I read that it was a younger driver, I think the skiers son, and he panicked when he got that off course and threw the boat in reverse. The cables for courses are 5-6' down and most courses are set up with the buoys on surgical tubing to give with the waves and wind. I don't think the running gear got caught in the course.

Most of them are, but some folks run stainless lines right from the anchor block to the balls instead of surgical tubing or bungie lines.

Edited by oldjeep
4 minutes ago, Sixball said:

The thing is you don't see any other buoys move! If they are set up like most courses I think other buoys would have moved or be out of place! 

Fixed courses - at least some of them have an anchor per ball with a cable going straight up.  No connections between any ball lines

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Most of them are, but some folks run stainless lines right from the anchor block to the balls instead of surgical tubing or bungie lines.

Never in my life have I seen a stainless line run all the way to the buoy. If you know of a course like that you should have it changed soon. That’s incredibly dangerous. 

13 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Never in my life have I seen a stainless line run all the way to the buoy. If you know of a course like that you should have it changed soon. That’s incredibly dangerous. 

Seen a couple of them - when I say straight to the buoy though I mean that there is a zip tie that the line is clipped to so that something breaks if you hook the ball.

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Fixed courses - at least some of them have an anchor per ball with a cable going straight up.  No connections between any ball lines

It does look like a place that a fixed each buoy no main line could be.  But as said still should  have safety release.  Skier does look like he has dropped off but then I would also as the driver is so far off course the skier had no reason to sty on. You would think the driver would be eating the dash and yet he is still sitting in place upright. Just looks odd.

• Like 1

that had to hurt like heck for the driver.... def the prop got caught in a line and stopped reallllllly quick.   I'm not sure if just a prop stopping could do that, my thought is it was anchored to bottom as well