Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Rope Recomendation

Lance B. Johnson

Hello all,

I am looking for a recommendation for a new surf rope.  I have had the same knotted rope since 2008 but now I seem to have developed arthritis in my hands so I am looking for one with a handle.

Here is the criteria though....I am looking for a quality rope that has some  HEFT to it.  It seems there is a lot of emphasis on ropes that float and therefor they are light.  That ISN'T what I want.  I want something with some heft so they can be easily tossed in the boat by kids or adults that aren't as strong.

1 minute ago, jwl019 said:

Hard to tell from the pic but this one looks to be lightweight?

12 minutes ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

That is the one I have, that solid white rope is the "bungee" section is what adds the heft.  It alone weighs more than the rest of the rope and handle.  However I'll have to look at mine, but I thought that bungee section was located at the tower, not the handle.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Joeprunc said:

That is the one I have, that solid white rope is the "bungee" section is what adds the heft.  It alone weighs more than the rest of the rope and handle.  However I'll have to look at mine, but I thought that bungee section was located at the tower, not the handle.

Ya, that would make a difference.  If the bulk of the weight is up by the tower it won't help with tossing the rope in.

This doesn't help you, but... I don't throw the rope in the boat any more and I discourage others from doing it too.  I like a longer rope than the old school ones.  25' ropes are too log to throw in the boat without some coiling of the rope first.  I hate seeing people coil the rope, because it just looks like a bit arm trap.  So instead of throwing  in the boat, I throw the rope on the other side of the wake, and our third is tasked with pulling it in once dropped.  Nobody has been hit in the head with a flying handle since instituting this method.

That said I think you will find that even with "light" ropes that the heaviest part of the light rope is the handle, so there's not really a problem getting the rope and handle in the boat if you throw (other than the above mentioned coiling to get within throwing distance).

27 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

This doesn't help you, but... I don't throw the rope in the boat any more and I discourage others from doing it too.  I like a longer rope than the old school ones.  25' ropes are too log to throw in the boat without some coiling of the rope first.  I hate seeing people coil the rope, because it just looks like a bit arm trap.  So instead of throwing  in the boat, I throw the rope on the other side of the wake, and our third is tasked with pulling it in once dropped.  Nobody has been hit in the head with a flying handle since instituting this method.

That said I think you will find that even with "light" ropes that the heaviest part of the light rope is the handle, so there's not really a problem getting the rope and handle in the boat if you throw (other than the above mentioned coiling to get within throwing distance).

I don't let anyone coil the rope in their hand. I have a fear they fall and the coil tightens around their hand, wrist or arm.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

hmmm, my experience has been much different.  I don't necessarily think its good to throw the rope to the other side of the wake only to have someone stand up in the boat to retrieve a rope.  Doesn't seem any safer that way, and no one has ever been injured by throwing the rope in the boat.  Everyone is pretty aware of where to toss the rope so no one gets hurt.  And that is part of the advantage of having a heavier rope ;) you can throw it where you want to.

I agree on coiling the rope of course.... we keep our rope on the shorter end.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
31 minutes ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

....only to have someone stand up in the boat to retrieve a rope. 

LOL you MUST be using a heavy rope if you'd need to stand to pull it in!  We just have an opposite side passenger hold their hand up, grab the rope with one hand and hand over hand it back into the boat.  All while seated.  

Especially for newbs (which even after all this time we seem to have a lot of) the "throw the rope on the other side of the wake" method seems to work better too.  Dont know why but it seems like when a newb tries to throw the rope int he boat it messes with their balance and they shoot right out the back.  Their cornhole game also ins't very strong, so errant handle throws are definitely expected.

now riding a foil, I definitely don't want to get close enough to the boat to throw the rope in... I don't have that much control yet.  I'm also foiling from the pylon for a little more rope length, so again, super easy for seated third to pull in.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3

Shawn, did you forget we run a listed boat which means that everyone is sitting on the surf side? :biggrin:

Annnnnyway back to recommendations on a surf rope with a handle that is on the heavier side.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
6 hours ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

5 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

5 hours ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

Ya, that would make a difference.  If the bulk of the weight is up by the tower it won't help with tossing the rope in.

The bungee section does go up on the tower (I removed that section).  The rope is pretty light, but with the added weight of the floats/handgrips and the handle, I haven't had an issue throwing it back in the boat.

My primary surf rope is a t-handle style that is pretty heavy on the handle end.  It has left a knot or two on some people when it gets thrown back in and the people towards the back are not paying attention.

I only use the actual triangle handle rope on days that I have people with me that can't get up using the t-handle due to not enough grip strength or grip technique.

23 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

https://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Wake_Surfing_Ropes/Liquid_Force_Ultra_Suede_Grip_Wake_Surf_Rope_LD5R12/index.asp

This one.  The foam absorbs some of the water and has some heft for easier throwing.

Thanks all, I ordered the one that Joeprunc recomended.  I found one in white that looks pretty sweet.  It seems to me like this might be the best option.  Also my hands were horrible today after wakesurfing yesterday....getting old sucks.  I can barely hold my coffee this morning.