Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow tie down?

bkearney

I am a new 22MXZ owner. On my old boat, I used transom tie downs. With the wedge, gate, exhaust, and platform I dont see how I can get transom tie downs to work. Therefore, I was thinking about using a second bow attachment in case the winch strap goes bad. Plus, I am paranoid :) Does anyone have a setup that they like? I saw the boat buckle kwik-lock but the breaking strength seems low at 1200 lbs. Any photos you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-- bk

7 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I have yet to see a new Malibu that won’t allow the use of transom for downs. On my 2014 I go to the bracket that holds on my swim platform. 

Really? You dont go to the eyelets above the swim platform?

2 minutes ago, bkearney said:

Really? You dont go to the eyelets above the swim platform?

At least on my brother’s 2019 25lsv it doesn’t have those. It hooks where Ryan says under the platform.

17 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Y’all don’t have that short strap safety chain and hook as the back up?  luv that feature on my ‘14 Boatmate 

Oddly enough it doesn't seem to be a standard feature.  I had to add it to mine and can't say that I have seen them on many boatmate trailers locally

16 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Oddly enough it doesn't seem to be a standard feature.  I had to add it to mine and can't say that I have seen them on many boatmate trailers locally

Same... new boat, no tie downs, nervous owner.

56 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

I do have tandem painted galvanized I ordered ,  wonder if it was part of that upgrade ?

Cool!  I  thought only the Aussies did that.  But based on your locale, it makes sense.  My next trailer will be alu or galvanized.  Or stainless if I win the Powerball.

I put the boat buckle on mine. I also use the rear platform brackets but from the side in the elongated holes. My Boatmate trailed does have the second bow strap just in case the winch strap breaks. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Cool!  I  thought only the Aussies did that.  But based on your locale, it makes sense.  My next trailer will be alu or galvanized.  Or stainless if I win the Powerball.

Get painted galvanized or non painted galvanized , I have seen an aluminum in salt water float up And  to side with the tide and get caught under a dock after the weight of the boat came off after launching 

local Supra dealer orders non painted ones and Supra seems to polish them a bit and he orders a lot of boats with grey panels matching the trailer ,  no need to do anything to those trailers ,  I always wipe down my painted one each week .  The Boatmate came with stainless brake calipers and rotors ,  zero rust ever 

Edited by granddaddy55