Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sound Pack Suggestion for A24

Raleigh

I’ve read through the last two years of posts and couldn’t find a good post so here goes...

My buddy has a Malibu 22 LSV that is sick but you can’t hear the tunes 65’ back. Is the  pack 3 necessary? These prices are insane and it’s all new to me. I have zero desire to stereo delete. 

I definitely want to hear my music (can’t hear crap on my current boat under power) while rolling, and hear it surfing. Would ideally like to hear it while wake boarding or foiling on the rope. 

Is pack 3 worth it? Would pack 2 suffice? I feel like I need 4 tower speakers but there are so many options!

I have the SP3 (4 Rev-10s and sub) and it is sufficient for me for surfing. Even with the surf pipe, my wife thinks the 4 Rev-10 tower speakers are woefully inadequate for just surfing in comparison to my single set of Rev-10s/SYN4/420 combo I had on my 2010. I have to agree with her that there was a significant difference between the two set ups. For wake boarding I very seriously doubt you would even be remotely happy with even the SP3 due to limitations placed on the amps. Offseason for me sees the install of a new tower amp and interface cables to make the wife happy. The in-boats and sub, I am going to leave alone as they work fine for us. We don't listen to too much "tennis shoes in the dryer" music anyway so the mid and base response are fine for us.:biggrin:

18 minutes ago, wdr said:

I have the SP3 (4 Rev-10s and sub) and it is sufficient for me for surfing. Even with the surf pipe, my wife thinks the 4 Rev-10 tower speakers are woefully inadequate for just surfing in comparison to my single set of Rev-10s/SYN4/420 combo I had on my 2010. I have to agree with her that there was a significant difference between the two set ups. For wake boarding I very seriously doubt you would even be remotely happy with even the SP3 due to limitations placed on the amps. Offseason for me sees the install of a new tower amp and interface cables to make the wife happy. The in-boats and sub, I am going to leave alone as they work fine for us. We don't listen to too much "tennis shoes in the dryer" music anyway so the mid and base response are fine for us.:biggrin:

That's insane. So even the SP3 is not adequate. I'm surprised they don't come with enough power to the speakers (via amp) from the factory with all the money it costs to purchase that option. 

Even still, you are saying that the SP3 is thew only package that will get remotely close? 

Just now, Raleigh said:

That's insane. So even the SP3 is not adequate. I'm surprised they don't come with enough power to the speakers (via amp) from the factory with all the money it costs to purchase that option. 

Even still, you are saying that the SP3 is thew only package that will get remotely close? 

IN MY OPINION, my current 2019 with 4 Rev-10s is not even remotely close to my old single set of Rev-10s. There was no way in hell that I could sit in the 2010 with the speakers cranked to max, I would of definitely ended up with hearing loss. In my 2019 it is a rare instance when I don't have the towers maxed when the wife is out surfing. That is through the BT source, on my phone on Spotify, phone volume maxed and no EQ set on the phone. through the 3.5 jack provisions we do gain some volume, but nothing close to the old set up.

3 hours ago, wdr said:

IN MY OPINION, my current 2019 with 4 Rev-10s is not even remotely close to my old single set of Rev-10s. There was no way in hell that I could sit in the 2010 with the speakers cranked to max, I would of definitely ended up with hearing loss. In my 2019 it is a rare instance when I don't have the towers maxed when the wife is out surfing. That is through the BT source, on my phone on Spotify, phone volume maxed and no EQ set on the phone. through the 3.5 jack provisions we do gain some volume, but nothing close to the old set up.

Wow. Good to know. But I guess that’s it for the factory install! I would feel comfortable adding an amp. Could it be (perhaps stupid question) that the amp is just not powering the 4 speakers as well as the two you had previously? The speakers themselves being the same manufacturer and specs should be able to produce the same sound. So weird! 

My friend has SP2 on his 2018 T22. It’s very loud at surf speeds with the 4 icons and on the tower. No idea if you’d heard it wakeboarding, but you won’t want icon’s for projecting sound back that far anyway. You will want Rev’s or a similar horn style speaker. I do feel Axis has a better tower speaker setup. On the Malibu tower, the speaker shelves plus the bimini Block a lot of the sound going back. You don’t have that issues on the axis tower. 

One option would be to get the factory sound pack with Rev 10’s then replace the tower amp with an aftermarket one you can tune in better. I personally feel the interiors are fine, the sub could use some help but it’s fine for the rock and country I listen to. That way you’d have everything wired and ready to go and you’d only have to buy a new amp and a wire harness to connect it to the factory wiring. 

We have SP2 on our 2018 A24. It is PLENTY loud enough for us. We do not wakeboard at all so I can't attest to the long line sound quality. But for surfing it is fine. Could it be better, sure! But it is plenty for what we use the boat for. We aren't trying to win any contests or be the loudest boat in the cove. For surfing and hanging out, our SP2 sounds great. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

My friend has SP2 on his 2018 T22. It’s very loud at surf speeds with the 4 icons and on the tower. No idea if you’d heard it wakeboarding, but you won’t want icon’s for projecting sound back that far anyway. You will want Rev’s or a similar horn style speaker. I do feel Axis has a better tower speaker setup. On the Malibu tower, the speaker shelves plus the bimini Block a lot of the sound going back. You don’t have that issues on the axis tower. 

One option would be to get the factory sound pack with Rev 10’s then replace the tower amp with an aftermarket one you can tune in better. I personally feel the interiors are fine, the sub could use some help but it’s fine for the rock and country I listen to. That way you’d have everything wired and ready to go and you’d only have to buy a new amp and a wire harness to connect it to the factory wiring. 

This is makes sense. With the Icon you can better closer up but the icons allow you to hear more farther away. Anyone mix and match? 2 icons 2 rev 10s?

28 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

This is makes sense. With the Icon you can better closer up but the icons allow you to hear more farther away. Anyone mix and match? 2 icons 2 rev 10s?

I personally feel that would be a waste of money on adding Icons to the Rev 10’s. The 10’s Will way over power them and you won’t get anything additional from the icons imo. 

Speakers that project sounds long distances can still be heard at short distances but not the other way around. In my experience. 

59 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

Comparing the same size coaxial to HLCD, yes, the coaxial will have better near field sound quality, but the HLCD will do better at wake range projection. However, this is not always cut and dry when comparing an 8" coaxial to a larger, say 10" or 11" HLCD. The additional speaker surface area of the larger HLCD, helps add mid-bass balance to the typically dominant compression driver. Some will still say the coaxial sounds better close up, and I would not argue that. However, the larger HLCD is absolutely the best of both worlds. With a large pair of HLCD and proper power them, you will not know the smaller coax is there. Besides, the larger HLCD and amp setup, will come in WELL under the cost of trying to add in smaller coaxial. Further, you would need 2 additional amp chnls to power the other pair of speakers. In the OEM scenario, this would mean adding a whole new amp and wiring. You would not want to just wire the small coax and larger HCLD together on the same amp chnl.  

19 minutes ago, MLA said:

Comparing the same size coaxial to HLCD, yes, the coaxial will have better near field sound quality, but the HLCD will do better at wake range projection. However, this is not always cut and dry when comparing an 8" coaxial to a larger, say 10" or 11" HLCD. The additional speaker surface area of the larger HLCD, helps add mid-bass balance to the typically dominant compression driver. Some will still say the coaxial sounds better close up, and I would not argue that. However, the larger HLCD is absolutely the best of both worlds. With a large pair of HLCD and proper power them, you will not know the smaller coax is there. Besides, the larger HLCD and amp setup, will come in WELL under the cost of trying to add in smaller coaxial. Further, you would need 2 additional amp chnls to power the other pair of speakers. In the OEM scenario, this would mean adding a whole new amp and wiring. You would not want to just wire the small coax and larger HCLD together on the same amp chnl.  

Okay thank you for that! I’ve crossed that off the list.

4 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

So in your mind is 2 pair of 10s a waste? What about this ugly as sin setup? https://www.wetsounds.com/product/REV-410-B-SC-V2

Depends on what your goal is. I originally wanted the dual Rev-10s on my '10, but finances at the time won out. A single set allowed me to get the amp (SYN4) used, off of a member here and the 420 from Earmark (best upgrade I've ever made). The wife complained forever about how ugly the single set of Rev-10s looked. :Doh:The only reason that I have the dual sets of Rev-10s now is that the dealer messed up the original build sheet and comped me the 2nd set as a "sorry for the mistake gift". With the current OEM amp settings, I imagine that I would be in the extremely disappointed camp with just a single set of Rev-10s. With the capability to properly adjust the amp for the tower speakers, I would bet a single set of Rev-10s would be even LOUDER behind a surf pipe equipped boat in comparison to my STE equipped 350 Monsoon which was crazy loud from my perspective.

As an after thought IRT wakeboarding distances. The single set of Revs could be heard out there, but were kind of drowned out by the exhaust. I have yet to compare my new set up at wb distance, but I bet there would be less volume given what I know about the near volume capability.

2 minutes ago, wdr said:

Depends on what your goal is. I originally wanted the dual Rev-10s on my '10, but finances at the time won out. A single set allowed me to get the amp (SYN4) used, off of a member here and the 420 from Earmark (best upgrade I've ever made). The wife complained forever about how ugly the single set of Rev-10s looked. :Doh:The only reason that I have the dual sets of Rev-10s now is that the dealer messed up the original build sheet and comped me the 2nd set as a "sorry for the mistake gift". With the current OEM amp settings, I imagine that I would be in the extremely disappointed camp with just a single set of Rev-10s. With the capability to properly adjust the amp for the tower speakers, I would bet a single set of Rev-10s would be even LOUDER behind a surf pipe equipped boat in comparison to my STE equipped 350 Monsoon which was crazy loud from my perspective.

This is the same thing that happened to me.  If I had paid for 2 sets of Rev 10s, I would be asking for my money back as its very very under powered for the cost.  I think one set of properly tuned speakers would blow my 2 pair away.  Over winter I plan to swap the tower amp out, just disappointed itll cost another $1,000 to get the stereo where it should be factory.

19 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

So in your mind is 2 pair of 10s a waste?

What about this ugly as sin setup? https://www.wetsounds.com/product/REV-410-B-SC-V2

For many people a single pair of large HLCD gets the job done. There are those that want more, so two pair of perfect for them.

As to the ugly thing. Its two 10" mid-bass woofers flanking a large (larger then the one in a single 10" HLCD) compression driver. A pair of those is the ultimate in wake rage projection volume and near field sound quality. Can easily be powered by a single 4 chnl amp bridged into 2 chnl mode.  

4 minutes ago, MLA said:

For many people a single pair of large HLCD gets the job done. There are those that want more, so two pair of perfect for them.

As to the ugly thing. Its two 10" mid-bass woofers flanking a large (larger then the one in a single 10" HLCD) compression driver. A pair of those is the ultimate in wake rage projection volume and near field sound quality. Can easily be powered by a single 4 chnl amp bridged into 2 chnl mode.  

Ah! Well like the pickle fork design, ugly can be beautiful. I guess its another mark for function over form!

3 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

This is the same thing that happened to me.  If I had paid for 2 sets of Rev 10s, I would be asking for my money back as its very very under powered for the cost.  I think one set of properly tuned speakers would blow my 2 pair away.  Over winter I plan to swap the tower amp out, just disappointed itll cost another $1,000 to get the stereo where it should be factory.

So you have to add another amp b/c of the under-powered dual speakers?

1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

You have to add another amp because of the conservatively tuned and for the most part factory only adjustable OEM amp. The Malibu amp cables have special heads that require an aftermarket cable(s) to allow the new amp to mate to the OEM factory cable heads as I understand it. I believe Exile has some of the cables and a member on here is making them as well.

19 hours ago, Raleigh said:

17 hours ago, wdr said:

You have to add another amp because of the conservatively tuned and for the most part factory only adjustable OEM amp. The Malibu amp cables have special heads that require an aftermarket cable(s) to allow the new amp to mate to the OEM factory cable heads as I understand it. I believe Exile has some of the cables and a member on here is making them as well.

You have to replace an amp and yes, you need to replace the cable, but most custom shops are just modifying the existing cable.  Syn 2.3 ~$1000 plus labor to install and tune $250.  Not some think youd want to have to pay for after spending $5k on a stereo.  If I did it again Id do stereo delete and find somewhere to install.  The reason I didnt do it this time was because of the sport knob integration, which I now could take it or leave it as thats too much money to spend on a volume knob.

23 hours ago, MLA said:

MLA's bang on.  Those combo pods are awesome for wakeboarding.  Back before the 10", there was the Pro485.  Those flanked by Pro80's were amazing at the end of the wakeboard line.  I'd have done two Pro485 if they'd have fit on the tower.  I can only imagine what 10" versions would do.

IMG_0046

52 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

MLA's bang on.  Those combo pods are awesome for wakeboarding.  Back before the 10", there was the Pro485.  Those flanked by Pro80's were amazing at the end of the wakeboard line.  I'd have done two Pro485 if they'd have fit on the tower.  I can only imagine what 10" versions would do.

IMG_0046

I like that setup with the big box flanked by 10s

25 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

I like that setup with the big box flanked by 10s

What was kind of neat about it that I discovered after the fact was the sound beaming. The loudest part behind a boat is directly behind it. When I carved out to either side it gets a lot quieter. The 485 could punch through the ambient straight back. The 80s I could then turn to the sides to project out where I was setting up for tricks. Didn’t need as much volume there. And it blended well.