Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Emergency impeller change kit?

Whitecap

18 hours ago, formulaben said:

My '02 LSV didn't have one, but my 3-way flush valve that I added would serve as a shutoff if I'd even need to do it.

Can you post a link to where you bought that? I remember seeing you post it before and I saved it but now can’t find it. 

On 9/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, EchelonMike said:

Also, if you service your impeller annually, you simply won't shred one.  Funny story - the boat I just bought is an 08 and only had 100 hours - original owner.

-- Mike

Wish that were true. My shredded at 65 hours on a 2019  

17 hours ago, eubanks said:

Wish that were true. My shredded at 65 hours on a 2019  

Professionally, I’m in the aviation business.  We are always trying to prepare for reaction to problems/emergencies underway.  After reading TMC for a few years now, it seems to me,  impeller failures are a lot like very poor landings.  There are only two kinds of pilots - those that have had them.... and those that will.

Same for impeller failures - those boaters that have had a failure....and those that will.  It seems to me, it’s probably going to happen to you at some point, eventuality.  Be prepared for it.  Set up a kit for it now and have a plan for when it happens.  

Seems like a simple, practical, easy to achieve process.

Thank you for the valuable education that is found here on TMC!

My best to you all,

Whitecap.

I've never had an impeller fail, but I change it every year, pretty much whether I need to or not.  

But I have seen impellers fail on other boats that were less than 50 hours old.  I suspect some crap made it past the sea strainer and small sticks damaged the rubber.  

I am not sure that could happen on my M6 because besides the slotted pickup, there is a sea strainer that is supposed to catch the debris.  My impeller is also much more accessible, and I wonder if it would be easy to change with pliers since I can reach it much easier than most older Vdrives.  

15 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I suspect some crap made it past the sea strainer and small sticks damaged the rubber. 

3 years ago I was somewhat surprised at how damaged my impeller was.  That winter I installed a sea strainer and the following year it looked brand new.  Cleaning out the debris caught by the strainer that was no longer going into the impeller made it obvious what was causing the damage.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Stuff happens.  I change mine every 2 seasons - about 100 hours.  Every one I have ever pulled out of my boat and the inlaws has looked so good that I felt bad throwing it away.  

Same here except 1 year. Did have part of 1 vein missing. All same usage as every other year. You just never know.

• 1 year later...

Any idea where to get replacement brass screws for the cover on a 2012?  There is a gremlin in the bottom of my boat that ate one!

Had to change mine on the water the other day, luckily its a direct drive boat. We puled the engine cover and sat it on the dock so people could stay in the boat while I changed it. 4 screws, pulled old one out with pliers, dipped the new one in a lil bit of bilge water for lube and it went right back together! Back on the water in under 10 minutes. 

9 hours ago, want2belifted said:

Any idea where to get replacement brass screws for the cover on a 2012?  There is a gremlin in the bottom of my boat that ate one!

Hardware store if you have one with a good selection.  M5 x 0.80 x 7/16"

Otherwise 

https://www.bakesonline.com/johnson-impeller-raw-water-pump-housing-screw-only.html#:~:text=M5 x 0.80 x 7,%3A Metric M5 (4.8mm)

https://marinepartssource.com/screw-05-04-550-0-0141-502?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1B4XDJddwUhppf-w5ukD7BzdsCcf1PTUcsk0sFR9X1JxnARFx81LG0aAujIEALw_wcB

• Like 1