Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Emergency impeller change kit?

Whitecap

14 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I don't get why people are not using a puller. It's so easy to use. How many housings are damaged by prying against the edge?

Probably only specific to my hull (02-04?) but I have a "step" at the back of the transom that makes getting a standard puller in there impossible without modifying it. 

21 hours ago, justgary said:

Once you get the impeller change down, if you have a trailer, simulate a tire change next to a busy highway....

Maybe..... food for thought.

be prepared for it, or be subject to another’s charity or service.

wouldn't you know; it might just be fate. Thought of you when this thread popped up! :)

Edited by Whitecap
18 hours ago, Cazan said:

Who’s prying?  They slide between the veins and pull right out.

He's talking about people using a screwdriver or whatever to get the impeller out.

Frankly I've never needed the puller. Change it more than once every 10 yrs &/or bump the engine for a second & the thing will come right out.

As for the screws, their brass & usually not very tight so a short screwdriver has been enough to get them loose, then I unscrew them by hand. A nut driver has also worked great too.

• Like 2

Truth be told, if you are changing the impeller and don't care what happens to the old one, it doesn't matter if you let the engine run for a few seconds.  It will help the impeller walk out on its own, and you won't overheat the engine. 

A few seconds won't really hurt the impeller anyway, and not at all if you lube the shaft first and get some on the rubber.  I don't pull the lanyard, I just crank the engine for a few seconds. 

• Like 2
On 9/10/2019 at 10:14 PM, Cazan said:

Who’s prying?  They slide between the veins and pull right out.

Do they slide all the way to the back of the impeller, then get between the impeller and housing? Place them at 3 o’clock / 9 o’clock roughly??? Then pull? Or... ? 

Trying get a mental pictures here... replacing mine soon. 

Was thinking straight needle nose locking pliers but don’t want to damage anything. 

2 hours ago, DylanR said:

Do they slide all the way to the back of the impeller, then get between the impeller and housing? Place them at 3 o’clock / 9 o’clock roughly??? Then pull? Or... ? 

Trying get a mental pictures here... replacing mine soon. 

Was thinking straight needle nose locking pliers but don’t want to damage anything. 

Exactly.  I add a bit of a dawn first, pull the Laynard and bump the ignition.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

That's a huge pump compared to ours.  Even so, at about 2:10 in the video he could save a bunch of time by just pulling on the handle instead of continuing to twist it.

But at least if you buy that you have what looks like a well-made gear puller.

I have never not been able to put any of the inboards I ski or owned up on plane after losing an impeller and not maintain a normal water temp. I would watch the temp very close as I have not been in every boat. It has always got me home with no issues and changed impellers on a lift. The thing you need to watch is if you need to go slow ( No Wake ) or time to load on a trailer.  I lost my first impeller on a v drive I had fifteen miles from my house. Did not know I could cool it running at speed so towed it home.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, OhTwoBu said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you pulled the impeller while in the water like the OP is suggesting, wouldn't you sink?  What's holding back the lake at that point?

Water rises to its level.  Unless your impeller housing is at or below waterline then no issue.  Or shut the valave if you are worried. 

Edited by oldjeep

Glad someone said it - you can't take the impeller out with the boat in the water unless you want to sink. Water will GUSH in.  I don't think my raw water hose has a valve on it.  I'll look next trip to verify as now I am curious.

Also, if you service your impeller annually, you simply won't shred one.  Funny story - the boat I just bought is an 08 and only had 100 hours - original owner.  The guy still changed the oil and filter yearly, and the tranny and vdrive every other season.  I asked about the last time he changed the impeller and he said "what's that".  So the boat had a 10 year old impeller.  First thing I changed when I got her home.  Came out easily with some lube, a starter bump, and needle nose.  Not that I would risk it, but it looked damn near new.  I think we all worry too much about impeller health.  :-)

-- Mike

5 minutes ago, MadMan said:

None of my Malibu's have had a shut off on the water intake.

I guess the oldest one I have worked on is an 04 and it has one.  It is a safety item, in the same way that any ballast through hole needs one between hull and pump. 

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

I guess the oldest one I have worked on is an 04 and it has one.  It is a safety item, in the same way that any ballast through hole needs one between hull and pump. 

Yep, mine have all been older.

1 hour ago, EchelonMike said:

Glad someone said it - you can't take the impeller out with the boat in the water unless you want to sink. Water will GUSH in.  I don't think my raw water hose has a valve on it.  I'll look next trip to verify as now I am curious.

Also, if you service your impeller annually, you simply won't shred one.  Funny story - the boat I just bought is an 08 and only had 100 hours - original owner.  The guy still changed the oil and filter yearly, and the tranny and vdrive every other season.  I asked about the last time he changed the impeller and he said "what's that".  So the boat had a 10 year old impeller.  First thing I changed when I got her home.  Came out easily with some lube, a starter bump, and needle nose.  Not that I would risk it, but it looked damn near new.  I think we all worry too much about impeller health.  :-)

-- Mike

I have replaced one with 100 hours and 1 year use that was missing a vein. I change yearly needed or not.

18 hours ago, Cazan said:

Exactly.  I add a bit of a dawn first, pull the Laynard and bump the ignition.  

I wasn’t able to get the hang of the paint can removal tools way but can try again sometime... I used some 4” long nose pliers to work it out... mine was the original one had 148 hours on it.. I have had the boat for about 12-13 hours and when I checked the impeller the factory paint was still on the brass bolts and housing so pretty plain to see it had never been changed. Impeller still looked great, but possibly not functioning like new. 

The lubricant that comes with the kit didn’t seem like much so I loaded it up with Dawn dish washing liquid... any issues with it being drenched in the housing in that soap for a few days? A little got in my hull so there may be a few soap suds arise.. hope that’s no issue.. I wiped it up but it still may smell like green apples 😄. I may be exaggerating, but I did have to use a lot to get the impeller back in. 

*** my kit came with two black thin O rings that didn’t apply to my 2015 PCM 350 Monsoon that I am aware of. 

This is a good video that helped me... he used WD40 but most sway away from that method... 

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

If your water intake has no valve, that is weird and you shoud add one. 

My 2000 did not have one from the factory on the raw water intake or the center ballast thru hull.  I’m not sure when they started adding them from the factory.