Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DHixson

I am from Alexandria Louisiana and will be in Waco Texas with my boat this weekend.  I am taking some of my son and daughters friends from Baylor wake boarding.  I see Lake Waco and know they have the Brazos River.  Is one better than the other?  Can you even wake board on the Brazos?  Is there somewhere else we should go to wake board?  I would really really appreciate some advice.

@BearCreekBum, here's another member going to be in the same area as you.  If you get a chance to stop for an afternoon here in West Monroe passing thru, we can hit the Ouachita River again.  It's finally back down to pool stage.

@DHixson

Not much help in the Waco area, but Lake Belton isn't very far and have heard people board on it. Just flush the zebra mussels out of your boat before you bring it back to LA, we don't want any of those in our lakes/rivers here (if they are not already)!

I haven't been on the Brazos or Lake Waco, but I have seen them and they look pretty stumpy to me. Not sure what the current water levels are there either as we haven't had that much rain around central Texas this summer.  Any chance you could drive 30 mins north to Hillsboro and go to Lake Whitney?  Limestone bottom and very clean water there.  

3 hours ago, jwl019 said:

@BearCreekBum, here's another member going to be in the same area as you.  If you get a chance to stop for an afternoon here in West Monroe passing thru, we can hit the Ouachita River again.  It's finally back down to pool stage.

@jwl019 I’ll have to discuss with better half since we had already talked about taking a southern route home. Would love to see your new ride. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, BearCreekBum said:

@jwl019 I’ll have to discuss with better half since we had already talked about taking a southern route home. Would love to see your new ride. 

We will definitely get up there soon!   I am headed to Lewisville to get some radio work done on my boat after Waco and then they are going to service it.  I should have it back in a week or so.   The Ouachita River is a fantastic place to boat!!

20 hours ago, Leftlane said:

I haven't been on the Brazos or Lake Waco, but I have seen them and they look pretty stumpy to me. Not sure what the current water levels are there either as we haven't had that much rain around central Texas this summer.  Any chance you could drive 30 mins north to Hillsboro and go to Lake Whitney?  Limestone bottom and very clean water there.  

I have not looked at Lake Whitney but I will look it up now.   We are certainly not opposed to driving - especially to get to such a nice Lake.   Thank you so much for the advice!

Re Lake Whitney, my favorite local lake.  This time of year, it shouldn't be very busy.

I use Windfinder  to figure out the wind direction and speed. If the wind is out of the south east try McCowen Valley Park and ride along the bluffs on the east side of the lake from the old Katy railroad bridge (now highway 1409) Along here

Generally Stay South of here

lofers bend is a a good ramp for the south part of the lake.

There is a small island we call The Rock that is fun to jump off, deep and safe on the sheer side.  Do not approach from the south or east, only approach from the west and north. The sloop side and south side have some stumps and shallow spots when the water is down. 

The River channel follows the bluffs. You can see this on your depth finder.

(This 3 word address links refer to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.  Then click the satellite icon to see satellite images)

7240965A-39C1-4D87-B1D1-CE22D96D8F2A.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat

@DHixson If you are looking for someone to help drink your beer while eating Cheetos and blueberries on the boat let me know and maybe we can meet up while I'm down there. If you prefer I can bring some red wine or grape juice.

Just ask @jwl019 

2 hours ago, BearCreekBum said:

@DHixson If you are looking for someone to help drink your beer while eating Cheetos and blueberries on the boat let me know and maybe we can meet up while I'm down there. If you prefer I can bring some red wine or grape juice.

Just ask @jwl019 

Lol, I still am appreciative of you introducing me to the Kona's and a few others you brought down here!  And your definitely welcome to join me anytime your in the area or passing thru.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 3:29 PM, BearCreekBum said:

Just ask @jwl019 

I ended up having a bunch of kids with us and they ate every snack and drank all the water, Gatorade, and anything else we had on the boat.   LOL

On 9/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, Bozboat said:

Re Lake Whitney, my favorite local lake.  This time of year, it shouldn't be very busy.

I use Windfinder  to figure out the wind direction and speed. If the wind is out of the south east try McCowen Valley Park and ride along the bluffs on the east side of the lake from the old Katy railroad bridge (now highway 1409) Along here

Generally Stay South of here

lofers bend is a a good ramp for the south part of the lake.

There is a small island we call The Rock that is fun to jump off, deep and safe on the sheer side.  Do not approach from the south or east, only approach from the west and north. The sloop side and south side have some stumps and shallow spots when the water is down. 

The River channel follows the bluffs. You can see this on your depth finder.

(This 3 word address links refer to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.  Then click the satellite icon to see satellite images)

7240965A-39C1-4D87-B1D1-CE22D96D8F2A.jpeg

Sorry for the delayed reply.  The lake was awesome and we had such a great time!   We definitely will be back in the Spring.   We are looking at houses to lease for a week or two so the kids can come and go.