Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 VLX pricing

WK0622

Hi,

We are looking to buy our first Malibu and looking at the 21 VLX model specifically.  I've seen some pricing/negotiation related threads on this site, and I'm wondering whether what I have seen for other models (i.e., target 20 to 30% off "sticker") applies to this model as well.  In other words, is there something unique about how Malibu has priced the 21 VLX model that would leave dealers with smaller room for negotiation compared to their other models? 

I would be OK with either a 2019 or 2018 model.  For instance, I am seeing $83K or so advertised for 2018 models that are reasonably equipped - realistically, what should I target?   Thanks! 

This is a conversation you need to have with the dealer.  The 21VLX/MLX platforms are different pricing structures than all other models.  These boats are priced from factory and passed through from dealer meaning if you see a 21VLX for 83K then you are in the range of what you will spend.  Not to say you have no negotiating power but your talks will be more about "can you include PnP bags in the price?" and not "can you take 20% off this cost?" 

In other models you will see MSRPs much higher and those are the cases where 20-30% margins come into play.  Here is a good post on when they were released. 

2 hours ago, wedge88 said:

This is a conversation you need to have with the dealer. 

100% disagree.  This is the exact conversation you should have on forums and get a realistic idea of what can be negotiated.  The dealer's interest is in getting the most money out of you that he can.  I find it odd how some members are so hush-hush about what they paid - likely afraid of their dealer finding out the deal they gave.  It is always best to go in with all the data you can and know the top dollar you are willing to pay before walking.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

100% disagree.  This is the exact conversation you should have on forums and get a realistic idea of what can be negotiated.  The dealer's interest is in getting the most money out of you that he can.  I find it odd how some members are so hush-hush about what they paid - likely afraid of their dealer finding out the deal they gave.  It is always best to go in with all the data you can and know the top dollar you are willing to pay before walking.

I haven't started the negotiation process but definitely agree with this logic. That’s like asking the fox to guard the henhouse. 

I read this as if the 2017 was $80k on the special, then a 2018 or possibly 2019 at $83k is pretty consistent with that pricing.

I believe they dropped a few of the standard options over the last couple years, so there’s a little more spread in the pricing than just the $3k but it’s less than the other models that have gone up 4-6% each year.

Edited by NWBU
4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

You’re right, Nitrous... send me a PM and I’ll tell ya what I pay. 

7191985C-19BE-4659-AE3C-50C05FE63173.gif

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I tell a newbie to talk to dealer and suddenly I'm afraid to speak of "the deal".   

The 21VLX is a completely different animal as cost's are set minus freight, options and prep.  OP should talk to this dealer and start forming the relationship.  He is free to come online after and disclose what the offer is for discussion.  I was trying to align his expectations as he indicated he was seeing 20-30% discounts on Malibu's which isn't going to happen on a 21VLX.  A lot of variables go into pricing a boat.  Two identical boats in the same region can have one simple option different which can change the price $5K easily.  A lesser informed buyer comes to TMC and blasts the dealer, without the option, for being out of line with their pricing because they don't understand that option even exists.   

I'm not afraid to disclose my deal(s) but chose not to.  I have helped many others purchase boats with solid deals and didn't have to disclose what I paid in order for them to negotiate.  In the end, the deal has to be an agreement between the buyer and the dealer so why not start your conversation with the other party from the start.

27 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I tell a newbie to talk to dealer and suddenly I'm afraid to speak of "the deal".   

The 21VLX is a completely different animal as cost's are set minus freight, options and prep.  OP should talk to this dealer and start forming the relationship.  He is free to come online after and disclose what the offer is for discussion.  I was trying to align his expectations as he indicated he was seeing 20-30% discounts on Malibu's which isn't going to happen on a 21VLX.  A lot of variables go into pricing a boat.  Two identical boats in the same region can have one simple option different which can change the price $5K easily.  A lesser informed buyer comes to TMC and blasts the dealer, without the option, for being out of line with their pricing because they don't understand that option even exists.   

I'm not afraid to disclose my deal(s) but chose not to.  I have helped many others purchase boats with solid deals and didn't have to disclose what I paid in order for them to negotiate.  In the end, the deal has to be an agreement between the buyer and the dealer so why not start your conversation with the other party from the start.

Then simply avoid the post altogether.  He’s asking specifically about price negotiations.  If you don’t want to talk price then move along - sans the grandstanding.  Going all ‘how dare you!’ about a post requesting specific information is counterproductive imho.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, WK0622 said:

I'm wondering whether what I have seen for other models (i.e., target 20 to 30% off "sticker") applies to this model as well.  In other words, is there something unique about how Malibu has priced the 21 VLX model that would leave dealers with smaller room for negotiation compared to their other models?

The question that was answered seems crystal clear to me.

28 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

Then simply avoid the post altogether.  He’s asking specifically about price negotiations.  If you don’t want to talk price then move along - sans the grandstanding.  Going all ‘how dare you!’ about a post requesting specific information is counterproductive imho.  

I gave the OP my recommendations based on the model he is looking at as well as a previous thread with many of the answers he is looking for.  What does it even matter what deal I got?  I own a 22VLX which has a completely different price structure.   OP never asked for prices paid, he asked if he could get similar %'s that he has seen on other models off of the 21VLX.  

If you don't want to read then move along as your response is what's counterproductive imho.

Those MSRP numbers for the MLX and VLX advertised by Maliibu are for a hull and an engine.  Everything else is an add on.  My MLX MSRP'd at 132K and I paid much less.