Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Sunscape 21 LSV or 2004 Wakesetter VLX

scottyn

i am hoping to get into surfing and have a 21 ft length restriction...

currently looking at two boats:   2004 Sunscape 21 LSV with monsoon engine and diamond hull or 2004 Wakesetter VLX with 320 HP Gas motor.

both boats have the same hours (600), seem to be in good condition and are the same price.

Not sure what the beam is on both... looks to be 7'9"  can anyone confirm?

More importantly, any thoughts on which direction to go ?   (use will be 50% surfing, 30% tubing, 20% wake boarding)

thanks for any help you can provide!

They are both have the SV23 hull expect the Sunscape has the diamond hull which a low speeds they react the same but at higher speeds the wake is better for skiing. 

If they are priced the same and in the same condition id prolly opt for the Wakesetter. A lot of factors to consider. Which tower? Cover condition? Trailer condition?  Stereo?  Stock MLS? Upgraded ballast? 

Either way it’s going to take a lot weight to get a decent surf wave out of that hull.  It can be done, a lot of people on here have done it, but it’s it takes modification.  Plenty of threads here on it.

Easy. I like the diamond hull all things being equal. We called these Fakesetters. 

Good crossovers boats cuz they hadn’t gotten too big yet.

Either boat, put sacks in the rear lockers, ski locker, and people or a sac in the bow.

Buy a suck gate. 

Deploy the wedge. Enjoy!

Honestly it doesn’t matter about the hulls unless you plan on slaloming. Instead verify the prop installed, existence of working perfect pass, condition of tower and racks and ballast pumps and bimini and cover. Take a hard look at the vinyl. Let those be decisions factors. Oh, and get a mechanic to check the engine over and do an inspection!

You can make this wave with the SV23 diamond.  Pictured is no extra gear on the boat, driver only, no exposed ballast and rider (me) is 6'3".  Just have to weight it correctly - most owners aren't willing to do it right (5 ballast bags + 500lbs lead + floating wedge on my setup).  The SV23 is a capable hull and the diamond skis very well for a Vdrive - one of the best, actually.  Room is tight vs a newer boat due to the 93" beam.

Surfing-3.jpg