Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gatorstep versus Seadek? Or new carpet?

xx29l9

On 9/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, milehighbu said:

So I put brand new carpet in my previous 2012 MXZ which worked just fine.  However I just bought a new 2018 MXZ with the seadek flooring.  After having experiencing both I would give the seadek a higher recommendation.  I think it is more comfortable on the feet and I haven't had any issues with it being too hot.  Certainly, it is easier to clean and it looks great.  Since my 2012 carpet only lasted about 5 years I can't give it any advantage over the sedek. 

Just my 2 cents.

I'm looking at replacing old glue in carpet on my '01 VLX with either new carpet or doing the full swap to seadek, and came across this thread. If you don't mind sharing, how much was the carpet replacement on your 2012? Trying to get ballpark numbers to decide if it's worth the jump to seadek.

2 hours ago, ChadFulton said:

I'm looking at replacing old glue in carpet on my '01 VLX with either new carpet or doing the full swap to seadek, and came across this thread. If you don't mind sharing, how much was the carpet replacement on your 2012? Trying to get ballpark numbers to decide if it's worth the jump to seadek.

In 2012 the carpet wasn’t glued it was snap in. There are some videos talking about the process on YouTube 

1 minute ago, Niver39 said:

In 2012 the carpet wasn’t glued it was snap in. There are some videos talking about the process on YouTube 

Oh got it. Thanks!

On 9/9/2019 at 11:10 AM, xx29l9 said:

Thanks for the replies, one thing Gabe mentioned is that he has seen tears in this kind of flooring if something is drug over it and it catches a snag like someone pushing a cooler across the floor. Not that we have any extra coolers on our boat, but anyone see a tearing problem in this material on the floor or swim deck?

Bob 

Yes, I put gator step in 2 years ago. I would go carpet if I had to do it over again. 

On 1/27/2021 at 10:35 AM, ChadFulton said:

You'll need to also fill in the places that wont be snug anymore because of 3 layers of carpet. All of the places in the floor that can come up. 

I tore everything out of my boat, seats, table platform, seat, seat bases, tanks everything. Tearing the carpet out and getting the glue up wasn't to bad. You have raise the table platform to level and fill the sides. I used metal rods and epoxy. You also have to do it for the front ballast hole. You have to fill in under the passenger seat where it's not level. If your floor is unfinished you need to sand and epoxy it level. If it has the dimples all over they have to be smoothed out. It is NOT a weekend project. It took me a few months and I had issues with the template. Luckily Gator Step is 20 minutes away. I ended up taking my boat and they installed it because of all the issues. Before I did that they came to my house and helped with the template. Yes, I was doing it right but they were using 2 different templates or something so mine was never right. 

They have excellent customer service. 

I did 9mm but sho6ld of done 6. It was around $2500 and installation was free. 6mm would be around $1900 would be my guess. 

1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

Yes, I put gator step in 2 years ago. I would go carpet if I had to do it over again. 

Oh gosh, not me.  I switched to gator and never looked back.  So much nicer on the feet, dries quick, easy to clean, doesn't get stinky.  Looks better too IMO.  Now when I see a new boat boat with carpet in it, I just think it looks dated and cheap (for lack of a better term).

Edited by Sixer
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

I tore everything out of my boat, seats, table platform, seat, seat bases, tanks everything. Tearing the carpet out and getting the glue up wasn't to bad. You have raise the table platform to level and fill the sides. I used metal rods and epoxy. You also have to do it for the front ballast hole. You have to fill in under the passenger seat where it's not level. If your floor is unfinished you need to sand and epoxy it level. If it has the dimples all over they have to be smoothed out. It is NOT a weekend project. It took me a few months and I had issues with the template. Luckily Gator Step is 20 minutes away. I ended up taking my boat and they installed it because of all the issues. Before I did that they came to my house and helped with the template. Yes, I was doing it right but they were using 2 different templates or something so mine was never right. 

I did 9mm but sho6ld of done 6. It was around $2500 and installation was free. 6mm would be around $1900 would be my guess. 

templating turn around was a pain, never seemed right as i re-tested it for each change.  i didnt realize the actual product is so flexible it can be mounted to overcome the paper imperfections.  templating with paper in summer in New Orleans was ridiculous as i was sweating profusely, had to use towels as drip cloths to not ruin template

23 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

templating with paper in summer in New Orleans was ridiculous as i was sweating profusely, had to use towels as drip cloths to not ruin template

IIRC some  mfgs. provide clear mylar for the templating process.  Must have been a hoot in the summer in NO!

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 4:45 PM, Sixer said:

Oh gosh, not me.  I switched to gator and never looked back.  So much nicer on the feet, dries quick, easy to clean, doesn't get stinky.  Looks better too IMO.  Now when I see a new boat boat with carpet in it, I just think it looks dated and cheap (for lack of a better term).

I use to let dogs in my boat with carpet not anymore. It looks great but carpet would of been 1/4 of the price and would of lasted until I sell it. I can't say the same about gator step.  

On 1/29/2021 at 6:35 PM, malibu2004 said:

Thanks for the great info and insights! A local SeaDek dealer/installer quoted me at 3k all in, including carpet/glue removal, correcting and finishing fiberglass, custom laser scan, seadek material, installation, etc.. and would take about 3-4 weeks in his shop.

Thinking I'll probably take it to them if I decide to go EVA vs carpet as I just don't have the time to take on that kind of project (small business owner with 2 kids under 3...)

After taking on this project myself $3K sounds like a deal!   Just the SeaDek alone was going to be close to $2K.   After getting this far (doing templates now) I’m seriously considering actual SeaDek or Gatorstep.    If I were paying someone to do it I’d definitely make sure it was actual SeaDek if that was what’s agreed on.   

I’m fortunate to have the time and space to do it myself along with all of the other things that “need” to be done when wrenches start flying.    

16 hours ago, ROFF said:

After taking on this project myself $3K sounds like a deal!   Just the SeaDek alone was going to be close to $2K.   After getting this far (doing templates now) I’m seriously considering actual SeaDek or Gatorstep.    If I were paying someone to do it I’d definitely make sure it was actual SeaDek if that was what’s agreed on.   

I’m fortunate to have the time and space to do it myself along with all of the other things that “need” to be done when wrenches start flying.    

Thanks for the input! What part of TX are you in? We just moved to NC from Waco, but I grew up North of Dallas (McKinney, Frisco area) going out on Lake Cypress Springs out in the beautiful East TX pines.