Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Filter / Element?

To prepare for my first winterization DIY, I’ve been reading up on best practices for replacing the transmission fluid.  I grabbed my 5.7L Indmar 350 engine owners manual and read,  that the transmission fluid must be changed and the filter cleaned, yearly. 643CE91A-2469-4BCB-A55C-B4BA4352D7A3.thumb.jpeg.f01e720faf2814b735c09602fd546fc9.jpeg

Ok... I’ve learned a lot about changing the fluid.  It’s seems pretty straight forward now.  I can handle it.  BUT the filter?  Ok?  So I go to Bakes online and download the transmission owners manual from the resources section.  It turns out I have the ZF 45 iv, transmission.  (The one that has two dipsticks in it, both taking ATF, not any engine oil,  like the other transmission types do.). Here it is. 

87EFCBF7-591C-4B09-A656-B65289A05B28.thumb.jpeg.aea198a42c9329e3c561f32ca1d1da61.jpegE3162CEB-01E6-4D78-A781-D1C842A98013.thumb.jpeg.9457bb92873fe7fc68c31f4a6d7ba2cb.jpeg

Now that you know the model transmission I’m dealing with, let’s talk transmission filter.  First, WHERE THE HELL IS IT? :)  according to the transmission owners manual, if I am reading that thing correctly, it’s where the green circles are above, and below:

B559015D-A5D4-4F58-9AF5-5956212DFB4A.thumb.jpeg.9385f96d4f901a0af35c4286f5a84d0b.jpeg47721751-EF3B-4DA4-99D3-C680B7AF0F00.thumb.jpeg.82d854c5184440c4c90f59719a48798e.jpeg

So I take my 2013, 23’ LSV out for my morning drive.... and for the life of me, I can’t find this filter.  If I understand the pictures correctly,  that filter, which I’m supposed to clean yearly, is at the very bottom of the transmission, where the stern part of the transmission connects to the engine, down near the bottom of the boat in the bilge.  If that’s the case, it will be a huge pain in the tookas to get to this thing. (If I can even find it - which I haven’t been able to yet!)

question:

1). Is the transmission filter where I think it is?  Talk me on target.

2) after draining the transmission fluid, and before refilling it, are you getting to the transmission filter and cleaning it yearly?

3) is this even necessary? (Remember that the owners manual recommends removing the propeller for winterization as well - and very few do that)

4) can this be a DIY project or should it be left to the dealer?

5)  please give me the best way to clean this filter if necessary.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Cheers,

Whitecap

Skip directly to step 3. In the 1024 hours that I put on my 350/ZF combo I never changed the filter. Barring some catastrophic internal failure or a seal failure causing water intrusion, I bet your ATF looks brand new unless it has never been changed. I changed my ATF yearly out of an over abundance of caution and ATF is cheap, but it always looked brand new when I changed it. Because I never changed my filter I can't attest to the ease or difficulty of doing it. But I bet it is going to be a royal and messy PITA to get to based on my experience with that set up.  JM2C

Edited by wdr
sp
  • Like 2

My first four seasons, I took the filter (a cylindrical screen) out for cleaning.  It was always spotless, so I don't do it anymore. As a matter of fact, I now replace 1 only quart of ATF every other year.

6 hours ago, Whitecap said:

B559015D-A5D4-4F58-9AF5-5956212DFB4A.thumb.jpeg.9385f96d4f901a0af35c4286f5a84d0b.jpeg47721751-EF3B-4DA4-99D3-C680B7AF0F00.thumb.jpeg.82d854c5184440c4c90f59719a48798e.jpeg

1). Is the transmission filter where I think it is?  Talk me on target.

Note that Step 2.1.1 tells you that part (1) is the two M8 bolts that hold cover (2) on.  The filter element is part (4).  

Looking at the right side of Figure V-3, you see that these parts are located right in the center underneath, not at either side.

@justgary

yes, it’s a bit confusing.  Thanks for clarifying that for me. So the element, that I still can’t find is part (4).  So you think that filter is in the bottom middle of the transmission, not at the stern end of it?  I’ll see if that helps me at all tomorrow when I look for it again.  I fear it won’t matter in this regard - in that it will still be too of a pain to get too and inspect.  (And from the answers above, it may appear that it is not terribly critical to inspect every year).  I’m always open for instruction and information.

thank you, sir

Yes, at the stern end.  Yes, on the bottom.  Yes, in the middle of the stern end, not off to one side. 

Steps 2.1.1 through 2.1.3.  Remove two 8mm bolts.  Remove the cover and seal.  Remove the cylindrical filter, which is part (4) in the figure.  Part (1) is the two 8mm bolts. 

FWIW, I have the exact same transmission in my 2006.  I even recall researching the same question on this site way back when. 

The consensus back then was to leave the filter alone (IIRC, anyone who actually did this step swore the filter was squeaky clean; but, once removed and replaced, the odds of it subsequently leaking from there went way up).

Bottom line:  I've never touched mine. 

(BTW, I've never greased the starter Bendix either!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@justgary@srab

ive always respected the advice you two have given the community.  I’ll leave the dang thing alone, then.  It will only serve to make the winterization project quicker!  

Thanks for the help guys,

Whitecap

Edited by Whitecap
  • Like 1