Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying Used - Compression Test?...

MStevens822

Hey guys-

Malibu owner-to-be here. Looking to buy 2010-2012 VTX. I’m looking local since we’re right in the backyard of the local dealer. Aside from in-water test drive I’m thinking of calling the dealer with the Hull ID for service records but should I still consider taking the boat to the shop for a look-over before finalizing the sale?

Any other items in particular to look for?

Thanks in advance!!

1 hour ago, MStevens822 said:

Hey guys-

Malibu owner-to-be here. Looking to buy 2010-2012 VTX. I’m looking local since we’re right in the backyard of the local dealer. Aside from in-water test drive I’m thinking of calling the dealer with the Hull ID for service records but should I still consider taking the boat to the shop for a look-over before finalizing the sale?

Any other items in particular to look for?

Thanks in advance!!

Not sure a dealer could give you someone elses service records, and most folks are not having dealers service boats that are out of warranty.  As far as having a shop check it out, do your research and see if that is even possible, boat service is pretty busy this time of year. 

Edited by oldjeep

As a former tech at Bakes I would say compression test is a necessity. It’s super quick and easy. When I bought my 11 LSV a month ago or so I would say it took me a solid 15 minutes or so having my Dad crank the engine for me and could potentially save you from a $10,000 (or however much) engine job. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NWtech said:

As a former tech at Bakes I would say compression test is a necessity. It’s super quick and easy. When I bought my 11 LSV a month ago or so I would say it took me a solid 15 minutes or so having my Dad crank the engine for me and could potentially save you from a $10,000 (or however much) engine job. 

can you give a quick rundown of how to do the test yourself and recommend a reliable test tool?  i'm close to pulling the trigger on a boat but am going back and forth on having a shop do the test versus myself. 

1 minute ago, jtryon said:

can you give a quick rundown of how to do the test yourself and recommend a reliable test tool?  i'm close to pulling the trigger on a boat but am going back and forth on having a shop do the test versus myself. 

Make sure that the owner is OK with it.  I for one would not allow some random person to attempt a compression test on my boat.  Too easy for them to mess up a plug wire, crossthread a plug or actually start the engine - not to mention injuring themselves

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

There should be plenty of YouTube videos on 'how to' but as old jeep noted, an unknown person will not run a compression test on my boat, but I would be happy to run one for a potential buyer with or without them present.  One thing about a compression test, there is a level of interpretation and the process can influence the results, so caution on accepting results without actually knowing how it was done.  One additional step for a boat, make sure the impeller is not spinning if you are doing it out of the water.  If something is not to your liking on a compression test, next step is a leak down test which is actually a much more informative test.

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Not sure a dealer could give you someone elses service records, and most folks are not having dealers service boats that are out of warranty.  As far as having a shop check it out, do your research and see if that is even possible, boat service is pretty busy this time of year. 

Yeah, that's what I curious about (shop being busy/giving records to *me* over the phone). The post claims all service/winterization was done at said shop, so was hoping to the seller comply with the request instead of me calling them directly. Thinking of asking the seller to split the cost since 1-that'll be a first-step sign if something's wrong if they are sheepish about it, 2-it helps them sell the boat to me 3-if I bail they still have the report as assurance to other buyers? Figure it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks for the response!!

11 hours ago, NWtech said:

Good to know--thanks!!

4 minutes ago, MStevens822 said:

Yeah, that's what I curious about (shop being busy/giving records to *me* over the phone). The post claims all service/winterization was done at said shop, so was hoping to the seller comply with the request instead of me calling them directly. Thinking of asking the seller to split the cost since 1-that'll be a first-step sign if something's wrong if they are sheepish about it, 2-it helps them sell the boat to me 3-if I bail they still have the report as assurance to other buyers? Figure it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks for the response!!

Ah, so this is the one on Lake Minnetonka.  What color is that boat anyways?  Really hard to tell from the pictures

Honestly with under 300 hours I would just water test it

Edited by oldjeep
36 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Ah, so this is the one on Lake Minnetonka.  What color is that boat anyways?  Really hard to tell from the pictures

Honestly with under 300 hours I would just water test it

Ha! That's the one...looks black, I'll find out for sure in the next day or two.

Yeah, that's where I'm on the fence, <300 is pretty low. 

On your VTX have you had any issues with your Maliview and the lamination/bubbling on the screens? I've seen a few posts and have a buddy with a '13 VLX who's looking to replace his. Wondering if that's something to look for at XX hours or XX age of boat...

2 minutes ago, MStevens822 said:

Ha! That's the one...looks black, I'll find out for sure in the next day or two.

Yeah, that's where I'm on the fence, <300 is pretty low. 

On your VTX have you had any issues with your Maliview and the lamination/bubbling on the screens? I've seen a few posts and have a buddy with a '13 VLX who's looking to replace his. Wondering if that's something to look for at XX hours or XX age of boat...

Yes, just recently it has began to delaminate all the way around the screen. Still works, but I am expecting to have to replace it.  My boat is stored in a garage, so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with sun.

FWIW, I was figuring brown - based on the interior color

Edited by oldjeep

I agree with basically everything on the compression test subject fwiw. Especially having someone qualified perform it. For me I want to personally compression test every single boat I buy (very slim exceptions to this). Mstevens if you want to chat in more detail about it send me a message and I would be happy to help any way I can. 👍