Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SkiSafe Insurance Members - Double Check Your Auto-Renewal

Pra4sno

Ok here is my  update: Fort Worth, TX. 2013 Malibu 23’ LSV Wakesetter (350 monsoon)  I bought this boat for 62K

1) BoatUS has teamed up with Geico now.  When you talk with one, you are talking with both of them.

2) BoatUS vs Progressive:

Progressive coverage

Liability - 500k  * uninsured boater - 500k  * medical payments - 5k /person *

comprehensive / collision- 67K AGREED VALUE  * disappearing deductible *

wreckage removal  * marine electronics *

trailor - included in 67k value * water towing *  coastal navigation *

replacement cost personal effects - 5k  * roadside assistance - $500 coverage each occurrence *

year total - $682

BoatUS /  GEICO coverage 

Same exact coverages and deductibles EXCEPT:

1) AGREED VALUE was 70,300 dollars.  (Progressive included the trailer with the cost of the boat - BoatUS did not, so they recommended the coverage to include 3,500 dollars to replace the trailer as well).

2) added winterization / freeze damage - $25 bucks a year added to premium (progressive does not have this option)

3) BoatUS membership / $10 join up fee

year total - $671

1) So, through BoatUS, it looks like I am insured for more total dollar replacement cost in the event of a total loss while towing on the road, or in the water.

2) With BoatUS I will get winterization/freeze damage coverage that progressive does not cover

3) No winter layup was mentioned in either policy.

4) BoatUS/ Geico is a bit cheaper.

Looks like I’ll be switching companies - I really want the winterization coverage, being a first time boat owner.

Hope this helps someone out,

Whitecap

Edited by Whitecap

I use Travelers

agreed value on boat hull, motor, and trailer

mechanical coverage

no lay up

I have priced others and they are more expensive

I do not have any claim experience with any of them

Just feedback on Boat US as well vs Ski Safe as I hadn't considered my lay - up.  I have no layup with Boat US.  I have a 4 month layup with Ski Safe. 

following as I finally switched the beginning of this season from USAA/Progressive to SkiSafe and cut my annual bill in half nearly.  Sucks to hear I might be switching to Boat US now if I get hit as well.  Problem is, I do have a layup and what always pissed me off about USAA/Progressive is they wouldn't give me a layup period since I store my boat at my house in a heated garage with backup power.

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • 1 month later...

Bill showed up today, up $78 from last year.  Rate history is $254, $264, $264, $342 since I've been with them.  One thing I found interesting was the insert in the bill that talked about limiting liability from lift accidents.   Must be having a lot of over loaded lifts resulting in damages.  They even had some info on lift maintenance.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Or just people putting todays porky direct drive ski boat on the lift they bought for the one they had in the 90s

Does this boat lift make me look fat?  :)

Edited by Eagleboy99
No reason
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Bill showed up today, up $78 from last year.  Rate history is $254, $264, $264, $342 since I've been with them.  One thing I found interesting was the insert in the bill that talked about limiting liability from lift accidents.   Must be having a lot of over loaded lifts resulting in damages.  They even had some info on lift maintenance.

Is this with a layup ?

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, oldjeep said:

Got mine today with the boat lift Yada Yada too. I don't have a lift, charge those with lifts the premium, not me. Been boating 26 years and 0 claims, hate paying for something I hope to never use. Mine is currently quoted at $459 (Have to go back and see last years but it was under $400) year and I got re-quoted with boat US. apples to apples they were $548.

I maybe going to BoatUS then.  I have a few months to decide.  I'm sure this topic will soon blowup coming into the spring. 

21 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Got mine today with the boat lift Yada Yada too. I don't have a lift, charge those with lifts the premium, not me. Been boating 26 years and 0 claims, hate paying for something I hope to never use. Mine is currently quoted at $459 (Have to go back and see last years but it was under $400) year and I got re-quoted with boat US. apples to apples they were $548.

Update, Called back to find my last years premium and the girl checked every possible deduction available to apply to new premium.

Last year $359

this year $459 

Called back 30 minutes later to ask another question. This time the (Different) agent said oh yes they made a mistake it will be $399 this year. So increase of $40 Instead f $100.

Maybe call back tomorrow and get old rate!:lol:

Boat U.S. was still higher at $548.

Met Life who I have everything else with is preparing Quote now. He said Progressive was his best price Apples To Apples. Progressive = $585.

I definitely appreciate everyone contributing to this thread.  Makes me feel good about my decision to leave Ski Safe, but does provide feedback that it might make sense to use Ski Safe if you have an newer high dollar boat.  

2018 LSV 23 lightly used is a $90,000+ boat.  Premium at $400 (or 450 before called in to dispute). 

2012 VTX 40, $50,000+ boat.  Premium at $350

1993 Malibu Echelon agreed value at $12k.  Premium was going to be $350. 

My boat pricing may be +/- a few grand, but works well to showcase how flat their pricing appears to be.

Edited by Pra4sno
1 hour ago, Pra4sno said:

I definitely appreciate everyone contributing to this thread.  Makes me feel good about my decision to leave Ski Safe, but does provide feedback that it might make sense to use Ski Safe if you have an newer high dollar boat.  

2018 LSV 23 lightly used is a $90,000+ boat.  Premium at $400 (or 450 before called in to dispute). 

2012 VTX 40, $50,000+ boat.  Premium at $350

1993 Malibu Echelon agreed value at $12k.  Premium was going to be $350. 

My boat pricing may be +/- a few grand, but works well to showcase how flat their pricing appears to be.

Yes, but value isn’t the only contributing factor. Liability limits, deductible, freeze protection, etc will all impact the premium. I have the same boat as @dalt1 and my premium last year was 550. My umbrella policy requires me to have higher coverage limits and for only another $100, I thought the freeze coverage seemed reasonable. 

5 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Yes, but value isn’t the only contributing factor. Liability limits, deductible, freeze protection, etc will all impact the premium. I have the same boat as @dalt1 and my premium last year was 550. My umbrella policy requires me to have higher coverage limits and for only another $100, I thought the freeze coverage seemed reasonable. 

I have an Umbrella attached to this policy so I'm covered on my Limits. It only requires $300,000 Liability, $1000 deductible, I don't need freeze coverage. Guess I'll take my $399 Premium and be happy with that.

17 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

I have an Umbrella attached to this policy so I'm covered on my Limits. It only requires $300,000 Liability, $1000 deductible, I don't need freeze coverage. Guess I'll take my $399 Premium and be happy with that.

Just looked up my coverage, I was wrong. My premium is 607. 1k deductible, 500k liability, freeze coverage. 

• 2 weeks later...

My auto-renewal came in this morning for SkiSafe and it stayed flat to ‘19.  I appreciate the forum and this thread as a reminder to check!

Edited by OnTheWater

Our Ski Safe policy increased approximately 15% this year. Still just a little over $500 per year for two boats with agreed upon values. Switched from BoatUS last year. May seem petty, but I switched mainly to stop funding rediculous GEICO advertising campaigns. :unsure:

Do all of the new Skisafe policies have agreed value indefinitely?  I had Skisafe for my 98 sunsetter for 10 years with very few increases over the time and agreed value the entire time.  When I went to insure the newer boat last year (01 sunscape), Skisafe would only do an agreed value for 2 years then it would automatically switch to actual value (i forget the actual term).  Not sure if that was due to the age of my boat or a change in skisafe policy.  I know I could switch insurances after two years, but this left a bad taste for me.