Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got a scare this weekend

We were out skiing this Saturday. Water temp was 48.6 degrees, air temp around 67 degrees. I had just completed a set and my dad was in the water and ready to go. I always pay extra close attention to the gauges on the first day of the season just to make sure everything was put together properly after winterization. So the story goes, I pull dad out of the water and once I get him up to speed, I glance over at the multi-gauge. Engine temp said 165, which I thought was a little high, but figured would come down to 160 after a few seconds at slalom speed. Instead, the gauge began a slow ascent 170-175-180-185-190. So now I begin to get worried. The dealership changed our impeller in the fall. Did they screw something up? So I drop my skier and kill the engine. Upon opening the hatch, I don't feel any extra heat radiating off the engine. In fact, all hoses are warm, but not hot. Ditto for the manifolds. I end up closing the hatch, going back up to the helm, and cycling the gauges a few times with the ignition. After the third time, the temp gauge comes to rest on 160 and stays there. It didn't move off of 160 for the rest of the day Saturday or Sunday.

So my question is, what would cause the gauge to creep up slowly like that? I don't think it could be a voltage drain as all the other gauges were behaving perfectly and if there was a bad ground or voltage drain, I would expect the gauge to peg out. It behaved exactly how it would with an overheating engine. Dontknow.gif

Wasn't the Tstat. That was the first thing I checked out. I'm sure it's the gauge too, but it was just weird how it crept up slowly like that.

So, while you were doing all these checks, was Pop still out in the water freezing his #$% off wondering what you were doing? :blush:

Edited by LS-One

Check all the hoses throughout the cooling system. We had a similar problem once. If we were cruising, all would be fine, high RPMs it would heat up, but we couldn't tell that it was "hot". Well, we kept our eyes open, and finally we realized that one of the hoses was not tight enough and when under high RPM, would spew water out, thus not getting enough to the engine. During winterization, they take all those hoses off, make sure they are tight.

All the hoses were checked and fine. Cycling the key a couple times put the temp gauge exactly where it needed to be. There were no cooling issues. It's a gauge issue. Damn KM gauges. They look great, but they really suck the big one when it comes to actually WORKING!!! :)

Dad took off his ski (tough task when the bindings are cold and non-pliable) once I told him the problem. He must've fought with them for 5 minutes. As soon as he got up on the platform with his ski off, the gauge re-set. He was pissed. :)