Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buckles on a Comp Vest?

powbmps

Each their own with NCGA and CGA.  I don't compete at all, but after switching to a NCGA vest while skiing 5 years ago, I will never switch back to CGA.  The freedom, mobility, and lightness of a comp vest is 100 Xs better than a CGA, oh and I weigh 155 lbs, so beer belly isn't an issue.  As discussed above, the safety is not on the playing same field at all.  

@powbmps How old was that vest, was the neoprene brittle?  UV rays will degrade neoprene rather quickly.  That brand makes quality equipment and I love my vest (fits like a glove).  I've had other vests that blow out around the waist and float up, but that brand 3 years later still fits snuggly around the waist and hasn't ridden high after a crash.  I bet the cutting of the vest created a stress riser which allowed the force of the fall to rip the vest apart.  

@Joeprunc - Just to be clear, I have no issue with the brand, and will buy another one before next season (always a good Christmas present) :).  I sent along pictures, and they still offered to repair it.  

The vest was a year and a half old.  Good point about UV rays.  I let it dry in the sun after skiing, but don't leave it out all the time. Not able to comprehend stress risers, but I can apply plenty of force to the cut areas, with no tearing at all.  The neoprene certainly seems stronger than the stitching. 

Just realized last night that my rear boot is damaged as well.  Still feeling very lucky that I didn't hurt myself!

On 9/6/2019 at 1:38 PM, UWSkier said:

You may not think so until you try reaching across your chest or getting your elbows down close to your sides.  At least for slalom, they make a big difference.  For nonsense like surfing, USCG vests are fine.

Ive skied both x-vest and comp vests. There is definitely a difference in being connected while slalom, and while I’m not 5% body fat, I don’t have a beer belly either.

I’ve done OTF in both and it’s beyond doubt that the x-vest is dramatically better protection.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:45 AM, powbmps said:

@Joeprunc - Just to be clear, I have no issue with the brand, and will buy another one before next season (always a good Christmas present) :).  I sent along pictures, and they still offered to repair it.  

The vest was a year and a half old.  Good point about UV rays.  I let it dry in the sun after skiing, but don't leave it out all the time. Not able to comprehend stress risers, but I can apply plenty of force to the cut areas, with no tearing at all.  The neoprene certainly seems stronger than the stitching. 

Just realized last night that my rear boot is damaged as well.  Still feeling very lucky that I didn't hurt myself!

Sounds like it was just a brutal hit....any video?  Yeah, sorry I wasn't trying to harsh about the brand, and that's awesome that they offered to fix it, and you'll be sticking with them.  Its funny how this day and age customer service drives brand loyalty. 

Bummer about the bindings.  Not sure what rear boots you had, but in beginning of this year I tried switching my boots.  Last year had the Radar Vapor front & Vector rear, and the rear was blowing out.  I tried a vapor rear and a profile rear and didn't like either of them....I liked the looseness of the vector.  I ended up trying a HRTP, it took me a few sets to get use to it, but really really like it now, and the few releases I've had this year, the Vapor releases very much on par with the HRTP.

• 3 weeks later...

While on the subject of safety and particularly with OTF comments, I suggest your handle have pass through protection.  An arm guard, T or cross bar or whatever term or style you would like to use but simply put a guard that keeps the handle from going through your head.  In-Tow, FM, US Gear and others all make options.  I make my own as do many.  It is a low frequency occurrence but has pretty drastic consequences.  Shock tubes are also valuable for those that shoot the handle towards the boat.  Another interesting item was the backboard that came on the Carbon Pro and stored along the gunnel.

Personally, I do prefer a low bulk vest and it is a personal decision.  A benefit of a strap and buckle, any vest stretch due to water saturation is controlled with the strap.  As far as getting it off with an injury, the vest was the least of the removal pain, that darn neo top was way more painful (or just call me 'frugal' since I really like that top:-)  As much as flotation, rib protection is a key element for slalom crashes IMO.  

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, braindamage said:

Ive skied both x-vest and comp vests. There is definitely a difference in being connected while slalom, and while I’m not 5% body fat, I don’t have a beer belly either.

I’ve done OTF in both and it’s beyond doubt that the x-vest is dramatically better protection.

My x-vest has definitely saved my ribs a couple times, although I have broken a rib wearing it too.   Never broken a rib in an OTF though, always land flat on my back (so far)

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

My x-vest has definitely saved my ribs a couple times, although I have broken a rib wearing it too.   Never broken a rib in an OTF though, always land flat on my back (so far)

You are right. The worst are not OTF. Both times I hit the steep of the wake at full speed flat against my chest. Once was due to broken handle and the other due to just bad form and hanging on anyway thinking I could pull up once across the wake. Either way...lots of pain, displaced ribs, but no broken bones.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, braindamage said:

You are right. The worst are not OTF. Both times I hit the steep of the wake at full speed flat against my chest. Once was due to broken handle and the other due to just bad form and hanging on anyway thinking I could pull up once across the wake. Either way...lots of pain, displaced ribs, but no broken bones.

That is how I have broken ribs 4 times, full speed into the wake trying to hang on when I should have let go.   The 5th time was jetski handlebar. 

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, braindamage said:

Yup - this is me.  Only I broke ribs. Have a bump the size of a hotdog on the floating ribs.  Could not lie on my stomach for years.

• Like 1