Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing ruining water sports?

Barefooter88

First off I'm not starting this thread to bash surfing. I have a 03' VLX that can make a repectable wave. The closest lake I have is marginal at best to ski on. We have to put in when everyone is leaving and there can't have hardly any wind. I primarly slolem ski then when I hit a patch of glass I almost always step off and make a footing run. The one thing that I've noticed is due to the popularity of surfing in the last few years exspecially this year. The lake will have perfect conditions. (minimal boats on the lake and no wind) Then there was about 6 or 7 boats surfing and there were 3 ft rollers and glass everywhere that I couldn't even hardly slolem ski in. Then I head 3 hours south to a great skiing lake and on the river of the lake where theres always glass and hardly any other boats there's a bunch of people surfing and ruining the water. It really has made me think twice about where I fill my bags and surf at since glassy water don't mean a hill of beans to surfing. To be frankly honest I haven't even put my low end prop on and surfed all year because of this. I would just like to recommend to some people that are new to inboards and water sports to think about where they are surfing. Theres other people on the lake that enjoy other things that require glassy water. Just wondering if others who don't have access to a private lake are expeincing the  same thing or thinking the same way I do.

We just set the alarm early before other boats hit the lake! But its not any one group for us its all boats. I think most people who don't know what glass is to a slalom skier have no clue what they are doing to your water. We use to get evening skiing most every day of the week other then weekends. Not any more. For us the best skiing is after everyone else thinks the water is to cold to enjoy.  :yahoo:Dry suits!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

I’m always amazed when this one 23ish foot deep sitting crownline goes by with their tube. The waves it puts out are honestly larger than most of our wakeboats on the lake when surfing. Quite a surprise.

25 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I was also wondering why nobody tubes on your lake. Tubing seems to be at an all time high around here.

There's plenty of tubers they are typicly leaving for the day or not out during the week. Most people who ride tubes are kids. 

We just ski early, usually best for us before the jet skis come out, right about 8:30-9am most days.  If we haven'tgotten our sets in by then, well..... but out the surf boat. Like @Sixball said, its really all the other boats, and this year there were definately more than usual.   For 7 weeks each summer we also deal with a camp that runs 4 moombas, conditions be dambed. They will pull tubes at 7 am behind multiple boats, while pulling a slalom skier from a different boat.  Some people you just don't understand or they don't care, and surfing is no different, when it comes to wrecking glass for skiing.

That being said, our house is on a cove known for good ski water.  We take the wake boat out of our cove into deep water for surfing.  Our cove is generally 12-15 feet deep, about a mile long and half a mile or less wide, and protected by a couple islands so not exactly ideal for surfing.  When you get out past the islands, the water goes to 150+ feet pretty fast, and opens to the main basin, that is about 7 miles long and wide, our surf waves are just regular rollers out there most days.

Not everyone is like us though.

im not going to comment to much on surfing but i cant stand it with a passion.  Maybe I'm biased growing up on the north shore Oahu.  However, one would think if im stuck in MI i would be all over it.  Honestly dealing with the boat rocking continuously, going slow, watching someone pump the wave for 10 minutes at 10.5 mph and then asking to throw them a beer so they cam get it on video, THEN drinking the beer and attempting a 360 to  only fall on their face..  well i will stick to flying high on a wakeboard, skiing some buoys or trying to hurt my friends on a tube “because i cant throw them” is where its at for me.    

Also ive noticed an uptick on people talking about their HOAs on lakes complaining or banning surfing.  

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • Like 1

I do think in small lakes where it is easily turned up, being curtious and not surfing when people are wakeboarding or skiing is a nice thing.  I wish more cared, but unfortunately  it's one of those things.  If I get a good pull on the wakeboard I am good but it is kind of just a selfish thing I guess.  While wouldn't want 24/7 glass.  Maybe you would not appreciate it as much if you had it always.

8 minutes ago, asnowman said:

We just ski early, usually best for us before the jet skis come out, right about 8:30-9am most days.  If we haven'tgotten our sets in by then, well..... but out the surf boat. Like @Sixball said, its really all the other boats, and this year there were definately more than usual.   For 7 weeks each summer we also deal with a camp that runs 4 moombas, conditions be dambed. They will pull tubes at 7 am behind multiple boats, while pulling a slalom skier from a different boat.  Some people you just don't understand or they don't care, and surfing is no different, when it comes to wrecking glass for skiing.

That being said, our house is on a cove known for good ski water.  We take the wake boat out of our cove into deep water for surfing.  Our cove is generally 12-15 feet deep, about a mile long and half a mile or less wide, and protected by a couple islands so not exactly ideal for surfing.  When you get out past the islands, the water goes to 150+ feet pretty fast, and opens to the main basin, that is about 7 miles long and wide, our surf waves are just regular rollers out there most days.

Not everyone is like us though.

It sucks the early morning stuff is out of the picture for me till the kids start to not care about being cold in the mormings. Plus they are like most kids and don't like to get out of bed. Lazy Bums.

• Like 1

Wow! And I can remember back when the slalom skiers could actually not stand wakeboarders, actually flipped them off in my area!😂

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, NHolladay said:

I do think in small lakes where it is easily turned up, being curtious and not surfing when people are wakeboarding or skiing is a nice thing.  I wish more cared, but unfortunately  it's one of those things.  If I get a good pull on the wakeboard I am good but it is kind of just a selfish thing I guess.  While wouldn't want 24/7 glass.  Maybe you would not appreciate it as much if you had it always.

I think the thing that tears up the lake for the rest while surfing is two things. 1. Speed at which the boat is going and the frequency of turning around. If I was in the water to do a deep water start and someone wakeboarding goes by at 25mph I'd hang out wait for a while and get going after a few min. Couldn't do that with a boat surfing around. 

If their running 25 wake boarding, they are sacked to the max, max!! The guys around here that have the 100mph River sleds hate everybody, so in the end everyone thinks there activity is more important 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Buy them swim team parkas.  Get a heater.  Or leave them on the dock.

+1 to leave them on the dock! we actually started putting out and skiing the slalom course, becasue in Maine you don't needa spotter if skiing in a course....:whistle:

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Buy them swim team parkas.  Get a heater.  Or leave them on the dock.

LOL. Unfortunetly my heater core was by passed due to improper winterizing before I bought the boat. Leaving the kids on the dock makes me lose my spotter. So I guess the options I have are to start looking for a heater core or friends that like to ski instead of ride around and drink. I'll look into the Parka's.

Where I was going with this thread is are others experinceing a very large amount of people surfing on there lakes. The smaller public lake I was refering  to has probably increased by 300% this year. Thats not an exageration. The bad part is I don't believe that it will ever go away. Because of how easy, and low impact it is. I'm just wondering how some of these smaller lakes can take having a large amount of these boats on the water at a time. 

The number of sea walls around here is a problem for water sports that need glass.  Rip rap is great, and kills waves quickly, but the walls just reflect waves back and forth. 

It used to be that several boats could pull skiers and everyone had great water, but now you get one pass even if you are the only boat out. 

And basically nobody surfs behind a boat here in the smaller waterways (yet) since it's only a few miles to the beach. 

6 minutes ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

Thats what wakesurfing is to a lot of people, I won't argue that.  Just don't put all of us in that camp.  

Similarly the number of boats I see with a wakeboarder who can go wake to wake both ways (not talking inverts or Raley’s) seems to be like 1:100. Most “wakeboarders” never even clear the wake heelside. At least not the ones I’ve seen. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Similarly the number of boats I see with a wakeboarder who can go wake to wake both ways (not talking inverts or Raley’s) seems to be like 1:100. Most “wakeboarders” never even clear the wake heelside. At least not the ones I’ve seen. 

I personally love the slammed boats for the 5-10 Y.O.s.  The wake is above their head but they are just cruising down the middle- no attempt at w2w or even 1w. 

4 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I personally love the slammed boats for the 5-10 Y.O.s.  The wake is above their head but they are just cruising down the middle- no attempt at w2w or even 1w. 

I think there have been four threads on here in the last month that are some variation of "new to wakeboarding. how much wedge and ballast should I use?"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

HAAAAA, truth!!  So my buddy in Dallas (Orthopedic surgeon) has the money to buy whatever.  Goes out and buys a 2019 G23 loaded.  Now disclaimer I grew up doing Raleys and lots of other inverts on the old school small wakes including my first Sportster LX.  He said go big and loaded that G23 down.  It was soooo insanely big that I couldn't even go W2W or any of my inverts it would throw me off so bad.  Told him to drop the ballast completely.  20 min later on a small wake all inverts/spins landed.  Probably why I still own an 08 VLX.  Yes the G23 Surfing wake was insane, but  ehhhh whatever.....