Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stern Turn/ Easy Drive

LucasC

Very timely @LucasC

I was looking at this thruster over the weekend.  And like @asnowman mentioned.  I would like to see how you mounted your controls.  It looks like you're reaching over the wheel with your left hand to the joystick so you can work it and the throttle simultaneously. 

Which joystick did you install?  Do you have pictures of it before it's mounted up?  I kind of want to see what it looks like laying on the table with the wires and bulkhead exposed.

msrp from malibu is 10k . but they make you also have a bigger alternator option which I think is another $600 . and there controller is on the throttle.  They dont use the diverter cowls but use an extension that sets it of the transom . I have bolted it flush on the transom . I have also added a third battery not that it was needed . I Have been using it daily for the past 3 weeks with no issues. I found they guys at Yacht Thruster extremely helpful and great to work with.

They have installation and pictures on there website if anyone is interested . 

• Like 2

For folks wondering about the remote.  

It's outside diameter is 1.45"  (without bezel) and 2 1/4" (with bezel).

The depth behind the bulkhead is pretty shallow.  1/8".  So I'm assuming a small hole is cut out for the electronic cable to pass through and perhaps a retention nut.

Install is basic . Plug &Play .  The only thing that can make it difficult is how good or bad is yourt access to your transom . as for price you can call them as they had an offer on them .

This would be a cool option but it looks like its somewhere around $4k for the kit which seems high. Maybe like GSA someone will come out with a cheaper option in the next few years. A wireless remote would be nice as well, to hold in your left hand while you throttle with your right....

On 9/6/2019 at 7:38 AM, asnowman said:

I have been informed the kit is soon to be available with a throttle mounted control, just like in the 2020 factory installed units.  

I have been informed of the same info. Comes down to cost. Do you want to do it yourself and save a few bucks or have Malibu do it. 

2 hours ago, timmypop said:

I have been informed of the same info. Comes down to cost. Do you want to do it yourself and save a few bucks or have Malibu do it. 

My understanding is Malibu will not be offering it as a retrofit, which is my need.  I am looking at it as a retrofit to my 2019.  But it always comes down to time available and cost. 

15 hours ago, asnowman said:

My understanding is Malibu will not be offering it as a retrofit, which is my need.  I am looking at it as a retrofit to my 2019.  But it always comes down to time available and cost. 

That is correct, Malibu will NOT do it direct as an option for aftermarket. (ONLY on 2020 options) We at Easy Drive will only supply aftermarket needs for boats already owned, your 2019 included of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 6:43 AM, easydrivebrian said:

That is correct, Malibu will NOT do it direct as an option for aftermarket. (ONLY on 2020 options) We at Easy Drive will only supply aftermarket needs for boats already owned, your 2019 included of course.

I'd love it on my boat.  group buy seems in order...

Edited by PNWoke
  • 3 months later...

I ordered one at the end of last season (I boat in Wisconsin).  Yesterday was at Chicago Boat Show and saw the throttle controller (just like factory on 2020s) is now available.  I added that to my order.  Excited to see how it works!

I just talked to Brian at EZ Drive this morning. They have special boat show pricing going on now.  The throttle control is a price upgrade over the joystick control but is supposed to be an easier install.

Unfortunately, I can't afford it at this time.

Edited by Kojak
  • 3 weeks later...

Our last major show before ramp up into season is in Dallas this week, great specials and potentially will be offering a Malibu Crew Group buy. For those interested just give me a call direct or send me a quick message. 305-310-3354

Edited by easydrivebrian
1 hour ago, easydrivebrian said:

Our last major show before ramp up into season is in Dallas this week, great specials and potentially will be offering a Malibu Crew Group buy. For those interested just give me a call direct or send me a quick message. 305-310-3354

Brian, I spoke to you a couple of weeks ago about adding this to my 2015 23 LSV.  Unfortunately it won't work due to the dual outlet exhaust on the 2015.  Are there any plans to adapt the EZ Drive to work on 2015 and older Malibus?  I'm guessing that there would be a market for that.  I know I'd like to add one to my boat.