Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Beeping after running

iliketoski

Hi Guys,

A weird problem, after water sports all day, I ran back to home base at 2800 rpm, when I brought it back to idle, i was getting the warning beeper.  It beeped out of gear and at low idle speed.  If I increased to 1200 rpm, it went away.  A quick check of gauges, all are normal.  checked all fluids and it repeated the issue later in the day under same scenario, after running for 10 min or so and slowing to idle.  Monsoon, 2001 1200 hrs VLX.  Everything else seems fine, runs good.

Any ideas?

Thx. 'ski

Could be an oil pressure sensor going bad.  There are 2 of them, both located just above the oil filter.  The smaller one would cause the beeping, you can simply unplug the wire connected to it to see if it is the cause.  The bigger sensor is for the gauge.

I believe there are only 4 things that can cause the beeps in that era. Hi engine temp, low oil pressure, hi tranny temp and ECM trouble code.  These are not the same sensor that feed the gauges.  A lot of the time it’s a bad sensor even though the gauges look good.  So I’d start there. 

I didn't get a chance to just pull the wire, so I just ordered a new sensor since they are not that much.  (The wire on the end of the sensor wouldn't come loose from the nut so it was just twisting as I was trying to remove, I need to cut it and put a new connector on the end)

The depth finder was actually the first thing I looked at when I it started beeping, (I've inadvertently set a depth alarm in the past).

10 hours ago, Cazan said:

I believe there are only 4 things that can cause the beeps in that era. Hi engine temp, low oil pressure, hi tranny temp and ECM trouble code.  These are not the same sensor that feed the gauges.  A lot of the time it’s a bad sensor even though the gauges look good.  So I’d start there. 

I do have a concern about a high tranny temp, how would this be addressed if you have good water circulation?  I'm not thinking an ECM trouble code given how the beeping occurs.

I received the oil pressure switch yesterday from DIM, but won't be back to the boat for 10 days, hopefully that is all it is.

Its weird how it won't occur unless I've run at speed for 10-15 min, and then beeps when I bring it back to idle speed or in neutral.  If I increase idle to above 800 rpm, it quits.

Are the computers smart enough to retain an error code history (maybe the dealer can pull a code if I hit a dead end)?

'ski

Edited by iliketoski

This is starting to sound like a blockage at the transmission cooler or a slipping impeller or both.  If your transmission fluid is OK, that's about the only way you could overheat it in regular use.

Have you serviced the impeller recently?  It can look fine, but on close inspection (by trying to peel the rubber away from the brass hub) you might find that the brass hub is actually slipping inside the rubber.  While you have the impeller out, pull the hose between the pump and the transmission cooler and inspect for any blockage in the hose or the cooler.

I checked both tranny and Vdrive fluids, both are good.  I typically change the impeller every other season, (due this year when I winterize).  If replacing the pressure switch doesn't fix the problem, definitely my next path.  When monitoring the temp gauge it seems to be behaving correctly though, but time for replacement anyway :-).

43 minutes ago, iliketoski said:

I checked both tranny and Vdrive fluids, both are good.  I typically change the impeller every other season, (due this year when I winterize).  If replacing the pressure switch doesn't fix the problem, definitely my next path.  When monitoring the temp gauge it seems to be behaving correctly though, but time for replacement anyway :-).

The temp gauge is for the engine.  I'm thinking it might be possible to overheat the transmission if the cooler is blocked in the right way or the raw water pump is weak.  Just a thought.

And I don't think the transmission has any way to set a code.

3 hours ago, Cazan said:

You don’t need to have the dealer pull the code...this is easy DIY. 

Any help on the location of the DLC?  I'm not familiar with its location and the picture is blurred (expired)?

8 minutes ago, justgary said:

It's next to the ECM. On a V drive, probably the forward starboard side.  Near where the throttle cable clamp post is, at the end of the head. 

Thx, I'll look for it next weekend.

thx for the pic, (that engine is much dirtier than mine :-))

So two more Q's

1. Will it retain the error code even if it is no longer triggered?
  2. Is there a list of codes?

I bet you're on the right track with replacing the oil pressure sensor. You're running under a load for an extended period which heats up the oil, dropping the pressure and giving a false low pressure signal upon returning to idle. Then you raise the RPM which increases pressure and sensor is satisfied again.

I had the same issue .. 

i fixed mine last week

it was the oil pressure (sensor)   its next to the oil  pressure switch .  (smaller) one 

start boat up .. once you hear beeping ... unplue this sensor .. wait (30 )  or so ..  and it shoudl stop

this threw me  off on my boat as thought unplugging this would auto-matically shut off this beeping /.

weeelllll  it does not    (unplug)  and ) WAITTTTT

good luch  

7 hours ago, fishermen1918 said:

I had the same issue .. 

i fixed mine last week

it was the oil pressure (sensor)   its next to the oil  pressure switch .  (smaller) one 

start boat up .. once you hear beeping ... unplue this sensor .. wait (30 )  or so ..  and it shoudl stop

this threw me  off on my boat as thought unplugging this would auto-matically shut off this beeping /.

weeelllll  it does not    (unplug)  and ) WAITTTTT

good luch  

Thx,  I'm trying the switch first, (already got one).  My buzzing goes off after I turn off/on the engine and may not start beeping again unless I run it for a while.

I talked to Vince today at Discount Inboard, he indicated the water temp also has a switch like the oil pressure, so that could be the culprit as well.  One problem, Vince couldn't describe where it is located on the Monsoon engine, does anyone know? 

Problem solved!!!!

I installed the new oil pressure switch and ran at speed for over 20 min 4 times.  No beeping!!!!!

This forum is such a great resource, not just saving money by DIY ($12), but avoiding the waste of time taking it to a dealer, (where they would struggle to duplicate the issue), since no on water immediate testing.

Thanks everyone!

'ski

Fantastic result!  Good on you for @iliketoski for  taking the time to chase this down and report back to the community, so we all can learn from it.  Good on TMC for giving up thief time to help a fellow boating enthusiast- what a great place this is, indeed!

-Whitecap