Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dont Judge: Is this where I attach a tube rope?

bkearney

@Michigan boarder — that’s what I felt.  I have great control with tube off center pylon.  Is it fine pulling 1 - 3 tubes off the main center pylon???

actually on my fly high pole there is a swivel pylon which is at the main level of the main pylon and that’s where I pull tubes or if I don’t have fly pole on then i use main pylon   

i just don’t want to abuse it too much.  

3 hours ago, bkearney said:

i looked in the later manual, and could not find anything about weights,

Yup you will not.  On the actual warning labels in the boat on the tower and at rear of the boat near the handle.  Go figure.....  

14 hours ago, moski said:

@Michigan boarder — that’s what I felt.  I have great control with tube off center pylon.  Is it fine pulling 1 - 3 tubes off the main center pylon???

actually on my fly high pole there is a swivel pylon which is at the main level of the main pylon and that’s where I pull tubes or if I don’t have fly pole on then i use main pylon   

I would only do 1 tube at a time, maybe unless they were really little kids I'd do 2.

15 hours ago, moski said:

On both my 95 Echelon and my 2005 VLX I have towed 4 adults on the center pylon for quite a few hours. 1-3 tubes on the pylon should not be a huge issue. You guys actually bring up a fun idea to add rope segments that are designed to break at a certain threshold. You could make short user replaceable sections that would snap if a tube submerges etc. Question would be where to put them. on the pylon seems like the place for a v drive, since the rope would hit the water on snap back...

Thought I'd describe my tube towing technique:

Once on plane, get the tube out of the wake, starboard side.  Accelerate slightly and turn hard to starboard then straight.  Watch tube go to port side.  As soon as tube is done traveling into port flats and wants to come back into the wake, accelerate and turn hard to port then straight, and decelerate.  This creates a lip that launches the tube on their way outside of the wake on the starboard side.  As soon as tube is done traveling into starboard flats, accelerate and turn hard to starboard and then straight, and decelerate.  This creates a lip that launches the tube on their way outside of the wake on the port side.  Repeat over, and over, and over.  The kids love the slingshot effect and the landings are smoother because they are coming out of the wake, not into it.  Errant wakes crossings and wind speed along the way add variability to the bouncing.  The important part is keeping tension on the rope thru all of the acceleration and deceleration, but it's easy once you get the feel for it.  It is impossible to do the above from the grab rail or transom eyes though.

• Like 1

This is from the ski pylon on my Sportster.

Routinely pulled 3 tubes with 200 plus lb men and never had an issue.

This was too many as the middle guys kept falling off. It was very difficult to steer the boat at low speeds to retrieve fallen riders, that wasn't an issue with the 3 one-man tubes.

IMG_20190830_130428730.jpg

Edited by Raimie

I agree with what others said here.. pulling from the rear handle sucks. You cannot control the tubes like you can on the pylon or tower. I think you need to get the tow point in front of the rudder.

With both T22's I have towed tubes from the tower. I am conscious of the weight & number of tubes, but it hasn't been an issue for me to date. The Axis towers are pretty beefy though.

On 9/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, pauley71 said:

I mean ...I would if I allowed tubing ;) 

That's funny right there, and nobody laughed! 

They were too busy looking at their shoes and acting innocent. 

Tubing has it's place. It has helped my daughter gain confidence and get comfortable going faster on the water. She can be very cautious and after getting more confidence on the tube now she stands on the Zup board and wants to try surfing. Also, I have a ton of guests out all summer with young kids. Sometimes I don't have time to teach everyone individually, so it is nice to throw 4 kids on a tube for 10 minutes, swap out another 4 kids and in 1 hour everyone has had their fill with 3 rides for all 8 kids. If I gave all 8 kids a half hour on the zup/wakeboard/skis/surfboard... it would eat up 4 hours...which would use up all the calm water and the kids patience to sit in the boat while the adults get their turns in.

Plus the big boys like to prove their manhood once or twice a year on the 3 single tubes :rofl: 

For the record though, you won't catch me on a tube... I have dished out way more than I'm willing to take, plus I HATE not being in control.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Raimie said:

For the record though, you won't catch me on a tube... I have dished out way more than I'm willing to take, plus I HATE not being in control.

Got to be an engineering thing.

• 2 months later...